It take the paint off your car and wreck your FRIDAY, too...

Started by MetalDog, March 27, 2015, 06:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Speaking of not getting to play: I just spent about two hours setting up a new AAR for my first Deadnauts campaign; and then discovered that unless I actually start a mission, the campaign doesn't save (nor can it be manually saved, since this is a roguelike).

All that effort, mostly wasted. The game naturally generated a whole new set of cretins, and a new mission, when I restarted.  :tickedoff:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 01, 2015, 07:44:55 PM
Speaking of not getting to play: I just spent about two hours setting up a new AAR for my first Deadnauts campaign; and then discovered that unless I actually start a mission, the campaign doesn't save (nor can it be manually saved, since this is a roguelike).

All that effort, mostly wasted. The game naturally generated a whole new set of cretins, and a new mission, when I restarted.  :tickedoff:

Huh, really?  I could've sworn I was able to rejoin a campaign after immediately quitting following the completion of a mission.  Although I suppose it's possible I had started the next mission first, just to see.  Quite an oversight by the devs if true.

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on April 01, 2015, 06:58:51 PM
But did you get to PLAY your new character?
Heck no!  Too much time was spent on the creation process and various, um, conversational digressions.  (That, plus it took a while for my friend and I to come up with a halfway plausible-sounding backstory for my new half-orc wizard...)  :-[  ::) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 02, 2015, 12:43:52 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 01, 2015, 07:44:55 PM
Speaking of not getting to play: I just spent about two hours setting up a new AAR for my first Deadnauts campaign; and then discovered that unless I actually start a mission, the campaign doesn't save (nor can it be manually saved, since this is a roguelike).

All that effort, mostly wasted. The game naturally generated a whole new set of cretins, and a new mission, when I restarted.  :tickedoff:

Huh, really?  I could've sworn I was able to rejoin a campaign after immediately quitting following the completion of a mission.  Although I suppose it's possible I had started the next mission first, just to see.  Quite an oversight by the devs if true.

No, fortunately that wasn't the problem. I hadn't even accepted the first mission yet. I understand the point: there are no manual saves, and the game hadn't gone far enough to autosave because I hadn't started the mission -- thus allowing the player, when starting a campaign, to scope out the situation randomly rolled up and decide whether or not to launch the campaign from there. Going back to the main menu effectively refuses the roll.

I do wish they had thought to add a manual save button for this stage (if only this stage) however since someone might want to keep the game but hadn't finished prepping yet and then had to leave (which is what happened with me, in principle; normally a player would only need a few minutes to consider and prep for the first mission, or to reject the campaign start and try again).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

This does mean in practice that if I try to re-create a gamestart for an AAR along the basic plotline I had developed, I'll need to slot enough time to get all that done and then start the mission.

(Or, I might go back to messing with my Russian Darkest Hour AAR mod AAR. ;) Is it Friday yet? It has to be Friday somewhere...)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!