What does it take to be a 'grog'?

Started by MetalDog, March 31, 2015, 07:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MetalDog on March 31, 2015, 07:13:50 PM
As I have once again been remanded to burning at the stake for not having seen some minor, poorly watched, and soon to be cancelled television show called, 'Firefly,' I began to think, "What is the definition of a grog?"  To me, it would be someone who is well read in history and geography, keeps up with current events and plays games of a 'war,' type nature.  There are other things as well.  I've been pilloried for not having seen movies like, 'Saving Private Ryan,' 'The Longest Day,' or whatever that Brad Pitt tank movie was called.  As if, not having watched them makes me less of a grog.

So, in the spirit of finding out what one defines a 'grog,' I ask you, gentle reader, what is a 'grog,' to you?
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

Burnt at the stake is too good for you my friend!!

"minor" and "poorly watched" are two words that deserve no place in the same sentence as the utterly superb Firefly and why in God's good name have you not seen SPR yet? It's absolutely stunning as a visual fest and the story ain't too bad neither.

You need to get your house in order  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

I have to say, missing Saving Private Ryan is a travesty.  What an awesome movie.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

undercovergeek

I dunno, there's levels of grog that can really piss me off like people who won't play or complain about games because the buttons on the Austrian skirmishers uniform is wrong - there once was a huge thread over at battlefront about the stock of the m1 - just play the damn game!!!

I think, as the name suggests I'm more of a geek than a grog, I love wargames but don't care if the 1812 scenario has the flag that wasn't designed until 1813

But then my geek is weak occasionally, as I didn't even know what firefly was until chatting with the fine gents on here, couldn't tell you which system boba fetts armour came from or be one of those that insisted Ewan mcgregors mole be paint shopped out because Alec Guiness didn't have one

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

MetalDog

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 01, 2015, 12:24:19 AM
As I have once again been remanded to burning at the stake for not having seen some minor, poorly watched, and soon to be cancelled television show called, 'Firefly,' I began to think, "What is the definition of a grog?"  To me, it would be someone who is well read in history and geography, keeps up with current events and plays games of a 'war,' type nature.  There are other things as well.  I've been pilloried for not having seen movies like, 'Saving Private Ryan,' 'The Longest Day,' or whatever that Brad Pitt tank movie was called.  As if, not having watched them makes me less of a grog.

So, in the spirit of finding out what one defines a 'grog,' I ask you, gentle reader, what is a 'grog,' to you?

"minor" and "poorly watched" are two words that deserve no place in the same sentence as the utterly superb Firefly and why in God's good name have you not seen SPR yet? It's absolutely stunning as a visual fest and the story ain't too bad neither.

Thanks, JD.  You're not the first to suggest just such a thing :)

As for what I watch or don't watch, it's mostly what tickles my fancy when the tv is on.  Very little to nothing, makes me turn my tv on now.  The only things I make appointment viewing are Game of Thrones and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.  Oh, Veep and Silicon Valley, too.  Basically HBO's Sunday night lineup.  And now that baseball season is almost here, I'll have the ball game on.  That's it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MetalDog on April 01, 2015, 06:09:14 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 01, 2015, 12:24:19 AM

Thanks, JD.  You're not the first to suggest just such a thing :)

As for what I watch or don't watch, it's mostly what tickles my fancy when the tv is on.  Very little to nothing, makes me turn my tv on now.  The only things I make appointment viewing are Game of Thrones and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.  Oh, Veep and Silicon Valley, too.  Basically HBO's Sunday night lineup.  And now that baseball season is almost here, I'll have the ball game on.  That's it.
I'm very nearly almost ready to get a flight to the states and WALK to your house from wherever I land so that I can personally give you my Bluray copy of SPR - it's THAT good

:2funny:
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Good, then I'll give you my Firefly boxed set together with 'Serenity' and you can pass those on to him as well!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Some kind of watered down alcoholic beverage, heated a bit with fire?

I don't drink, so I could be wrong about the specifics, but I feel like that's pretty close based on things I've read... ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on March 31, 2015, 07:13:50 PMwhat is a 'grog,' to you?

someone who bothers to occasionally read the front page at GROGheads  :tickedoff:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Great question Dawg,

I consider myself a minor league grog.

A supreme grog, in my mind, is someone who knows the World's history of conflict, not just dates, technology, strategy/tactics, kit and stats, but also the politics, culture and socio-economic conditions lending themselves to the conflicts. They can tell you why the JIN played second fiddle  to the Army despite having amazing successes.

Most importantly, they game with this knowledge.

Knowing/loving Firefly is nerd cred, not grog cred. Knowing/loving Panzer Leader is grog cred, not nerd cred.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 01, 2015, 12:51:53 PM

someone who bothers to occasionally read the front page at GROGheads  :tickedoff:

I told you I was a minor leaguer....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 01, 2015, 12:51:53 PM

There's a front page at Grogheads?!!  :o
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

^^^^

note, that's nerd cred, if you get the reference