It's Friday my Groggy Gamers

Started by JudgeDredd, April 24, 2015, 12:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:23:48 AM
And seriously no one has played a Clash video yet?  WTF is our problem here?


OK...


















Not the Clash but certainly related:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Quote from: Bison on April 25, 2015, 07:17:09 AM
I'll have to go reads some of the threads.  It certainly sounds like it's a bug.  Also make Mrs. Bob buy you the DLC so you don't have to have a guilty conscience.

OK, this is strange. According to the 1.5 patch notes, 'Age of Deception' now only applies to factions that the caster is at war with, and yet, in my last game, I got hit with it even though I was not at war with anyone.

I'm going to abandon that game and start afresh and see what happens.

Nice idea, Bison - I've passed on your comment to Mrs.B.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

This Age of Bawb bug disturbs me. Haven't bought the DLC yet but it still disturbs me.

The Magnificent Seven is the 2nd best Clash song of all time.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Can't wait for next Friday to put this 80's music flashback nightmare to rest.   :knuppel2:

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2015, 08:30:22 AM
This Age of Bawb bug disturbs me. Haven't bought the DLC yet but it still disturbs me.

The Magnificent Seven is the 2nd best Clash song of all time.

Started a new random map using the Hobbits Haflings (yes, I just got Golden Realms). Like what I see so far, and no problems, although I'm only 50 or so turns into the game.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Arctic Blast

I've been buying a lot of indie games over the past week, so I need to start trying some of those out. On the table, Super Dungeon Explore : Forgotten King, Jupiter Rescue, Colt Express and Black Fleet are hitting the table today and tomorrow. Possibly some others, too.

Oh, and :




Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Kaiju-A-Go-Go (tomorrow probably, too late tonight) -- haven't gamed much yesterday, and mostly played Reach for the Sun (a light strategy game about helping a flower grow; seriously, it's a real-time or turn-based resource strategy building game) with Nicemous Prime (plus some phone strategy games like Stone Age).

But today, from out of nowhere, came the news.

The news that, in effect, Crush, Crumble, and Chomp had been mixed with X-Com and released.

This is a game that hasn't existed since, CC&C's own lightweight remake The Movie Monster Game back in the 80s. (...no music video.)

IT
LIVES
AGAIN
BETTER
THAN
EVER!!

Or so I hope. Will report later.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

What is it, a digital 'Creature that Ate Sheboygan' -type game?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Yes. Yes. A Thousand Times Yes.

(The UI could use some more refining. As could the tutorial. But it's very much a spiritual successor and major improvement to the old CC&C game.)

The game ships with one 'campaign', using GINORMASAURUS! -- a robot dinosaur. (Essentially Mechagodzilla.) The devs missed their original Kickstarter goal, but wisely chose to devote the money they received to finishing and releasing the game with only one monster (G-saur). Anyone buying in now will get another two monster campaigns for free (an "Ashely" type plant creature created by an expy of Poison Ivy, and a Frankenstein-type hulk). As each creature is released, the base price for the game goes up a dollar. It's one of the most reasonable release progressions I've seen. (Future monsters beyond the first three will be typical DLC.)

As with CC&C, the player starts any campaign with a basic chassis (in this case a MechaG expy) which has some basic abilities somewhat similar to and somewhat different from other chassis. In the original CCC the player then bought various abilities at certain fixed costs from an overall cost pool provided by the basic chassis -- some abilities were unique to some chassis or cost more or less than on other chassis. Then the player took their monster into a metropolis inspired by realworld cities and simply tried to rack up a score by surviving long enough to destroy enough things to get a high score. (I don't recall if the original game was real-time or turn based. I think tb.) Aside from the military continually ramping up its threat so long as the monster roamed, biological creatures (there was one robot chassis originally) also had to eat and so the player had to plot how to grab and eat fleeing civilians or attacking soldiers.

All that stuff is in Kaiju-A-Go-Go, too. (Or will be as the dev releases further chassis.) But there's one huge difference (aside from the game being realtime now.)

The difference is that the player has a secret island, with a secret base; and the player sends the monster out to attack cities around the world. Much like in X-Com the monster takes time to get to the city and back; once at the city your attacks on various buildings (and especially landmarks) yield various kinds of resources, which the monster collects (or not if the resource falls off to the side behind where you're sending the monster -- or if the monster's capacity for that resource is full). The monster can be destroyed by the military -- so can the city! -- which sends out increasingly more powerful troops in response to your threat; so eventually the player needs to plot a retreat off the map, whereupon the monster returns back to base and offloads its stash. The island is mostly forested, but you direct your minions to clear off trees and to build new facilities of various kinds, which provide various benefits (but need payment of various costs plus continuing upkeep). The monster takes time to repair; and then can be trained in offense, defense, or movement skills (which also takes time and costs various resources). In this and some other senses it's quite XCommy.

The goal is to force the worlds' governments to capitulate to your rule by terrorizing them into submission through destroying the major cities in each region. Cities will partially rebuild over time as the monster is traveling back and forth from the island (and repairing, and training, and going off to smash other cities for fun and profit), which recovers some regional morale; and the military will also begin setting up cordons in areas that have been often hit. Sometimes your communications array back at base will pick up on special benefits or problems in cities, for example (in my current game) Costa Rica could suffer a drought which renders it especially susceptible to fire, increasing the amount of incidental damage caused by the monster (and the military response). And also increasing the environmental damage if the monster is caught in the fire! (The Ginormasaur chassis isn't very vulnerable to fire, I think; but presumably the plant and the frankenmonster would be.)

As regions begin to capitulate to your rule, the world's governments will eventually find your island base and launch military attacks on it. They can even develop their own kaiju and deploy that in a city or against your base!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

southern_cross_116

Watching hockey, and throwing together some scenarios (which are pretty rough at this stage) for Tiller's REN - the point being mostly to show what you can and cannot do with the engine - and that is mainly about showing the division between programmer and a title's scenario designer. A lot of the interpretation of an engine is through the lens of its scenario designer -especially in the initial title in a series.

These things at this point amount to my messing around, as opposed to anything else (they are that unpolished).  :D

RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Graphics Coordinator, Artist, etc... for JTS
Owner/Webmaster:
Scenario Design Center (hist-sdc.com)

Huw the Poo

Dammit!  There was a post on Steam mentioning that the Compendium for Dota 2's next International will go on sale next week!  So I just had to start playing it again, didn't I?!  Just offline with bots for now as I'm pretty damn rusty, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless. :)

Toonces

#118
OOOF, so hard to comment!

Too loaded...I'll trya gain tomorrow!!1!!   :D

Gus - 1
Bicon  - 2
rest - 3
clast - 4 i hate them
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces



F-yeah, and even Starfury can't argue with that!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs