To Boldly Go Where no one has GOGed before

Started by Tpek, May 07, 2015, 08:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on May 07, 2015, 03:04:30 PM
Quote from: Toonces on May 07, 2015, 02:57:48 PM
Fridge Commander.  That was the one I was thinking of.

lol. Counselor Troi, make me a sammich!

Ahahaha!- *cough-hack-wheeze*
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Yyyyeah, there's this BotF AAR that's run on the front page a few times...something like 10 episodes posted by this point. ;)

And yes, Brant, I know it needs to be updated.  :-[

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Martok on May 07, 2015, 04:00:20 PM

Would also love to have a GOG version of Klingon Academy too, if only so that I don't have to spend the time messing around with six f***ing disks every damn time I want to play or install it.  :-\  >:(  :o  ::) 

Ahhhh...the good old days of gaming.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Martok

#18
^  LOL, yep.  (I've still got 'em in that original sleeve too!) 

On the other hand, KA did come with a wonderfully thick and comprehensive manual.  It covered not just gameplay, but all the various nations' ships, plus a good deal of the game's backstory/lore as well.  I've spent many happy hours just poring over its pages.  :) 



But yeah, a disk-free version would be awfully nice. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on May 08, 2015, 09:44:42 AM
^  LOL, yep.  (I've still got 'em in that original sleeve too!) 




Same, with the manual.   

I probably ended up reading the manual more than playing the game. 

IIRC, I picked Klingon Academy up awhile after it had been out and had just built a new machine with a new Windows OS (XP?) shortly afterward.  Ran into buggy problems with it after that and didn't put as much time into it.  :-\  Would be nice to have a better behaving version.

BanzaiCat

I remember the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game - I think, when it was on the shelves of the Babbage's I worked at back in the day. Never played it, though. Is it worth it today?

I did watch a few Let's Play videos but not a lot - if I buy it I don't want to know the plot. But I DO remember that first battle on the bridge; I think I played it on the store's PC, and couldn't get the hang of the controls, and therefore couldn't win that simulated battle, so I got frustrated and never tried it again.

Tpek

^I think there were some "cheat codes" to skip those annoying parts.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 08, 2015, 03:22:21 PM
I remember the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game - I think, when it was on the shelves of the Babbage's I worked at back in the day. Never played it, though. Is it worth it today?

I did watch a few Let's Play videos but not a lot - if I buy it I don't want to know the plot. But I DO remember that first battle on the bridge; I think I played it on the store's PC, and couldn't get the hang of the controls, and therefore couldn't win that simulated battle, so I got frustrated and never tried it again.

I think they're still worth it, enough that I bought them both.  I always felt that these two games were really the only two Star Trek games that truly got it right. The version on GoG is the one with full voice acting from all the principal cast.  I also never got to play Judgement Rites, so I'm looking forward to that. 

The space combat was never the strong point of these games.  I'm finding it a bit hard to pull off with the pixelated graphics, but I'm getting the hang of it. 

Star Trek The Secret of Vulcan Fury was going to be the fully motion capture followup to the 25th Anniversary games, but it never saw the light of day.  I've always regarded it as one of my greatest gaming disappointments that they were unable to continue to produce the TOS games. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

BanzaiCat

I screwed the pooch even before the first mission could start. Got those orders to go to the Pollux system and I just kind of winged it. Ended up in the Neutral Zone somehow, fighting a D-7, which promptly blew me to bits, and in short order.

I think that was copy protection punishment...which is strange as I thought GOG cleared all that bullshite out. (None of my other games on GOG require those manual-required copy protection schemes.)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 13, 2015, 04:33:25 PM
I screwed the pooch even before the first mission could start. Got those orders to go to the Pollux system and I just kind of winged it. Ended up in the Neutral Zone somehow, fighting a D-7, which promptly blew me to bits, and in short order.

I think that was copy protection punishment...which is strange as I thought GOG cleared all that bullshite out. (None of my other games on GOG require those manual-required copy protection schemes.)

You have to consult the manual.  The starmap is printed in there.  That was the old school DRM.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback