Modern Equivalent of LucasArts Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe?

Started by Gusington, May 16, 2015, 02:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

I loved Battlehawks 1942 and Their Finest Hour back 25 years ago. I missed out and never played Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, and it haunts me to this day...I really feel like I missed out  :(

Can anyone recommend a release in the last five years similar to Secret Weapons? I picked up BOMB recently but I don't expect it to be as epic. I also played Crimson Skies about 10 years after it was released and pretty much missed the boat there too.

Any suggestions appreciated!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

There's always IL-2, available at GOG for $9.99. It's the 1946 version and has a crapload of content including stuff from the Pacific theater and even Luft'46-type planes.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

^Pretty much what Staggerwing said, but IL2-1946 goes on sale fairly frequently anymore.  Just saw it for $2.49 on HumbleBundle store the other day, so if you're interested in it, wait a bit and it'll be on sale somewhere...

p.s.  Its been a while since I've messed with IL2-1946, but always was able to find some interesting stuff/mods over at SAS and All Aircraft Simulations.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Hmm interesting. You guys enjoyed Il2 1946? I know some of the more recent releases from that shop have not been so er...warmly received (CLoD).

EDIT: Checked out the reviews on Steam and they are almost uniformly excellent. Looks like there's tons of missions, campaigns and planes to fly...I am going to assume the Me262 and the Komet are in there, and German 'flying wing' planes...those are the ones I am really looking for. Is there a '1946' campaign, flyable from the German side?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 16, 2015, 03:45:51 PM
There's always IL-2, available at GOG for $9.99. It's the 1946 version and has a crapload of content including stuff from the Pacific theater and even Luft'46-type planes.

Nope.  Cannot compare.  There's no big campaign where you plot your raids, etc.

Quote from: wikipediaCampaign Battles are the heart of SWOTL, allowing the Player to plan missions inside the Campaign Battles, using the Mission builder. This feature allows the player plan their own way to fight the air war, without any limitations. Whatever the player's tactics, the success or defeat are determined by several overall Winning/Losing conditions. In particular, there are 8 factors which make up the German war economy in SWOTL:

GERMAN FIGHTER PILOTS
DEPLOYED GERMAN GRUPPEN (LUFTWAFFE GROUPS)
AVIATION FUEL
JET FUEL
GASOLINE IN STOCK
MUNITIONS IN STOCK
BALL BEARINGS IN STOCK
TRANSPORTATION CONDITION
Of these 8 factors, only the first 4 have direct impact on the Luftwaffe. The last 4 factors are general war industries, and so they affect only the German ground forces. American Campaign Battles will have as a goal the destruction of the war industries (Strategic Bombing), the Luftwaffe (D-Day Air Superiority), or both (Final Victory). German Campaign Battles concern the defense of the same elements.

magnus

IL-2 1946 is probably 12 years old+-.

It has a staggering amount of mods now, but it does not have a strategic campaign as was pointed out.

SAS has a mod, used to be " full Monty ", that allows you to fly from 1914 until the 1990s I believe, with all the bells and whistles.

Staggerwing

Ok then.

There is one other flight sim that can be had for a reasonable price that has campaigns for both axis and allied players: Battle of Britain II.-.Wings of Victory. It is a reworking of Rowan's original BOB game. It is not cutting edge but the planes look pretty good considering the game's age and the campaigns are detailed, with maps and raid planning or defensive prepositioning. Also, the game engine allows for a shitload of aircraft to be part of a mission while keeping the frame rates reasonable.




Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

W8taminute

jomni hit the nail on the head.  I really don't think there is a game out there that does exactly what SWOTL did but that BOB game you mentioned Stagger comes close.  I had so much fun playing as the Germans and researching jets in SWOTL.  If you could survive the allied bombing campaign and get to jets the tide of the battle quickly changed in your favor.  I remember tearing bomber formations apart single handidly in an Me-262.  Flying the Komet rocket plane was a riot as well.

Playing as the allies was fun too because you needed to bomb the science labs of the Luftwaffe to prevent them from getting jets.  Then there were the V1 sites to get rid of.  I can't remember but wasn't it also part of the missions to try and knock V1s out of the sky as well?

Oh and one more thing.  How cool was it that you could rename pilots and bomber crews?  I used to name my best fighter pilots after my friends and family. It hurt like hell when one of them were shot down though.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: magnus on May 16, 2015, 06:45:19 PM
IL-2 1946 is probably 12 years old+-.

It has a staggering amount of mods now, but it does not have a strategic campaign as was pointed out.

SAS has a mod, used to be " full Monty ", that allows you to fly from 1914 until the 1990s I believe, with all the bells and whistles.

Its called the CUP, or Community Universal Patch. it is downloadable in 3 separate modules...Dawn of Flight covering WWI, WWII covering the obvious, and Jet Age, which adds Korea, Vietnam and beyond.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

I like flying B-17 in the Swotl campaign. Finishing a tour of 25 missions was a great achievement .

Gusington

So there is nothing released in the last 10 years that has a dynamic campaign that also allows piloting of the Me262 and Komet?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nope.

You can use the DGEN random dynamic campaign generator for Il2-1946 but it's not very interesting.

You can also create a campaign for War Thunder and select the 262 or the 229 or the 163 and fly those but they have silly victory conditions that only work if you're playing arcade mode.

jomni


Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2015, 09:47:53 PM
So there is nothing released in the last 10 years that has a dynamic campaign that also allows piloting of the Me262 and Komet?

RPS has just done a 25 best sims if you fancy a peep over there