Modern Equivalent of LucasArts Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe?

Started by Gusington, May 16, 2015, 02:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

...and it's a pretty silly list in my opinion. Farming simulator? Rising sun? Some very questionable choices and some glaring omissions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2015, 09:47:53 PM
So there is nothing released in the last 10 years that has a dynamic campaign that also allows piloting of the Me262 and Komet?

Not that I know of. 

For reasons that escape me, the era of immersive dynamic campaigns being an integral part of modern sims is very long dead.

I would almost do murder for a modern sim in the style of the Dynamix Aces series, Pacific/European Air War series or the Lucasarts classics. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

This thread has made me sad. Moreso than usual.

Anyone play Secret Weapons Over Normandy? IIRC it was released in 2003 but it may be my last (only) option here.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2015, 11:19:25 AM
...and it's a pretty silly list in my opinion. Farming simulator? Rising sun? Some very questionable choices and some glaring omissions.

I was hoping gus would see I wasn't recommending farm 2015 as a substitute to the secret weapons of the luftwaffe, more of a hopefully there's some other adult discussion about flight sims

Forgive me if its not just flight I haven't read it

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2015, 01:39:26 PM
This thread has made me sad. Moreso than usual.

Anyone play Secret Weapons Over Normandy? IIRC it was released in 2003 but it may be my last (only) option here.

Secret Weapons over Normandy was the first game I thought of when you posted the question. I have not played it so I google a few game vids and was not impressed. It looks like you can only fly with your view outside the plane in a pure arcade fashion. Also, there appears to be only one campaign and it's allied.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Yeah I just looked it up too.

*kicks pebble down the road, crestfallen*
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2015, 02:03:39 PM
Yeah I just looked it up too.

*kicks pebble down the road, crestfallen*

It passes gus my friend

I wanted to fly helicopters last week

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2015, 04:01:34 PM
Hmm interesting. You guys enjoyed Il2 1946? I know some of the more recent releases from that shop have not been so er...warmly received (CLoD).


CLoD is worth looking into, though it is sort of the opposite of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.  It's more like actual weapons of the Luftwaffe.  Flying the Ju88 is pretty
fun though in CLoD, no matter how you look at it. -- But I haven't played CLoD in about a year.  currently I'm playing DCS (you can fly the F-86 which is sort of a WWII secret weapon kind of plane in some ways) and BoS (the Ju52 is fun to shoot down and the La5 has a kind of secret-weapons look to it) an RoF (the FE2 is weird enough to have a secret weapons look to it and the you can put extra guns on the Dolphin for a secret weapon-like effect oh and there is the Gotha!)

Gusington

I remember flying the Ju88, the He111 and the Dornier bomber (17?) in Their Finest Hour. That game made those bombers real to me. And I fell in love with the Bf110.

While we're at it someone somewhere should make a modern sim of the Bf110 with a good ground attack mode. I'd buy that for a dollar. And a Stuka sim with the same.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2015, 06:10:31 PM
I remember flying the Ju88, the He111 and the Dornier bomber (17?) in Their Finest Hour. That game made those bombers real to me. And I fell in love with the Bf110.

While we're at it someone somewhere should make a modern sim of the Bf110 with a good ground attack mode. I'd buy that for a dollar. And a Stuka sim with the same.

I'd buy that too. 

However, I'd buy it with the caveat that it must have a dynamic campaign with some measure of immersion attached, even if it was at the sake of hyper realism. 

This is the problem with modern sims.  They sacrifice everything to make sure that every button, rivet and dial is spot on correct, but they give no context for anything you do.  In essence, they forget the "game" part of the equation. 

Maybe it's that modern developers with any kind of budget simply don't believe that there is a viable audience for such a game anymore.  However, the fact that there are modding collectives out there putting in massive amounts of unpaid free time to try to to eek out every last sliver of entertainment from the last games that gave that kind of experience leads me to conclude that there's a big section of the sim community that feels something is missing. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Ok so I suppose I can't get a modern version of Secret Weapons. I've wrapped my brain around that.

So...how's Wings of Prey?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Gus, BOB2 may not have any jets in the core game but you can fly the Bf110. In ground attacks even!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2015, 08:13:33 PM
Ok so I suppose I can't get a modern version of Secret Weapons. I've wrapped my brain around that.
SWOTL was great back in the day. You've hit the nail on the head for a SWOTL 2  - there's clearly a market for it.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Quote from: Boggit on May 18, 2015, 03:28:19 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2015, 08:13:33 PM
Ok so I suppose I can't get a modern version of Secret Weapons. I've wrapped my brain around that.
SWOTL was great back in the day. You've hit the nail on the head for a SWOTL 2  - there's clearly a market for it.

But the rivet counters will spoil it. It will turn out like most modern sims.  great in technical detail but lacks a decent campaign and fun factor.