Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

Microsoft has become really shitty with the updates. You have to read the fine print very closely.

No way will I update to Win 10. Win 7 may be the last Microsoft OS I use.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2015, 07:54:57 PM
Microsoft has become really shitty with the updates. You have to read the fine print very closely.

No way will I update to Win 10. Win 7 may be the last Microsoft OS I use.

Putting on a tuxedo anytime soon?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 25, 2015, 08:04:58 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2015, 07:54:57 PM
Microsoft has become really shitty with the updates. You have to read the fine print very closely.

No way will I update to Win 10. Win 7 may be the last Microsoft OS I use.

Putting on a tuxedo anytime soon?

I may go that route. I've run Linux distros a few times.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2015, 08:07:55 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 25, 2015, 08:04:58 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2015, 07:54:57 PM
Microsoft has become really shitty with the updates. You have to read the fine print very closely.

No way will I update to Win 10. Win 7 may be the last Microsoft OS I use.

Putting on a tuxedo anytime soon?

I may go that route. I've run Linux distros a few times.

Once they get ALL of my games/software to run under Linux I'm right there with you.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Considering that I play about 5 percent of the games I own, I don't really need broad based Linux support.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

This theme may need it's own subforum: 'Tuxedo Grog'... a how-to.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

It's pretty easy these days. Ubuntu/Kubuntu is primetime ready to go.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on August 25, 2015, 08:18:43 PM

Once they get ALL of my games/software to run under Linux I'm right there with you.

Would you settle for Linux if they cover all of the games you own which you actually play?  :))
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2015, 08:30:40 PM
Considering that I play about 5 percent of the games I own, I don't really need broad based Linux support.

I came to the same realisation before deciding to go 100% Linux.  Yeah, I have some games I can no longer play, but realistically I probably would never have played them anyway.  More than half of the games I have run just fine on Linux and that number improves all the time, with new games increasingly likely to support Linux from day one.

Staggerwing

The new pc I'm (slowly) building will probably be dual-boot. I'm eager to see what Linux can do on a modern rig as opposed to the leftover old creaky boxes I've tried it out on before.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2015, 08:30:40 PM
Considering that I play about 5 percent of the games I own, I don't really need broad based Linux support.

Good point. You know, I should throw Linux on one of my older PCs just to see what exactly would work. Huw, which distro do you recommend if I decide to pursue such madness?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bbmike on August 26, 2015, 08:16:31 AM
Good point. You know, I should throw Linux on one of my older PCs just to see what exactly would work. Huw, which distro do you recommend if I decide to pursue such madness?

I always recommend Linux Mint to those new to Linux, although having said that, I'm running it myself at the moment too (and really liking it).  I use the KDE edition.

To anyone curious about Linux, don't forget that you can burn distros to DVDs or USB sticks and boot from them to test them out, no changes to the hard drive necessary.  And I'm always glad to help with questions etc.

Staggerwing

Have you found any notable games or apps that have issues under Mint but not under Ubuntu?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

Nope, and there shouldn't be any; Mint is based on Ubuntu and uses a lot of its packages.

Staggerwing

Cool. Looking forward to trying Mint then.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys