Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boggit

I've change my settings from "automatic" to "let me choose to download and install" as a result of this thread. Checking my update history it looks like W10 tried and failed to install on a number of occasions.

I did reserve a copy, but not knowing whether I would have legacy problems with games I deliberated have sat back to see what W10 was all about. I can't say I'm at all comfortable with it given the way Microsoft are operating, as well as evading legitimate questions from the press.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

steve58

#136
Quote from: mirth on September 10, 2015, 11:28:32 AM
You might have Windows 10 even if you didn't ask for it

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

Yup, got a 4+GB hidden directory on my HD.   I knew it was there since I use FreeCommander (love the dual panes) as my Windows Explorer with the Show Hidden Files/Directories turned on.  Still debating about giving Windows 10 a go, but nothing I read anymore makes me want to take that step...yet.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.  My feeling is that Microsoft, with Windows 10 being "their last Windows OS" and it being free (for now), has some big Gotcha planned down the road that users are not going to like at all...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Boggit

Quote from: steve58 on September 12, 2015, 08:33:07 AM
Quote from: mirth on September 10, 2015, 11:28:32 AM
You might have Windows 10 even if you didn't ask for it

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

Yup, got a 4+GB hidden directory on my HD.   I knew it was there since I use FreeCommander (love the dual panes) as my Windows Explorer with the Show Hidden Files/Directories turned on.  Still debating about giving Windows 10 a go, but nothing I read anymore makes me want to take that step...yet.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.  My feeling is that Microsoft, with Windows 10 being "their last Windows OS" and it being free (for now), has some big Gotcha planned down the road that users are not going to like at all...
Pretty much my assessment at this point in time. I'm VERY uncomfortable about committing to a 1 way ticket with no clear end destination that W10 seems to offer. Anyway, I'm quite happy with Win 7, and it ain't broke!
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

endfire79

Quote from: Boggit on September 12, 2015, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: steve58 on September 12, 2015, 08:33:07 AM
Quote from: mirth on September 10, 2015, 11:28:32 AM
You might have Windows 10 even if you didn't ask for it

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

Yup, got a 4+GB hidden directory on my HD.   I knew it was there since I use FreeCommander (love the dual panes) as my Windows Explorer with the Show Hidden Files/Directories turned on.  Still debating about giving Windows 10 a go, but nothing I read anymore makes me want to take that step...yet.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.  My feeling is that Microsoft, with Windows 10 being "their last Windows OS" and it being free (for now), has some big Gotcha planned down the road that users are not going to like at all...
Pretty much my assessment at this point in time. I'm VERY uncomfortable about committing to a 1 way ticket with no clear end destination that W10 seems to offer. Anyway, I'm quite happy with Win 7, and it ain't broke!

Boggit, it's not a 1 way ticket.   You can revert back to 7 or 8 if you want.  If you want to play it safe, create a system image first and a file backup to an external drive with your existing Windows (this can be scheduled easily). I would create a windows system repair disk (on dvd, then put it on a usb) to help with the restore when you're in a pinch. You can use other backup utilities, but after using Backup/restore on Win 7 & Server 2008, I haven't felt the need.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/windows/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8.html.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

DoctorQuest

Screw microsoft. I am coming to you from my new Linux Mint install. I will probably put up Windows 10 on unique partition so I can check it out. I have no plans to get rid of either my Win7 on WinXP partitions.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Huw the Poo

Excellent, welcome to the fold!  I hope you enjoy exploring your new OS.

There's a good subreddit on Reddit for Linux questions, I think it's called /r/linux4noobs.  That community is generally less elitist than some parts of the Linux community can be.  I'm also happy to help in any way I can if you have any questions.

Linux Mint is a very widely used distro, in fact it's probably the most popular distro there is.  It's based on Ubuntu (unless you installed the Debian version) so anywhere you see support for Ubuntu, you can be 99% sure there's support for Mint too. :)

mirth

^Great subreddit  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

So, should I up-grade from Windows 3.1 now?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

I don't think you're ready for that, Bob.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Phew, that's a load off my mind then.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Quote from: bob48 on September 15, 2015, 03:22:03 PM
Phew, that's a load off my mind then.

No good could have come from upgrading to 95 or ME... In fact, best to roll back to DOS before your Command-line Fu grows weak.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

backslash backslash colon?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

endfire79

Pick up a Raspberry Pi Bob.  I've worked with a 50 year old in Cornwall (with a giant handlebar moustache) who got familiar with Linux using one in a few weeks.
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

mirth

Bob's on his way to the bakery now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

One more reason to love gog.com......If you bought a game you can download both the linux and windows versions. Just installed F-117A Stealth Fighter.

I will admit at least one downside of Linux is the lack of Windows-like installers. gog games are about as easy as they get but you still need to understand how to run a shell script.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.