Master of Orion returning

Started by RedArgo, June 09, 2015, 07:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Swatter

So, the Iksar are a playable race?

I am very underwhelmed with the trailer.

Nefaro

With the small amount of gameplay shown in that vid, I'm almost inclined to think it's being made as a tablet game.  ???

Didn't look like much.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

#33
I'm not sure why, but I just can't get excited about this one. 

Maybe because I was never a MOO fanatic to begin with, maybe because this reboot/sequel looks & sounds very generic to me, maybe other things.  I dunno. 

Not that anything about the game actually looks or sounds bad per se, it's just that absolutely nothing about it stands out for me.  Anytime I see screenshots/video for the game, or read an article/preview about it, I simply feel an overwhelming sense of "meh".  Is it just me? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

i think its just at the end of a long line of good looking 4x space games right now and doesnt do anything they dont so its a bit meh

Anguille

#35
I agree with both of you. However, as MOO was the first game i got hooked on, it's going to be a day one purchase for me even if i despise the idea of starlanes in a 4x.

I can't help it....i am weak.

tgb

As others have said, from what I can tell the game doesn't have an original idea in it's body, and I can't see getting it when I already have Endless Space, GalCIv II/III, Distant Worlds, Horizon, Apollo 4X, etc. etc.  Not to mention MOO 1-3.

Plus both Stellaris and Endless Space II are on the way

Anguille

#37
Quote from: tgb on January 05, 2016, 08:44:07 AM
As others have said, from what I can tell the game doesn't have an original idea in it's body, and I can't see getting it when I already have Endless Space, GalCIv II/III, Distant Worlds, Horizon, Apollo 4X, etc. etc.  Not to mention MOO 1-3.

Plus both Stellaris and Endless Space II are on the way
I agree. MOO4 would be different enough if it wasn't using starlanes. Imho, the most promising one is Stellaris. Endless Space II will be gorgeous (visuals are probably going to be the best) and Polaris Sector looks interesting too.

Anyway, once i get it, i'll tell you what i think about it.

Rayfer

Quote from: tgb on January 05, 2016, 08:44:07 AM
As others have said, from what I can tell the game doesn't have an original idea in it's body, and I can't see getting it when I already have Endless Space, GalCIv II/III, Distant Worlds, Horizon, Apollo 4X, etc. etc.  Not to mention MOO 1-3.

Plus both Stellaris and Endless Space II are on the way

Agreed.....a big +1

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on January 05, 2016, 09:06:41 AM
Imho, the most promising one is Stellaris. Endless Space II will be gorgeous (visuals are probably going to be the best) and Polaris Sector looks interesting too.
To be honest, I'm ambivalent about ES2 as well, if only because I found the first Endless Space somewhat lackluster.  Perhaps that was just because it was Amplitude's rookie effort, though (which, to be fair, wasn't bad for their first game).  I would genuinely like the sequel to surprise me (in a good way). 

Absolutely agreed on Stellaris and Polaris Sector, however.  The latter looks pretty good, and the former looks freakin' fantastic! 



Quote from: Anguille on January 05, 2016, 09:06:41 AM
Anyway, once i get it, i'll tell you what i think about it.
Sounds good, man.  I'll look forward to hearing your impressions.  O0 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

FarAway Sooner

If they do anything novel or innovative here, I'll probably give it a try.  If the goal is just to make a dumbed-down 4x in an effort to appeal to a younger audience, I guess they can give it a try, but I'm not their target market.  As has been noted elsewhere in this thread, there are too many other good games that built on the original for me to spend lots of time chasing a reskinned version of the original.