HOI IV might be a stinker

Started by bboyer66, June 10, 2015, 01:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bboyer66

 Just listened to the latest Three Moves Ahead podcast, and lets just say that everyone seemed pretty underwhelmed by the Hearts of Iron IV Beta they were invited to play at Paradox Studios.

Listen Here:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma


Swatter

I was thinking about posting a thread about this recently when I viewed an article on RPS about HoI4. I am completely underwhelmed with the info I have seen thus far.

bbmike

So do what I always do:



Except I probably won't buy it on sale.  :-\
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

fabius

Yeah, but they've delayed to try and get it right. Time will tell; but while waiting a vid is out.


Jarhead0331

I think it looks fantastic. Not sure why everyone has a bug up their butt. Its not even finished yet.  People bitched about I, II and III too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


fabius

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2015, 10:37:07 AM
I think it looks fantastic. Not sure why everyone has a bug up their butt. Its not even finished yet.  People bitched about I, II and III too.

I can pick some dislikes- like the new counters seem little cluttered on zoom out as in where are the troops exactly. But yes, looks like shaping up.

OJsDad

Nice vid Fabius.  I like the sounds of both construction and how you can control your armies.  I really like that you don't just need manpower to make up for loses, but you need the weapons to arm those replacements with.  Should help to add a more real feel to the game.  Also should make you plan more. 

Hmm, I wonder, if you develop a new tank, and send it to your units, will their old ones go back to the pool. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

fabius

Quote from: OJsDad on June 11, 2015, 11:54:33 AM
Nice vid Fabius.  I like the sounds of both construction and how you can control your armies.  I really like that you don't just need manpower to make up for loses, but you need the weapons to arm those replacements with.  Should help to add a more real feel to the game.  Also should make you plan more. 

Hmm, I wonder, if you develop a new tank, and send it to your units, will their old ones go back to the pool.

Yes old stuff to the pool has been stated by the devs I think. But remember so much of the game is still in flux.

Agreed, equipment and more detailed manpower should really be a nice step forward. No so keen that at the moment the trade has no money, just trade civilian factories for raw materials and no ability to stock pile raw materials.

Huw the Poo

As with all of Paradox's games, I won't understand enough to know that it sucks (if indeed it does suck) anyway.  I'll be buying this one.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I haven't seen mention of this but then again, I haven't been paying too much attention.  Is it going to be possible to plan and co-ordinate a grand strategy with your AI allies in HOI IV?  That's one of the things about HOI III that I felt was sorely missing.  I never had any inkling of what my allies were up to or what their future plans were and there was no way to co-ordinate actions with them. 

I'm in mid 1943 in my current game as England.  I've taken Italy back and I'm holding Japan in check in Thailand (but they've taken 90% of Australia).  I'm in a slugging match with the Germans in France and their ground forces are much better than mine so it's only a matter of time until I'm pushed out.  I'd love the ability to co-ordinate with allies and set terms like "Invade Sicily in May 1943 with at least 12 brigades."  As it stands now, I have no idea what the Yanks are up to.  They've landed a few paratroopers in the Sudan (good job guys!) but other than that, they don't seem to be doing much except trading Midway with the Japanese every few months.

bboyer66

I'm hoping with the IVth one, that they finally have made the Pacific War look something like................... the Pacific War.

Nefaro

Quote from: bboyer66 on June 11, 2015, 03:29:32 PM
I'm hoping with the IVth one, that they finally have made the Pacific War look something like................... the Pacific War.

I'd be very surprised.

OJsDad

Boyer, I've heard this comment before, but I'm not sure what exactly is meant by it, can you, or anyone, explain it.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on June 11, 2015, 08:33:52 PM
Boyer, I've heard this comment before, but I'm not sure what exactly is meant by it, can you, or anyone, explain it.

The AI doesn't conduct amphibious operations, I believe...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Silent Disapproval Robot

The AI will do amphibious operations but they don't seem to do anything to exploit them once they're done.  If you watch AI controlled Japan and the US fight it out in the Pacific, you'll see that Wake, Midway, and a few other islands are constantly changing hands.  One side will invade with one or two divisions and then just leave them there to be wiped out a few months later.    It seems to me that the AI for both sides is coded to prioritize taking control of certain islands in the Pacific so they both just end up pissing about for the entire game.   I think part of the problem is the rather haphazard way in which naval spotting, pursuit & intercept, and engagement rules are handled.    The fleets just bounce around from zone to zone and most battles seem to happen more by luck than anything else.  If you do manage to damage but not destroy an enemy fleet, the rest will retreat.  That's fine but the chances of a successful pursuit seem far too low and most times, the retreating fleet will escape even when you try to attack them with air assets.