Traveller & Star Trek RPG

Started by bbmike, June 13, 2015, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on June 27, 2015, 02:00:09 PM
Gentlemen:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/TravellerLBBs

Now is the time to "get it on," per se.

Oops I should say I'm talking about traveller , because I bought the bundle from this link you provided , thanks for that btw dammit Carl !!  And I should say I've never played in a group before , and I'm new to this , but everyone has to start somewhere right ?  O:-)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

Some old, old Dragon Magazine variants for Traveller

y'all enjoy :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 08, 2015, 02:59:28 PM
Some old, old Dragon Magazine variants for Traveller

y'all enjoy :)

Cool, more goodies! Thanks!  O0
Play-by-forum? How would that work? Wouldn't that take forever to play?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

I guess I have hopped around these rules too much because I saw something about college in a later book, speaking about it as if it was part of the game, but the first book made no mention of it. Is there a set of rules somewhere about a PC going through college? I want to say I saw it in the Scouts book but i'm not sure.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: bbmike on July 08, 2015, 07:54:23 PM
Play-by-forum? How would that work? Wouldn't that take forever to play?

From what I've seen at RPG.net and a few other boards over the years, it honestly can go many ways; from players writing out what they are doing on the board in the open to the GM doing a synopsis of each gaming "session," (however they determine that) written much like chapters in a book.  Pick a style that works and that you could be consistent with.

As far as the time the game would take, that would probably depend on the group - how well and how quickly they reply to GM events and if they stick around or not - and how long the GM can keep interest going.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 09, 2015, 08:11:53 AM
I guess I have hopped around these rules too much because I saw something about college in a later book, speaking about it as if it was part of the game, but the first book made no mention of it. Is there a set of rules somewhere about a PC going through college? I want to say I saw it in the Scouts book but i'm not sure.

Education is a character stat when PCs are created, but Book 1 only seems to mention it in passing while Books 4, 6, and 7 seem to make a more specific call-out to college at some point.

Hmmm...good question...

bbmike

Yes, it's in the Book 6 - Scouts.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

I'm sure there are some here with experience at Forum RPG'ing who could suggest methods.

From what I've gathered, there is usually some consolidation to help things move faster.  Such as players rolling their checks & posting the results at the same time they propose the action that may require one, before the GM chimes in.  Whether he will end up using it or not.  Cuts down on the back & forth.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Dammit Carl!

Lord help me, I've bought more Traveller stuff via DriveThru!

What have you wrought, bbmike?!?

bbmike

Ha! At least you haven't purchased the Traveller Core Rulebook yet.  :P
I actually spent some more at DriveThru when I discovered that they had all of the Star Fleet Battles modules in PDF. SSDs in color!  :D
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Dammit Carl!

No, but I did pull my old, hardback "Traveller," core book that has Books 1-3 and some other stuff compiled inside the covers out (forgot that some wee lad from long ago went and colored most of the illustrations in it; did a dang good job too) and will probably take it with me when I go on my annual training rotation starting tomorrow...along with my Nook which will have all the additional goodies I've got now...

...and most of the 1st edition of Legends of the Five Rings if pdf form...and God knows what else I've got loaded up already... :))

Nerdy McNerdston, reporting for duty, Sir!

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 09, 2015, 03:00:51 PM

...and most of the 1st edition of Legends of the Five Rings if pdf form...and God knows what else I've got loaded up already... :))

I picked up some used Lot5R 4th Edition hardbacks (latest version).  The core rulebook and the "monster manual".  They're the most beautiful 'stock' RPG books I've ever seen. 

The game system looks nice, too, if you can get past the inherent limitations of RPG'ing in a primarily Samurai-inspired setting.  While the setting's social and loot situation will be naturally lacking or restricted in various ways, it still has a lot of undead & demonic monsters from the various nasties. 

Double Deuce

Quote from: Nefaro on July 09, 2015, 11:17:24 AM
I'm sure there are some here with experience at Forum RPG'ing who could suggest methods.

I've run several but they do take a lot longer than ftf. Usually after about 6 months they really die off, mostly due to players dropping out. As a GM I have been guilty of letting things drag on waiting for everyone to to have a chance to post when I probably should have just pushed the game forward with the few that were really into it and let the others just become meatshields and cannon fodder where they could just chime in when they could.

If someone was going to run something I would recommend using the most streamlined system they are familiar with. Systems with a deep or extensive character creation process, (HarnMaster, RoleMaster and several others) tend to put off those who just want to play and not get bogged down in mechanics and creating their character.

BanzaiCat

Okay, so I bought that basic Traveler bundle and went with the extra books. I have no idea what else there is as there's several different versions of Traveler out there on the DriveThru website, so I wouldn't know what else I should get, just based on that basic 1e universe. Any recommendations from those of you that have been there?

I'm also thinking of buying the T2013 rules...not that I'm ever going to play it but I do love Twilight: 2000.