Star Wars: Battlefront new footage

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, June 15, 2015, 05:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: mirth on October 08, 2015, 04:59:41 PM
This series has never been about a deep tactical experience. It's always been run around and blow crap up, in a Star Wars wrapper.

Within the Star Wars wrapper, are they innovating or dumbing-down ?

mirth

It's EA. The company dedicated to bringing you less, for more $$.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on October 08, 2015, 04:59:41 PM
This series has never been about a deep tactical experience. It's always been run around and blow crap up, in a Star Wars wrapper.

No, it hasn't.  However, having played both prior Battlefront games and all the Battlefields, I feel like there is a much higher arcade element in what is offered so far than any of those titles. 

I'm not actually saying it's bad or not fun.  I've had some fun with it.  I'm certainly no where nearly as negative as what's going on in the EA Battlefront forums.  I haven't played nearly enough to really form a solid opinion.  Right now I'm just noticing more I don't like than like. 

My biggest complaints really boil down to my just not feeling comfortable with their control scheme decisions that included no PC consideration.  I really wish they'd considered joystick support at least.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 08, 2015, 05:28:18 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 08, 2015, 04:59:41 PM
This series has never been about a deep tactical experience. It's always been run around and blow crap up, in a Star Wars wrapper.

No, it hasn't.  However, having played both prior Battlefront games and all the Battlefields, I feel like there is a much higher arcade element in what is offered so far than any of those titles. 

I'm not actually saying it's bad or not fun.  I've had some fun with it.  I'm certainly no where nearly as negative as what's going on in the EA Battlefront forums.  I haven't played nearly enough to really form a solid opinion.  Right now I'm just noticing more I don't like than like. 

My biggest complaints really boil down to my just not feeling comfortable with their control scheme decisions that included no PC consideration.  I really wish they'd considered joystick support at least.

All fair criticisms.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

I've had fun with it so far. I've maxed out to the Beta limit of level 5. I like how the unlocks system works, letting me decide what to spend my credits on (as opposed to BF4, where you just get random stuff a lot of the time). Credits are based on points. thus far, points are limited to basic stuff, but I suspect scoring options open up in the full game.

The bonuses you can get on map are pretty nice. Orbital strikes dropped in the right place at the right time are devastating. Ground turrets are in, AT-ST's are in, AT-AT turrets are in, fighters are in. Still objective based like the BF series, so that works.

The matchmaking is completely busted in the small map. I've found myself on the short end of 2 vs. 8 matches a bit too often. Works fine in the bigger Hoth battle, though.

Am I pre-ordering? No. I want to see how the final product opens up before I throw my bucks down. Am I having a lot of fun? Hell yes. It's pretty much what I expected.

undercovergeek

Star Wars Battlefront Recommended System Requirements

    OS: Windows 10 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8370 4.1 GHz
    RAM: 16 GB System Memory
    GPU RAM: 4GB Graphics Memory
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290
    DX: DirectX 11.1

not beyond the realms of possibility, but that looks a tad hungry

Toonces

Got a couple of matches in.  Wow, total chaos. 

I'm not sure if I had fun or not.  I think I agree that this would be a good beer-drinking Friday night mindless game.  I am definitely more of an ARMA 3 KotH shooter guy, though. 

My son would probably destroy this game.  Me...I'm too old I guess.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bbmike

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 09, 2015, 02:00:01 AM
Star Wars Battlefront Recommended System Requirements

    OS: Windows 10 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8370 4.1 GHz
    RAM: 16 GB System Memory
    GPU RAM: 4GB Graphics Memory
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290
    DX: DirectX 11.1

not beyond the realms of possibility, but that looks a tad hungry

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

To me, the game is what I expected, whether good or bad....you shoot a lot of things in a frantic world using Star Wars characters:)  Didn't really expect much more....it certainly is very pretty to look at.  My biggest concern right now is using a controller, which I like to do on these types of games nowadays....the movement and aiming seem extremely imprecise, even after messing with some of the settings....was very difficult to hit things, although I know using a controller is usually harder, never seen it this hard before.  Maybe it gets refined before release.

Since it is Star Wars, will pick up at somepoint...won't be a pre order, but not sure whether day one or sometime during a future sale.

W8taminute

I just finished playing the Beta on PS4 for the first time.  I'm still on the fence about this game but I must say I've never performed better in an FPS than I did in SW: Battlefront.  Got 13 kills and 11 deaths and it was a frantic run and gun mess.  Only played one multiplayer match but I'll try some more later on and see if I can keep up my beginners luck.  Hahaha.

I can see this game providing a couple of weekends worth of fun then getting a little stale after a while.  Might be worth picking up on sale but I'm still not convinced enough to make this a day one purchase.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 09, 2015, 11:24:19 AM
To me, the game is what I expected, whether good or bad....
I must have been the only one with his head in the clouds  :-[  I still can't believe they decided on no classes.  SW provides a ton of fodder for various class (and race)/loadout options. 

I was looking forward to a weekend playing this.  Ah well...

 

SirAndrewD

#86
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 09, 2015, 05:14:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 09, 2015, 11:24:19 AM
To me, the game is what I expected, whether good or bad....
I must have been the only one with his head in the clouds  :-[  I still can't believe they decided on no classes.  SW provides a ton of fodder for various class (and race)/loadout options. 

I was looking forward to a weekend playing this.  Ah well...



You're not the only one.  Not only myself, but a lot of game journalists and EA forumgoers are echoing the sentiment. 

I do think it's kind of fun, but not for a AAA title's asking price.  I saw a panel of Gamespot's FPS writers who all were saying the same thing.  Some of them looked visibly pained by the Beta.  One of them went so far to say that this is "not a game for FPS players."  I get that Battlefront has always leaned more towards arcade than not, but it wasn't ever this far. 

I think I'll buy it eventually, but absolutely not at intro price.  If it were $24.99 on intro I might think differently. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 09, 2015, 05:34:08 PM
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 09, 2015, 05:14:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 09, 2015, 11:24:19 AM
To me, the game is what I expected, whether good or bad....
I must have been the only one with his head in the clouds  :-[  I still can't believe they decided on no classes.  SW provides a ton of fodder for various class (and race)/loadout options. 

I was looking forward to a weekend playing this.  Ah well...



You're not the only one. 

I do think it's kind of fun, but not for a AAA title's asking price.  I saw a panel of Gamespot's FPS writers who all were saying the same thing.  Some of them looked visibly pained by the Beta.

I think I'll buy it eventually, but absolutely not at intro price.  If it were $24.99 on intro I might think differently.

Its EA and a Star Wars title, likely won't be $25 for a long time, unless it tanks:)  Hopefully with the new Star Wars movie coming out and such, we'll see more SW games, not just these type of shooters but maybe some updated flight sims, rpg, etc.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 09, 2015, 05:37:43 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 09, 2015, 05:34:08 PM
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 09, 2015, 05:14:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 09, 2015, 11:24:19 AM
To me, the game is what I expected, whether good or bad....
I must have been the only one with his head in the clouds  :-[  I still can't believe they decided on no classes.  SW provides a ton of fodder for various class (and race)/loadout options. 

I was looking forward to a weekend playing this.  Ah well...



You're not the only one. 

I do think it's kind of fun, but not for a AAA title's asking price.  I saw a panel of Gamespot's FPS writers who all were saying the same thing.  Some of them looked visibly pained by the Beta.

I think I'll buy it eventually, but absolutely not at intro price.  If it were $24.99 on intro I might think differently.

Its EA and a Star Wars title, likely won't be $25 for a long time, unless it tanks:)  Hopefully with the new Star Wars movie coming out and such, we'll see more SW games, not just these type of shooters but maybe some updated flight sims, rpg, etc.

I know.  No Steam pretty much means I'll be steering clear of this for a long time. 

I'm curious to see if this "beta" will backfire on EA.  The pulse of the vocal gaming community (though negative responses always are sampled too high) hasn't been good from what I've seen.  Gaming journalists, who typically shill for the AAA titles are even kind of sneering. 

Of course who am I kidding, it'll sell like hotcakes on PS4 and Xbox 1, probably be a lot more fun on those platforms, and we won't see a bargain bin for a while. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Yep, the force will be strong with this one, based on the star wars theme alone.....it can be the worse game ever and still likely will make more money then other "better" games:)

....and yes, some day I will likely be an owner of it as well, regardless of what I may say:)