The Operational Art of War III receives a final update and a sequel!

Started by Pete Dero, July 07, 2015, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 08, 2015, 10:31:51 PM
For people not familiar with TOAW III, it has a very useful feature for testing out ideas- cpu vs cpu. It is one of the best wargames out there IMO. I spent less hrs with it than i like. It has serious replay value.

Yes you can actually avoid micromanagement and give commands at the macro level.

shunwick

Quote from: jomni on July 09, 2015, 12:35:35 AM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 08, 2015, 10:31:51 PM
For people not familiar with TOAW III, it has a very useful feature for testing out ideas- cpu vs cpu. It is one of the best wargames out there IMO. I spent less hrs with it than i like. It has serious replay value.

Yes you can actually avoid micromanagement and give commands at the macro level.

It's even better.  Using the PO assist function, you can play any scenario that has the PO programmed for both sides and then choose which formations you want to control. 

This adds RPG gameplay to TOAW III.  For example, consider the monster hypothetical scenario Europa 1947, basically, the Allied attempt to liberate Europe from Axis domination. 

Let's say you want to play the allied side but you don't want to control all the Allied forces.  By using PO Assist, you can elect to play whichever formation/formations you like.  If you only want to control the British 10th Corps, a formation that only has five units, then you can do that.  The PO will control all the other Allied forces as well as the Axis opponents.  Essentially, you role-play the scenario as a Corp commander while the rest of the war goes on around you.  You can even arrange promotions for yourself since you can change which formations you control on the fly. 

TOAW III is awesome.

Best wishes,
Steve


jomni


Ian C

Why are Matrix still installing their game data directly in the Windows OS folder? Surely no need for that?





Jarhead0331

That's weird. Mine did not install in the windows directory...all of my matrix games install in a matrix folder on the c: drive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 09, 2015, 06:34:10 AM
That's weird. Mine did not install in the windows directory...all of my matrix games install in a matrix folder on the c: drive.

Same for me.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Rayfer

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on July 08, 2015, 09:58:57 PM
A screenshot from  Avalon Hill's 'Russian Campaign' 1976.



GG...is this screenshot right out of the vanilla game or from a mod of some sort?  Regardless, it brings back memories of playing the board game many decades ago.

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 09, 2015, 06:34:10 AM
That's weird. Mine did not install in the windows directory...all of my matrix games install in a matrix folder on the c: drive.

No, it didn't install in Windows - that's the game uninstall folder but it's the only company I've seen that places any other files inside the Windows operating sytem folder. Wondering what benefits there are to this?

Apologies for going OT, just interests me, as I've noticed this for some years.

shunwick

Quote from: Rayfer on July 09, 2015, 07:40:02 AM
Quote from: GroggyGrognard on July 08, 2015, 09:58:57 PM
A screenshot from  Avalon Hill's 'Russian Campaign' 1976.



GG...is this screenshot right out of the vanilla game or from a mod of some sort?  Regardless, it brings back memories of playing the board game many decades ago.

Those are the graphics that come with that particular scenario.  It is a direct conversion from the boardgame (or at least as close as he could get it) and so the designer, Steve Sill, wanted to recreate the look and feel rather than use the standard graphics.

Best wishes,
Steve

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: Ian C on July 09, 2015, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 09, 2015, 06:34:10 AM
That's weird. Mine did not install in the windows directory...all of my matrix games install in a matrix folder on the c: drive.

No, it didn't install in Windows - that's the game uninstall folder but it's the only company I've seen that places any other files inside the Windows operating sytem folder. Wondering what benefits there are to this?

Apologies for going OT, just interests me, as I've noticed this for some years.
Historically there have been issues with people deleting the uninstall data and then wondering why they can't remove the game from the list of installed programs.  But it can definitely be a little confusing for users and so we are always looking for better solutions.  Newer games tend to play a lot better with modern OSes than the older ones :)

Cheers

Pip

Skoop

Friendly AI for monster war games is something that needs to be used more.  I may install to try out that concept mentioned above.  I have pretty much bailed on the monster strategy game franchise because I can't stand to move thousands of counters from point A to B.  Now if the AI could do it for me, that might draw me back from flight sims.

-budd-

Can someone explain more of the PO assist function. I have always avoided big scenarios because I suck at them and all the counters to move. Is there a thread or video that's explains it real well. I'll check the manual when I get home. Could I just control an army group in barbarrosa ?

Jomni: what to you mean about giving orders at macro level?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Yskonyn

Yes! Consider me interested as well! Never really knew about the PO thingymajig! (Yeah I know RTFM!)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

If I remember right, there was some discussion about TOAW4 at HOW14. The things that caught my attention was the planned revamp of the way air and naval operations get carried out. It should be far better, with naval interceptions etc.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Rayfer

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 09, 2015, 02:02:13 PM
Yes! Consider me interested as well! Never really knew about the PO thingymajig! (Yeah I know RTFM!)

I have this printed 4 page document titled "Elmer AI Mode Primer" that explains how to use this feature. Can't remember where I got it but it had to have been from the Matrix forum page for this game. It might still be there.

Edit....I see that the primer comes with the patched game in the 'manuals' folder.