The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985

Started by steve58, July 08, 2015, 02:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Coming soon from Matrixgames...

Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Conflicts Covered:

War of Independence in 1948
Suez Crisis of 1956
Six Day War of 1967
War of Attrition
October War of 1973
Invasion of Lebanon in 1982
Algerian War of Independence
Egypt in Yemen
United Kingdom in Aden
Libyan - Egyptian Border War 1977

The series portrays battles spanning from 1948 to 1982. Each scenario is played on a unique, historical map with seven view modes. Scenario maps are based on topographic maps of from the period created on a hex grid; hexes are 250 metres across. Each scenario has a variable number of turns in which you are your opponent attempt to achieve the maximum number of victory points, usually by destroying your opponents forces or by capturing objective locations. A wide variety of battle situations are represented in the game, from meeting engagements to trench defences, armoured breakthroughs, battles of attrition, mobile defences, and more!

There are four low-complexity Boot Camp scenarios, designed especially with the new player in mind, with step-by-step instructions on how to play. The remaining scenario vary in size from very short and small to long and large. They can be played against the computer, PBEM, head-to-head, hotseat, or real-time network play.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/582/details/The.Campaign.Series:.Middle.East.1948-1985
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Been looking forward to seeing how this turned out.  The original was an unfinished buggy mess so hopefully that's all been resolved and it doesn't cost a kidney.

steve58

I thought it looked very familiar.  So this is just a re-release of (and hopefully updated) Talonsofts's Divided Ground then???
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 02:50:43 PM
I thought it looked very familiar.  So this is just a re-release of (and hopefully updated) Talonsofts's Divided Ground then???

Yep.

I suspect they may have some extra scenarios in it (?) along with a lot of bug fixes.  The original was pretty much unplayable in many cases, due to the bugs.

Jarhead0331

I knew it was from the Talonsoft series immediately from the look of the screenshots.

It would be nice to get a game that's actually new for a change.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

The forum is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223

Release date looks to be late September 2015.

Wolfe1759

This looked interesting.

Then I saw the screenshots and I must admit I totally lost interest.

I know as a wargamer I shouldn't want flashy graphics and slick UIs, but I do want something better (particularly in the UI department) than what was just about acceptable ten or more years ago.

I do hope this isn't a sign of what is coming for TOAW IV and Steel Tigers.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM

Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?

Because the old one (Campaign Series) is one of the best company-scale systems ever made?
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Grim.Reaper

I love the subject, but likely will be a pass as well.  Don't need tremendous graphics but these games (i.e. Tiller, HPS, etc.) just don't seem to want to evolve for some reason...I just don't get it.  They have great subject matters but just seem to refuse being more modern...such a shame.

vyshka

I imagine it was a case of reusing art assets where they could to keep costs down.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 05:43:12 PM

Because the old one (Campaign Series) is one of the best company-scale systems ever made?

so if it's the best company scale system ever made it doesn't need to be changed, right? So if the system is unchanged. And the art is unchanged, what is new and why should anyone buy the same game again?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
so if it's the best company scale system ever made it doesn't need to be changed, right? So if the system is unchanged. And the art is unchanged, what is new and why should anyone buy the same game again?

Divided Ground was a broken piece of software, but the Campaign Series is excellent. The game was re-written using the Campaign Series engine and not Divided Ground. The art is not the same - in fact, all of the counters have been redone and rescaled, there are completely new scenarios and maps.  It was produced by players of the Campaign Series that have also continued to support and modify East Front, West Front, and Rising Sun. The primary market for this game is for players of the Campaign system. There's been discussion on the Campaign Series forum at Matrix about this re-development effort for at least a year, with engagement from people who are dedicated players of this series.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Al

I was disappointed that the original Divided Ground was such a mess.  No wonder Matrix scrapped it.  This is a definite buy for me.  The graphics - to me - look fine.
Al

mirth

Quote from: Al on July 08, 2015, 06:40:50 PM
I was disappointed that the original Divided Ground was such a mess.  No wonder Matrix scrapped it.  This is a definite buy for me.  The graphics - to me - look fine.

+1 I'll buy it when the time comes. I so wished Divided Ground had been more playable. The dated graphics don't bother me. They seemed dated when the Campaign Series was new.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus