New Computer + Arma III = Wow.

Started by Jack Nastyface, July 14, 2015, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jack Nastyface

FINALLY bought a new system (from Memory Express) and promptly loaded up ARMA3.  What an incredible experience.  My only problem, however, is that I never got around to playing ARMA II, and now it seems like I have tons of gaming to catch-up on.  I don't even want to think about what might happen when I install DCS or Rise of Flight or Steel Beasts Pro PE.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Toonces

Heh.  Wait till you boot up Skyrim.   :o
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I know exactly what you mean. After I got my GTX970 installed, it was like playing a new game. I can actually score effective hits on distant targets. I had no idea what I was missing in terms of satisfying game play. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Father Ted


TacticalWargames

Love that series until it came to the part where you have to control your squad and even worse for me when it goes into high command mode. Love ti when I'm just a grunt.

trek

Well, my Falcon-NW Fragbox2 died a month ago. I've had it for seven years. Three years back I upgraded it after a HD fail. Put in a 1TB HD and a new Graphics card and added ram to make 8GB. On it's recent death the motherboard and CPU failed. I decided to go big time and bought a new Falcon. This time I got a Tiki. The damn thing is just cool. It's not much bigger than an XBOX and so quiet compared to my old rig. Amazing what fits into it. Here is my build specs:

Intel i7 4790K Devil's Canyon CPU
Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX980 Ti 6GB VRAM
1TB SSD Drive
16GB RAM
Win7 Pro 64-bit (I decided to stay with my current OS)
600w Power Supply with Liquid Cooling
Got the option for the slab of midnight granite for the tower base (my wife's always talking about her granite counter tops in the kitchen so I told her I'm getting some granite too!)

I also decided to upgrade my 22" Dell Ultrasharp Monitor. I went to a 27" Dell Ultrasharp Model U2713H. 2560X1440@60HZ. I like the Ultrasharp with the matte finish screen and the two extra USB hookups on the side of the monitor screen. Comes in handy for plugging in my Asus Wireless on the L-shaped USB wire, with it sticking up in the air I get great wireless reception from the den. Got my Joystick plugged into the other one. Got it from FedEx early today and hooked it up right away.

I have to agree with the previous post: Every game I'm playing now is like a whole new ball game! I've got one user mission for ARMA3 that I've played repeatedly called "Sophia Ambush." It's a short clear-the-village engagement. There's a sniper in an upper window whose covering the main street as me and my squad approach and until playing on this new rig I never located him early enough (even with the binoculars). This time I spotted him right away.

IL-2 BOS, IL-2 COD and ROF are glorious too especially with the graphics maxed out. Its' like I'm seeing a lot of stuff for the first time. My only regret is I didn't do it sooner (I literally didn't know what I was missing!)


JasonPratt

I'm honestly unsure what the point is to buying a Fragbox anymore now that the Tiki is available; their specs are pretty comparable, and the Tiki seems more portable. Maybe the Frag is more upgradeable...?

A console-sized Falcon was an idea that someone up there hopefully got a nice Christmas bonus for.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

trek

Only if you want SLI Dual graphics cards and more memory than 16GB. Otherwise the only other advantage is the built in carry handle if you attend LAN parties.