Total War: Warhammer

Started by Rayfer, July 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Reinstall completed (don't think that was needed after all)...

I then added manual firewall rules just in case, started the game....took a few minutes to load (long time on splash screen) but at least didn't lock.  Thinking that was still too long, I restarted in steam offline mode and started the game....it loaded really fast.  So at this point it seems like something wrong while being online (maybe it is checking something or some kind of server), but offline seems to be fine.  I am sure they'll figure it out, but at least I can now try it:)

W8taminute

Quote from: Nefaro on May 23, 2016, 09:34:33 PM
I stopped watching video game reviews quite awhile back.  Well.. except the occasional Angry Joe review, for some comedy.

Nowadays you can just watch a long uncut stretch of raw LP gameplay & see for yourself whether you would like it.  Not Tom Chick, aka "Mikey".

This... O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

I got in one quick battle before work...certainly going to take getting use to playing a Fantasy type game versus historical, but was fun....really liked playing with the Giants and Hero units, they can kick some butt!

Hopefully by the time I get home they figure out their loading issues with online mode, but if not, offline will suit my needs for sure.

Gusington

The prices for CD keys have gone up the last few weeks, I doubt we'll see 28.00 anywhere again for a while, which makes it easier for JD and I to hang tough :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2016, 06:38:42 AM
The prices for CD keys have gone up the last few weeks, I doubt we'll see 28.00 anywhere again for a while, which makes it easier for JD and I to hang tough :)
Exactly - hang in there buddy  :smitten:
Alba gu' brath

Zulu1966

Mmmm ... this looks really good ....
Re the hanging thing at start up. I left mine for about ten minutes as was doing something else ... thought it had hung ... but about a minute after I got back it came to life - maybe it just takes a long time first run ?

But as I say --- looks really good - some interesting stuff in there - certainly engaged me like no other Total war game has on first run and I am normally luke warm over fantasy stuff ..
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2016, 06:38:42 AM
Sorry man

Yer on yer own

:idiot2:  :2funny:  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

FlickJax

LOL JD

Yeah I had long first load too, had a little go with dwarfs and so far very happy :)

JudgeDredd

So sad.

BUT - I figured, by the time the price comes down, I would've had that money back in fun anyway...and Stellaris was grinding me down a bit...and HoI IV isn't out for another 2 weeks
Alba gu' brath

Zulu1966

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 24, 2016, 08:35:48 AM
So sad.

BUT - I figured, by the time the price comes down, I would've had that money back in fun anyway...and Stellaris was grinding me down a bit...and HoI IV isn't out for another 2 weeks

Plus .... you only live once ...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

ghostryder

Well Well...I know there's a lot of Total War lovers here and your all creaming your jeans on a warhammer pairing. Waiting to read first impressions.  8)
Glancing through the steam reviews most posative reviews point out the fleshed out generals mechanics that have real role play in them, the gourgous battles etc...most negative reviews I glanced through only point to performance issues and such---which is a good sign as based on some previews I thought we'd see a lot of complaining about the stripped down management of cities ,etc....

I'm still engulfed in Stellaris but will likely get this soon.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 24, 2016, 04:12:41 AM
Tried to play it this morning before work, but couldn't get it to start...just hung on startup screen...so reinstalling with fingers criossed that it works after that.

The wise asses at Sega/CA decided to integrate a new DRM system to TW:W.  On first start-up for new installations, it tries to "phone home" and get your hardware info.

You already know how I feel about such worthless DRM nonsense, which only adds more problems to legit customers.   This start-up issue is yet another perfect example of that.

The official response is that it isn't actually DRM, which is bullshit because it contradicts the software's purpose.  But at least it's running behind the scenes and there's no hard limit on the amount of your PCs you can install it on.  It just gathers computer info.. and watches?  ::)

Anyway.. the current recommendations I've seen is to just leave it loading on the black screen for about 5-10 minutes and it will eventually start.  Reportedly a long line of people trying to play, and their servers are getting crushed with all the people starting it.  So you end up waiting in a digital line, on their DRM and Multi-player servers (?), to collect your info.

Pete Dero

Jarhead0331

From the EULA -

13. DATA PROTECTION
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SEGA DOES AND MAY COLLECT DATA DERIVED FROM YOUR PLAYING AND/OR USE OF ANY OF THE PRODUCTS. FOR EXAMPLE, SEGA MAY COLLECT OR PROCESS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER, INCLUDING WHERE AVAILABLE YOUR IP ADDRESS AND OPERATING SYSTEM. THIS IS STATISTICAL DATA ABOUT YOUR BROWSING ACTIONS AND PATTERNS, AND DOES NOT IDENTIFY ANY INDIVIDUAL. THE COLLECTION AND STORAGE OF THE ABOVE DATA AND GAME PLAY IS SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSES OF FACILITATING THE EXISTING FUNCTIONALITY OF THE PRODUCTS, ASSISTING SEGA IN ASSESSING IMPROVEMENTS TO IT AND OTHER GAMES BASED ON GENERAL PLAYING PATTERNS AND FOR DIGITAL MANAGEMENT PURPOSES (more details about SEGA's privacy policy can be found at: http://www.sega.co.uk/Privacy .

No likey? Don't playey.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 24, 2016, 09:24:14 AM
From the EULA -

13. DATA PROTECTION
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SEGA DOES AND MAY COLLECT DATA DERIVED FROM YOUR PLAYING AND/OR USE OF ANY OF THE PRODUCTS. FOR EXAMPLE, SEGA MAY COLLECT OR PROCESS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER, INCLUDING WHERE AVAILABLE YOUR IP ADDRESS AND OPERATING SYSTEM. THIS IS STATISTICAL DATA ABOUT YOUR BROWSING ACTIONS AND PATTERNS, AND DOES NOT IDENTIFY ANY INDIVIDUAL. THE COLLECTION AND STORAGE OF THE ABOVE DATA AND GAME PLAY IS SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSES OF FACILITATING THE EXISTING FUNCTIONALITY OF THE PRODUCTS, ASSISTING SEGA IN ASSESSING IMPROVEMENTS TO IT AND OTHER GAMES BASED ON GENERAL PLAYING PATTERNS AND FOR DIGITAL MANAGEMENT PURPOSES (more details about SEGA's privacy policy can be found at: http://www.sega.co.uk/Privacy .

No likey? Don't playey.

I wouldn't give much of a damn if it worked behind the scenes.  Emphasis on worked

But DRM is often buggy, with poor integration, performance hits, and/or side effects. 

Waste of software time & effort.

Here's the other cryptic EULA reference:

15. TECHNICAL PROTECTION MEASURES

This Product uses Sony DADC Austria AG's Denuvo ("Denuvo") content protection technology. Acceptance of this Agreement and an Internet connection are required to verify your license. The technical protection measures of the Product may require you to download certain data to your device in order to authenticate the Product. If you disable or otherwise tamper with the technical protection measures, the Product may not operate properly and you are in material breach of this Agreement.

I expect it to be minimal headache, in this case.  Other than the initial load-in.