Main Menu

Total War: Warhammer

Started by Rayfer, July 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

#60
Quote from: Tpek on December 06, 2015, 02:35:25 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 06, 2015, 01:58:45 PM

Still have very fond memories of the open world group PvP I had years ago, in Warhammer Online. 

Especially with my Gobbo Shaman.  The sounds & animations goblins made, when bringing the WAAAGH beatdown, was deviously superb.    O0

It's supposedly still running.
There's a private server and version (yet to test it though) available at:
http://www.returnofreckoning.com/


Oh damn!   

I may have to try that out.  If they have it set up for the best Realm vs Realm play, in the time before the original developer added the high Tier PvE zone which ruined the big huge open RvR battles.  That's what ultimately killed the MMO.. the PvE stuff they later added, which provided better loot rewards than the huge RvR/PvP fun. 

Had some of the best MMO experiences in it's RvR heyday.  Was typical to have faction warbands of 20-50 people raiding & sieging others of similar size in the open zones.  Actually required a command structure and military tactics.  Ambushes, feints, ye olde hammer & anvil.. all worked out in that virtual Warhammer Fantasy MMO. 

Was very sad when they ruined it with a bigger PvE carrot, and PvE in the game was mediocre at best.  Even though it was the first to come up with the "Public Quest", which was pretty damn cool.


Really want to check this one out.

FlickJax

I remember being in some damn massive battles but dont quite remember the tactics and structure....above my pay grade I expect as a lowly dwarf engineer :)

Nefaro

Quote from: FlickJax on December 07, 2015, 04:02:19 AM
I remember being in some damn massive battles but dont quite remember the tactics and structure....above my pay grade I expect as a lowly dwarf engineer :)

I led some Destruction warbands for some of my playing stretches.  It was amazing how much teamwork there was for what amounted to one big ever-changing PUG. 

There were always a small few players attempting to countermand the designated Leader's orders, but they still stuck with it knowing that they'd have no chance on their own.  Most players in the RvR zones were all about the fighting.  They didn't want to bother trying to hypothesize what the enemy would likely be doing and how to attack them at the most opportune time & place.  Just lead them to where they need to be and turn the bloodthirsty bastards loose.   ;D 

Turned out great nearly every time, even when most people weren't using Voice.  Rarely seen such teamwork from random internet PUGs.  8)  I think that's why it was so memorable; you could have an ongoing little war for hours, with various people joining & leaving regularly, but it still worked well.

FlickJax

Quote from: Nefaro on December 07, 2015, 10:25:11 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on December 07, 2015, 04:02:19 AM
I remember being in some damn massive battles but dont quite remember the tactics and structure....above my pay grade I expect as a lowly dwarf engineer :)

I led some Destruction warbands for some of my playing stretches.  It was amazing how much teamwork there was for what amounted to one big ever-changing PUG. 

There were always a small few players attempting to countermand the designated Leader's orders, but they still stuck with it knowing that they'd have no chance on their own.  Most players in the RvR zones were all about the fighting.  They didn't want to bother trying to hypothesize what the enemy would likely be doing and how to attack them at the most opportune time & place.  Just lead them to where they need to be and turn the bloodthirsty bastards loose.   ;D 

Turned out great nearly every time, even when most people weren't using Voice.  Rarely seen such teamwork from random internet PUGs.  8)  I think that's why it was so memorable; you could have an ongoing little war for hours, with various people joining & leaving regularly, but it still worked well.

Got to admit I loved it while it lasted, it seemed to fall apart just as quick as it grew though :(

Martok

A new blog is up, talking about building trees and settlement management: 

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Building_blog

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

#65
Ooh, some material that I missed earlier! 



A couple blogs (both fairly extensive):  The first one takes a look at how Lords, Heroes, and Legendary Lords will work in-game, and the second one takes a look at Heroes specifically.  For the first time, Heroes can act not only as agents on the campaign map, but as powerful warriors (and wizards!) directly on the battlefield as well. 

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/How_Lords_Work

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/How_Heroes_Work



And I could've sworn I'd posted this before (although clearly I was mistaken), but here's a nice video of a partial campaign walkthrough for the Greenskins; it also shows off a good chunk of the lovely campaign map: 



"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

it looks stunning - i cannot wait for this - personal campaign battles for extra gear?? yes please

Martok

#67
Yeah, I'm excited about that too. 

In addition, one of those blogs I just linked (I think it's the first one) mentions that if you wish, it's entirely possible to assemble your Legendary Lord together with other Lords & Heroes together into a single "army" with no troops -- a good old-fashioned adventuring party, if you will -- on a quest for those special items for your Legendary Lord.  8) 



Argh, me suck at grammar. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

staying loyal to the actual table top - music to my ears, goblins that can dig under mountains to escape, i love the way the encampments get adorned with your races stuff when you take over

stuck now, as a turtler im a natural dwarf player but i like the look of the orcs but theyre a fast and aggressive game choice - not my style - itll be fun to learn all the different ways of each race

Martok

Yeah, I think the Dwarves and (to a lesser extent) the Empire are going to be the closest fit to my play-style.  I can't deny, however, that the Greenskins look/sound like a hell of a lot of fun.  :D  Am very curious to see what the Vampire Counts are like (gameplay-wise); I suspect they'll be an interesting contrast. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

I'll probably go full-on Greenskin from the start.  Dwarves are a close second but da Greeniez iz da bomb!

Then again.. I wonder if the Chaos faction add-on will be a full representation.  Damn.. they're all interesting!  :smitten:


We still have at least another .. four months??  Before the first buggy version is even released.  Lotsa time to ponder.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on January 11, 2016, 02:06:49 PM
Before the first buggy version is even released.  Lotsa time to ponder.

your lack of faith is disturbing

Martok

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 11, 2016, 02:34:48 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 11, 2016, 02:06:49 PM
Before the first buggy version is even released.  Lotsa time to ponder.

your lack of faith is disturbing
But entirely understandable. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

Damn Geek. I began to choke when you said that. Who's you Daddy?  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I am a natural dwarf as well.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd