The Summer of 82

Started by mirth, July 30, 2015, 11:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I was reading Philip K. Dick, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke. Most movies I saw never had a chance. Reading good sci-fi means you're going to be disappointed with most sci-fi films.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2015, 08:15:55 PM
Out of all of them I think Poltergeist is my favorite. My parents would not let me see it at the time of release.

I love Poltergeist dearly, it's one of my favourite films.  For me, the first film I was "banned" from seeing was The Exorcist, thus ensuring I'd see it at the first opportunity.  It's also now one of my favourite films!

Gusington

Thank you Huw. The rest of you can suckle it.

The Exorcist, to me, is the all time most frightening movie ever made and my favorite of all time. I don't remember my first viewing of it though...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Mine was at the local Drive-In. With 2 very easily frightened young, attractive girls that sat real close when scared.  O0 I liked that movie.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Ha...my mom refused to let me near The Exorcist for years...I wanted to read the book and she was all "nooooope not gonna happen."

When I finally DID see it...the movie that is...I remember thinking..."Okay...well that wasn't all that bad."

Gusington

What movies are more frightening to you than The Exorcist BC?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 04:30:41 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on July 30, 2015, 02:58:29 PM
Although it was released in March 1982, Porky's could still be seen at drive-ins in the summer of '82.

Not sure Porky's makes it into the sci-fi genre.

But getting laid sure was fiction in my world at the time.
Any time is a good time for pie.

MetalDog

I've watched The Exorcist exactly once.  I refuse to watch it again.  I'm already going to hell, I don't need a preview.  Another one I saw once and refuse to watch again is Rosemary's Baby.  The original Omen movie is like that, too.  Just remember, just because you don't believe in the Devil, doesn't mean he doesn't believe in you.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

Any movie with Star Trek in the title made by Jar Jar Abrams scares the hell out of me.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Heaven's where it's going to be tough. How are you going to sue anyone there? All the lawyers and judges are..... I know you heard it before.  :uglystupid2: In my version of hell, nothing would be on TV but The View and The Batchelor. That's why I Be Good.  O:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I love The Omen (the original, 1972 I think) and Rosemary's Baby (the original, 1968). Frightening movies well-acted without resorting to cheap tricks or ridiculous over the top effects. Classics!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

There were several sequels to the Exorcist. The 3rd one I think, with George C Scott in it scared the hell out of me. Almost as bad as the original. The hospital scene at night where the nurse got her :buck2: cut off was the worst. I ALWAYS thought about that one whenever I worked night shift.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 01, 2015, 10:31:01 PM
There were several sequels to the Exorcist. The 3rd one I think, with George C Scott in it scared the hell out of me. Almost as bad as the original. The hospital scene at night where the nurse got her :buck2: cut off was the worst. I ALWAYS thought about that one whenever I worked night shift.

I finally got around to watching the third one last year, and yeah...it's pretty damn scary.

It took a long time for me to finally sit and watch it because the second one is in the running for the shittiest, most hilariously bad movie that I have ever seen. Unless everyone involved in that mess was a raging cokehead, there is no explanation for the awfulness that was crapped out on film.

Huw the Poo

Hahaha.  I need to watch 3 now.  I actually didn't mind 2 all that much, although Richard Burton's performance was absolutely horrible and kind of ruined it.  Blair did a very good job with what she was given, to be fair to her.

What about the prequels?  I have both...apparently the prequel was on its way to being decent until a studio bod stepped in and basically turned it into a different film...?  But the original vision ended up being made anyway, or something.  I'm sure I've watched one of them and it turned out to be crap but I haven't seen the other.