Galciv III and ridiculous DLC

Started by Jarhead0331, August 11, 2015, 01:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106

This is a perfect example of ridiculous DLC that should be entirely free of charge. I mean, $4.99 for five random events? I dunno, I'm usually pretty good about paying for DLC when I feel it adds value to a game, or significant content, but this...not so much.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Are these long-term campaign changing things, or is it just the usual one-shot random events with a few multiple choice answers that may adjust some value.. once?   ???

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 01:27:56 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106

This is a perfect example of ridiculous DLC that should be entirely free of charge. I mean, $4.99 for five random events? I dunno, I'm usually pretty good about paying for DLC when I feel it adds value to a game, or significant content, but this...not so much.

Agree. 

This only deepens my disappointment with Gal Civ III.  The game doesn't do enough to innovate over Gal Civ II (which is a great game, but Gal Civ III feels way too similar IMO). DLC might be a way to flesh the game out a bit and differentiate it from its predecessor. But if this is how Stardock is thinking about 'enhancing' the game going forward, I'm not impressed.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on August 11, 2015, 01:32:21 PM
Are these long-term campaign changing things, or is it just the usual one-shot random events with a few multiple choice answers that may adjust some value.. once?   ???

They seem like large game changing events. But still, that doesn't make a difference to me. OK, so you now have an event that instantly causes all races in the galaxy to declare war. I should pay extra for that?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 01:45:57 PMOK, so you now have an event that instantly causes all races in the galaxy to declare war. I should pay extra for that?

SPECTER does :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

Well, that is disappointing to see them get in line with Paradox..... and I will say that events is not DLC, it is just milking.... Galactic Milk


PE

sandman2575

Quote from: PanzersEast on August 11, 2015, 01:55:36 PM
Well, that is disappointing to see them get in line with Paradox..... and I will say that events is not DLC, it is just milking.... Galactic Milk


PE

Think that's slightly unfair to Pdox.  I can't imagine them offering DLC this minimal.  This is a patch Stardock is charging for, not actual DLC.

PanzersEast

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 11, 2015, 02:07:44 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on August 11, 2015, 01:55:36 PM
Well, that is disappointing to see them get in line with Paradox..... and I will say that events is not DLC, it is just milking.... Galactic Milk


PE

Think that's slightly unfair to Pdox.  I can't imagine them offering DLC this minimal.  This is a patch Stardock is charging for, not actual DLC.

A clothes DLC from Paradox is good DLC? 

Some of their stuff is pretty crappy, but then others are really Mini-Expansions rather than DLC.  Trust me, it has not stopped me from purchasing EU IV and CK2 DLC, but only at a substantial discount.  I am in the minority that like GalCiv III, but not enough to pay 5$ for events.... crap that is like paying for Hair in CK2!

PE

sandman2575

No question Pdox offers a flood of 'mini' DLC for CKII etc. etc.  But all that stuff is cosmetic, and stuff you can easily do without.  "Events" DLC seems like a (bad) new precedent to me.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 11, 2015, 02:19:55 PM
No question Pdox offers a flood of 'mini' DLC for CKII etc. etc.  But all that stuff is cosmetic, and stuff you can easily do without.  "Events" DLC seems like a (bad) new precedent to me.

Yeah...soon they will be selling individual turns as DLC. For just .99 cents, you can purchase the next turn in the latest turn-based blockbuster from Stardock!  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Anguille

Not cool...should be part of the game...which is not that cheap to start from.

Nefaro

#11
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 11, 2015, 01:32:21 PM
Are these long-term campaign changing things, or is it just the usual one-shot random events with a few multiple choice answers that may adjust some value.. once?   ???

They seem like large game changing events. But still, that doesn't make a difference to me. OK, so you now have an event that instantly causes all races in the galaxy to declare war. I should pay extra for that?

I agree, it's asking too much for a handful of random events.


I recall people warning about DLC heading this direction almost a decade ago and it seems to be happening more often lately, proving them correct.  Even Microsoft seems to be taking this payware milking route with Win10 features.


Wolfe1759

#12
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 01:27:56 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106

This is a perfect example of ridiculous DLC that should be entirely free of charge. I mean, $4.99 for five random events? I dunno, I'm usually pretty good about paying for DLC when I feel it adds value to a game, or significant content, but this...not so much.

Haven't bought it yet (might do when it goes on sale) but I think it is more than 5 events as the store screen says "Events include:" and then lists 5 which to me implies that there are more, how many though I don't know.

P.S. One thing I do rather like about the latest (1.2) patch is the new up-scaled "medium" UI interface, works nicely on my 1920x1080 resolution.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Bison

The did a couple of similar dlc for Forgotten Enchantress too.  But if there is a positive they are nothing like Paradox.  If you were to buy Paradox DLC when it comes out, I think the cost of CK2 at this point is around $170.

vyshka

But, but, they are MEGA events  ;D