Main Menu

Heinlein

Started by bayonetbrant, August 12, 2015, 04:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on September 02, 2015, 06:42:34 PM
Job: A Comedy of Justice has to be one of Heinlein's books that I've read more than once.  As a youngster, it did get me to thinking and questioning the particular tenets of the faith I was being brought up in.

I did read more Heinlein stories, as well as Asimov, Clarke, etc. as well; more of a Pournelle fan myself...makes a fellow wonder if the Silver Age science fiction stories still hold an attraction for the younger folk.

Ah, Larry and Jerry. I loved Inferno and Fallen Angles.  Fallen Angles had a nod in it to Clifford Simak, one of my favorite authors. :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on September 02, 2015, 06:58:35 PMClifford Simak, one of my favorite authors. :)

+1.

Check out the short stories The Big front Yard and Good Night Mr James some time for an ideas of his range.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 02, 2015, 07:29:43 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 02, 2015, 06:58:35 PMClifford Simak, one of my favorite authors. :)

+1.

Check out the short stories The Big front Yard and Good Night Mr James some time for an ideas of his range.

The Big front Yard is the Simak nod in Fallen Angels.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Well, then I'll just have to read Fallen Angels, now won't I?

I'm sure it it will be good since I've already read the Mote in God's Eye series and Lucifer's Hammer.

EDIT: Forgot to also mention Footfall.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 02, 2015, 07:41:27 PM
EDIT: Forgot to also mention Footfall.

The propulsion method for the human spaceship was just so freakin' metal in Footfall - leave it to us to get off planet via nuclear explosions!  Whooo!

Staggerwing

Another great writer you don't hear mentioned much anymore these days is Roger Zelazny. For those of you unlucky enough to have not yet read his books you should start here: The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth.

EDIT: Bad copy/paste fix. Sorry MD.

MetalDog

Hey, Stagger.  That'd be Roger, not George.  Good call though.  Never read any of his SF, but, I've read all 12 Amber books.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Staggerwing

Did I mention that Poul Anderson is a damn fine author as well? Check out his Time Patrol series for a great mix of history and scifi (sometimes actually becoming alt-history). His Boat of a Million Years is also a must read.

besilarius

Two of Anderson's earlist works are Three Heartsand Three Lions, and the Broken Sword.
Both are extremely well done and in totally different genres.
Three Hearts and Three Lions is easy read fantasy, but the Broken Sword is a dark take on the Norse myths.  He had a lot of range.
And for just fun, the Dominic Flandry series is about a galactic empire's trouble shooter.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

War of the Gods is another of Anderson's gems. It juxtaposes the story of the Scandinavian chieftain Hadding with that of the conflict between the Norse Gods of the Aesir and Vanir.

bob48

'Glory Road' I liked, although I guess I have read just about all of his books over the years.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 02, 2015, 09:03:16 PM
Another great writer you don't hear mentioned much anymore these days is Roger Zelazny. For those of you unlucky enough to have not yet read his books you should start here: The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth.

EDIT: Bad copy/paste fix. Sorry MD.

I am re-reading the Amber series at the moment. I gotta find me some Trumps.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 02, 2015, 09:27:12 PM
Did I mention that Poul Anderson is a damn fine author as well? Check out his Time Patrol series for a great mix of history and scifi (sometimes actually becoming alt-history). His Boat of a Million Years is also a must read.

One of my all-time favourite SF writers, especially the Nicholas Van Rijn stories.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

A certain major RPG game company (which is not functional at this time) supposedly had a handshake with Zelazny to do a really in depth Amber RPG.
Since the family in Amber were based on a D&D group that Zelazny played in, this would have been ultra nerd cool.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.