Multiplayer on 7 Days to Die

Started by Swatter, August 30, 2015, 02:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

So, huh, the mapedge is at 10km? So 20 km x 20 km.

That's still very respectable, but makes me wonder why the map function allows scrolling out at least as far as 20km from the center (thus 40 x 40).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

BC, yeah it's a modded server so it's in the second or third list, not the first one. And even then sometimes it wouldn't list for me at first, even doing searches.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

OJsDad

I'm on the server right now.  There's someone here named Number 41  Any idea who that is.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Thanks for showing me around, OJD. You guys have a hell of a fortress there. Hope I didn't f-up that tub. I can't believe that happened. I crouched down and heard a pop and boom, part of it was missing.

If I did, most extreme apologies for doing that. I better get some side experience. This game takes up a lot of my system's resources (which isn't much) - it takes about 10 minutes to load and about 5 or so to come down after exiting. And there was some lag, but I think that's my weak processor and not the server at all.

Good to see you too, JP, if briefly. :)

OJsDad

I don't think you broke the tub.  When JP and I went to look at it, water was at bottom of tunnel but not filling the ladder area.

Too bad you couldn't stay around, got hit hard with a hoard attack at night.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2016, 07:48:24 PM
That's Aztank.

Number 41 is from the movie Ben Hur...  "row well and live number 41"
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Yeah, I very much do not understand what happened with the tub. Although, I did notice that that house had been hit hard by some kind of horde; many of the walls were damaged and the vault door was almost breached. (I had sealed off the bathroom area for better security a few gameweeks before, but the rest of the house is quite open.) I'm wondering if a clipping issue resulted in some cops getting in a position where they could puke constantly in a direction for a while, and that block ended up taking most or all of the damage.

If so, then the minor amounts of usually invisible stress created by players by being near blocks, could have caused the rupture. It's the only explanation aside from sheer bugginess that I can guess at from what I've seen (and still relies on a clipping bug). Fortunately, water is hard to destroy -- back before the most recent update, I was even able to spread it out by punching it! (Something I haven't tried again yet in this game, because there was no need.) So most of it is down the ladder under the vault hatch, and it doesn't run out. Essentially, the end result is that we can get water a little faster and more securely, as it's hard for hordes to attack a vault hatch.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I might even consider taking a wrench and/or a steel pickaxe to that vault hatch, getting rid of it entirely, and then sealing up the whole area with brick.

Relatedly, I have a suspicion that the cobblestone we've been using for the fortifications outside the Pharmabase, isn't as sturdy as brick. But unlike brick, the cobble can be upgraded to concrete. I also have a suspicion that my air-tunnel collapsed, not because of some inherent stress problem, but because it took a ton of damage somehow at a key point and when Budd got near it or on it, his localized stress was enough to tip the balance.


Meanwhile, actually BC I'd say you're lucky you left when you did. That sabbath horde was unendingly bad. It didn't help that...

(1) The only people who can make both ammo tips and ammo casings (or even one of them) are Budd and (maybe) Aztank, and Budd was off looting a city near the map edge. So once we started running out of ammo, we were increasingly screwed. (I can make any ammo, not sure about OJDad, but I need fabricated material to work with. I can fabricate the gunpowder -- and did, a lot of it -- but not the casings and tips. I made what I could out of the lead tips available.)

(2) The food chest has gotten borked. Neither I nor OJD can open it now. Possibly only Budd can, who knows? (It isn't locked, of course, it's still unlocked. Just bugged.) Suddenly instead of having tons of food, we have practically none. This is a grievous loss.

(3) Somebody picked up my bag off the floor, so when I eventually died as the fort was overrun (the corridor leading from the garage to the fort, specifically), I randomspawned a huge distance away. And then got murdered by a minihorde before I got very far. Fortunately the second spawn allowed me to trod back to Pharmabase by noonish, but it took practically that long for OJD to heroically finish off the horde. I ran into a TON of zombies on the way back.

I have to say, I'm feeling a bit realistically suicidal from all that. ;) There is no game goal (in multiplayer anyway) other than survival and being able to survive better, and the interest of exploring the nicely generated worlds. The game may have finally beaten me.  :P :'(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

If you haven't run the experiment yet, Budd, that answers the question we were wondering about when I logged off last night: the game only remembers the immediate last place you dropped a sleeping bag. If you pick it up, the game doesn't look back to the previous bag you dropped -- otherwise I would have spawned at Deepbase1.

I suppose it's possible that you yourself picking up your own bag might make a difference in the code, but I kind of doubt it. It would be easy enough to test, though, and you may have done that already.

(Budd was thinking about sacrificing 10 health/stam to teleport back to Pharmabase by killing himself, but he had already laid down a new bag at the new city.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

OJsDad

JP, after you logged out u was able to open the food chest.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

ArizonaTank

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting attacked by hordes on a daily basis, most of them quite large.  Probably has to do with the fact that I am running two forges to make concrete...  I can hold them off from my perch on the roof, but using lots of ammo...  Will run out soon....  Need lead and bullet casings....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

-budd-

#372
i think it might have to do with a players level with hordes attacking. I'm getting hit way more often, feral and otherwise. I'm away from base and im down to arrows for ammo, i need to find calipers for casings. I've started a base down here, temp basing on a powerstaion roof and have started tunneling. Big lake in this area with a land bridge across, so water isnt a problem, couple of big towns close by to loot. I usually move bases to get at different parts of the map, i'll probably go along the map edge and work south after looting the area.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

OJsDad

I'm not leveled that high, but I was getting hit with mini hoard's when I ventured out the two days before big rush at night.  JP, that's what happened to the water house.  I'd taken BC to show him where the water supply was and while there three Zed's showed up and attached the door.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

I did add something around 867 units of fuel to the trunk that you guys had your fuel in. I first spawned in winter conditions between a building and a gas station, and the gas station gave up a lot of gas. Tried to break down the door of the gas station but my stone axe wore out fast and I was dying of hypothermia, when zombies jumped me. I couldn't run and died pretty ingloriously. I was surprised the gas was still with me when I respawned in a much warmer area, close to your base.