Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on October 07, 2015, 12:52:51 PM
There's a big message behind launching that attack from the Caspian.

yeah, thats its not safe for them to operate anywhere else.   :P
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Why bother when they can do it from the Caspian?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Swatter

This is getting to be a soap opera, except that real lives are being lost. I would give anything to sit in on Obama's national security briefings. Is there chaos? Ambivalence? Dumb-founded looks? Perhaps Obama is a master strategist and we peons simply cannot comprehend his complicated maneuvering that only appears to be stagnation and indecision.

Sir Slash

If they don't straighten up soon, Obama's going to send Kerry over on his bicycle to set them straight.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

pawelj

Quote from: LongBlade on October 07, 2015, 04:28:27 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 07, 2015, 01:00:39 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 07, 2015, 12:58:35 PM
QuoteI'm not saying they lack the capability. I'm just not inclined to accept that YouTube video as actual proof.

So you doubt their capability at least...

He didn't say he doubted that they have capability.

I don't discount the possibility. My comment on splashing in the Med was only half joking - just wondering if they are close to where our capabilities are - able to put a cruise missile in the third buttonhole of the second soldier to the right.

As for Iraqi airspace...Iraq who? I'll bet ya a dollar the part of Iraqi airspace crossed over wasn't controlled by Maliki.
For starters Maliki is no longer in charge. It's Haider al-Abadi.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

bayonetbrant

Nice summation from a Mid-east expert, posted over on Facebook

QuoteSyria really isn't so complicated. ISIS is fighting unbelievers (by mainly killing Muslims), the Turks are bombing ISIS (but really bombing Kurds), the Russians are attacking ISIS (but actually attacking the anti-ISIS opposition), Hizbullah is confronting Israel (by killing Syrians), the Saudis are fighting extremism (by backing extremists), and the Syrian regime is bombing terrorists (by slaughtering civilians with barrel bombs).
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 08, 2015, 05:10:28 AM
Nice summation from a Mid-east expert, posted over on Facebook

QuoteSyria really isn't so complicated. ISIS is fighting unbelievers (by mainly killing Muslims), the Turks are bombing ISIS (but really bombing Kurds), the Russians are attacking ISIS (but actually attacking the anti-ISIS opposition), Hizbullah is confronting Israel (by killing Syrians), the Saudis are fighting extremism (by backing extremists), and the Syrian regime is bombing terrorists (by slaughtering civilians with barrel bombs).

Everybody loses.

Staggerwing

Except Assad & Vlad
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Centurion40

Quote from: pawelj on October 08, 2015, 04:43:34 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 07, 2015, 04:28:27 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 07, 2015, 01:00:39 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 07, 2015, 12:58:35 PM
QuoteI'm not saying they lack the capability. I'm just not inclined to accept that YouTube video as actual proof.

So you doubt their capability at least...

He didn't say he doubted that they have capability.

I don't discount the possibility. My comment on splashing in the Med was only half joking - just wondering if they are close to where our capabilities are - able to put a cruise missile in the third buttonhole of the second soldier to the right.

As for Iraqi airspace...Iraq who? I'll bet ya a dollar the part of Iraqi airspace crossed over wasn't controlled by Maliki.
For starters Maliki is no longer in charge. It's Haider al-Abadi.

Yeah.  Happy looking fellow, isn't he?

Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

I really have mixed feelings about the whole middle eastern situation.

On the one hand, I could care less if Russia bleeds and bankrupts itself by getting militarily involved in Syria and Iraq.  And if they can bring some stability to that region, fine.  More power to them.

On the other hand I am somewhat concerned about a Russian-powered Shia regional super-state stretching from Iran to Syria.
Any time is a good time for pie.

pawelj

Syria today is a bit like Spain in the 30's. So far we had Austria (Crimea), Czechoslovakia - Sudetenland (Eastern Ukraine). Now Spain (Syria).
Where will we see Poland - it probably won't be Poland this time.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Gusington

Hi. Is this where I buy tickets to WWIII?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on October 08, 2015, 09:58:52 AM
Hi. Is this where I buy tickets to WWIII?

Quite possibly. Remember, that's the spiritual goal of the mullahs in Iran.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: Swatter on October 07, 2015, 07:53:47 PM
This is getting to be a soap opera, except that real lives are being lost. I would give anything to sit in on Obama's national security briefings. Is there chaos? Ambivalence? Dumb-founded looks? Perhaps Obama is a master strategist and we peons simply cannot comprehend his complicated maneuvering that only appears to be stagnation and indecision.

I think I can imagine what's going on through Obama's mind.

For starters we need to recognize his philosophy for what it is. The word isn't fashionable any more, but he's an Isolationist. Plain and simple. IMHO he believes if we stop "meddling" in other nations' affairs then they'll leave us alone.

As for Syria, there's something of a case to be made for letting them all kill each other. They're doing an excellent job of that now without much help from us. And this dovetails perfectly with Obama's Isolationism.

I could go on, but it seems to me that seeing Obama as an Isolationist explains virtually everything about his foreign policy. No wonder Hillary didn't accomplish anything. Her orders were to withdraw on all fronts. In that light it's difficult to blame her for a lack of accomplishments, since the president never wanted her - us - the US - to do anything other than put the car in reverse and keep it there.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.