Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawelj

Quote from: Boggit on September 21, 2016, 08:17:26 PM
Quote from: pawelj on September 20, 2016, 05:55:38 AM
Next stop - No Fly Zone over Syria.
Fine in principle, but who does it benefit? I can't see the Russians, or Assad's lot going along with it.

As to strikes on IS, would the US, France, or the UK really want a no fly zone? How else will they project power against IS?

It certainly helps the Kurds who are the real combatants on the ground against IS. Any no fly zone will not help them, much to the delight of Erdogan and his Turkish government, who are probably on a land grab anyway. And Turkey hasn't exactly been squeaky clean over its dealings with IS either... why hurt the efforts of our best ally against IS?
When I say no fly zone I mean no Syrian/Russian fly zone. The coalition (The Good Guys) would do what is what it like to bomb IS ans obviously police the no fly zone. Of course with Obama still in the office that is no a very likely proposition, but it is the correct way forward. 
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Boggit

Quote from: pawelj on September 23, 2016, 07:40:21 AM
Quote from: Boggit on September 21, 2016, 08:17:26 PM
Quote from: pawelj on September 20, 2016, 05:55:38 AM
Next stop - No Fly Zone over Syria.
Fine in principle, but who does it benefit? I can't see the Russians, or Assad's lot going along with it.

As to strikes on IS, would the US, France, or the UK really want a no fly zone? How else will they project power against IS?

It certainly helps the Kurds who are the real combatants on the ground against IS. Any no fly zone will not help them, much to the delight of Erdogan and his Turkish government, who are probably on a land grab anyway. And Turkey hasn't exactly been squeaky clean over its dealings with IS either... why hurt the efforts of our best ally against IS?
When I say no fly zone I mean no Syrian/Russian fly zone. The coalition (The Good Guys) would do what is what it like to bomb IS ans obviously police the no fly zone. Of course with Obama still in the office that is no a very likely proposition, but it is the correct way forward.
Well I can see that the Western, Saudi and Gulf state governments would like it to happen, but I can't see Russia and Al Assad (nor Iran) buying into it. I can see Turkey using it to hit the Kurds, with lots of recriminations from the other Western governments, (but with Saudi and the Gulf just turning a blind eye to attacks on the Kurds).

At the moment there is no 'coalition' per se, save for the air strikes contributors on IS, and without troops on the ground (save for the Kurds) to identify targets, a 'coalition' air supremacy will do little to damage IS, who can hide behind human shields/set up dummy targets etc. Moreover, why would Russia and Al Assad go along with a no fly zone, when that will mean they lose a significant method of power projection and would then pay for its loss with increased ground casualties? I wouldn't if I were Putin or Al Assad. From their perspective the idea is just stupid.

It's still difficult to know who exactly are the good guys fighting Assad. There are a multitude of different forces and allegiances fighting Al Assad, some of whom have changed their public branding like the Al Nusra Front affiliated to Al Queda. It is a hotchpot of shifting alliances of Islamists, Secularists, Democrats etc who are in alliance sometimes and sometimes fighting each other. The so called good guys have committed plenty of atrocities against minorities just as Al Assad has committed atrocities against the Sunni majority. Both Iran and Saudi fight it as a proxy sectarian war, Al Assad for survival of his regime, the Russians to maintain their influence, the Turks to get at the Kurds (and the Turks have been very cosy with IS for a long time). I could go on and on, but you get the drift that it is a messy war with a lot of different agendas being fought for my both sides.

The sad thing is that this war is just going to continue until the parties fighting the proxy war get tired of it. That might not happen for a long time, and the civilians caught in the middle - on both sides - will inevitably pay a price in blood.

My own view is that it is better to carve the country up along ethnic and sectarian lines as independent states. You then can only hope that they'll stay within their own borders and keep to themselves. Unfortunately the hatred runs deep on both sides, so I don't know if that would work, but at least it's an idea worth mooting.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

You mean the White Helmets who have deep ties to Al-Qaeda and help with the executions, and who most likely took out the Red Crescent Aid convoy (warning people two days in advance it was going to be hit so not to get involved with it)?

Yeah, I noticed Time Magazine had a cover story on them this week, making them out to be one of the few cheerworthy good guys in the region. (Complete with a famous quote from one of the Syrian Patristic writers on the cover, which I happened to recognize but which I failed to find reference to in the article. Granted I was bouncing around in city traffic at the time.)

Maybe they have a number of bad apples but the group itself isn't entirely compromised yet. Hard to tell.  :(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Regime has been trying to smear the White Helmets' public profile with Al Qaida rumors. The volunteer rescue group represent a kind of public hope and defiance of Assad's inhuman war on civilians.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I don't know what to believe anymore.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

That's kinda the point of propaganda in war.  O0

Gusington

I thought the point was to believe the side spewing out more "correct" propaganda...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 10, 2016, 05:47:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Regime has been trying to smear the White Helmets' public profile with Al Qaida rumors. The volunteer rescue group represent a kind of public hope and defiance of Assad's inhuman war on civilians.

Assad is like Hillary Clinton. A total scumbag, but the alternative is worse.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

Wait until Assad wakes-up one morning and finds a horse's head lying in bed next him with 'From Russia With Love' on a note stuck in it's teeth.  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on October 10, 2016, 07:34:59 PM
I thought the point was to believe the side spewing out more "correct" propaganda...

That reminded me of seeing a film of Goebbels (I think maybe in the World At War series or its secondary collections) addressing a German audience in his nifty little schlaeger-fencing way (which I recognized immediately, and then realized I should never, ever use when public speaking or people will connect that back to Goebbels  :buck2: :'( ) -- and he's literally bragging to them, explicitly, about how enemy propaganda is crap, not because it's false but because Nazi propaganda is vastly much better.

And everyone was cheering him like he was promising them free gold. (...which, in a way, he was. A horrible, horrible way.  :uglystupid2: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 10, 2016, 05:47:11 PM

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised about that either. Or even by infiltrating people into the group who then act in support of Al Qaida.

Boggit

Given that Christians, nuns, priests were specifically targeted by the FSA especially in the early years of the war it is hard to know who actually are the good guys - if any. I also remember Syrians dancing in the streets after 9/11 burning US flags, so again, who are the good guys?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat