Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I heard on CNN also that Russia 'ordered' all US aircraft in the area to be grounded.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Yeah I can't believe it either :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on September 30, 2015, 06:10:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 30, 2015, 06:06:04 PM
I heard on CNN also that Russia 'ordered' all US aircraft in the area to be grounded.

We actually said no. I'm shocked.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/30/kerry-rebuffs-russian-demand-says-us-airstrikes-in-syria-will-continue/

Obama must have missed his daily brief this morning.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Or maybe Kerry might have made a decent international affairs president.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 30, 2015, 08:24:21 PM
Or maybe Kerry might have made a decent international affairs president.

:2funny:

Tell us another one!

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 30, 2015, 05:57:34 PM
There's actually a lot of them in Syria. The ISIS weenies are using Syria as a staging area but fighting more in Iraq

I believe you.

And I'd like to believe our military is quasi competent.

But here's the deal where I'm not connecting the dots:

We supposedly dropped half a billion bucks training six fighters to fight for us. The reason why there aren't more is because a few defected, but more importantly, we're having real trouble discerning the "good" rebels from the "bad." Bad meaning Daesh.

So if there are so many "good" rebels out there being bombed by USSR then why are we having so much trouble finding them?

The way I see it, USSR either knows something we don't, or the "good" rebels aren't really "good" enough to be considered fit to receive our weapons/training.

Can you help fill me in?

bayonetbrant

They don't care any more than we do to *really* figure out what's going on.  They're trying to placate Assad so they can keep a semi-permanent base in the region.  We're trying to placate a fickle American public because we're locked in a perpetual election cycle.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 30, 2015, 09:11:08 PM
They don't care any more than we do to *really* figure out what's going on. 

Really?

We pour a lot of bucks into intel to play games exactly like who's-really-on-my-side. I suspect both the Russians and the West have a fairly good understanding of who's who over there. Whether it bubbles up to public discourse is another topic.

However, the question still stands - are they on our side or not? Presumably they are at least convincingly so, though perhaps only in a Somoza-Duvalier-Noriega vein.

Sir Slash

Obama can't be bothered with Russia or Syria. He's too busy curing Global Warming. And did Kerry have another face-lift or did he just fall off his bicycle again?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I thought it was a permanent erection cycle...oh nevermind that's Star.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2015, 08:30:28 AM
I thought it was a permanent erection cycle...oh nevermind that's Star.

He lives in a Blue Pill state.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

eyebiter

Russian airstrikes have begun, Putin drafting 150,000 conscripts and sending additional equipment to Syria

mirth

I think the conscripts are part of the regular cycle in Russia. IIRC, there's a spring and fall call-up.

LongBlade

Conscripts?

The US occupied Iraq with ~120,000 highly professional soldiers and struggled.

150,000 conscripts are essentially cannon fodder. Putin truly is heartless. Or stupid. Or both.

Let's see, 20th of January 2017 is when the next president is sworn in.

Any bets as to whether Soviet Russia is still struggling to pacify Syria in 15 months?