Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: pawelj on October 07, 2015, 01:21:56 PM
If those missiles flew over Iran and Iraq they were not fired from the Med. Was it from Caspian sea?

Yes. Not sure what platforms they used to launch them.

Sir Slash

Wouldn't you just love it if the missiles fired from their ships in the Caspian actually hit their own ships in the Med.  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 07, 2015, 01:26:25 PM
If those missiles flew over Iran and Iraq they were not fired from the Med. Was it from Caspian sea?

The betting money is on Buyans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyan-class_corvette
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 07, 2015, 01:26:25 PM

According to Grim's video, they were ship launched from the Caspian Sea, off the coast of Iran.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on October 07, 2015, 01:00:39 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 07, 2015, 12:58:35 PM
QuoteI'm not saying they lack the capability. I'm just not inclined to accept that YouTube video as actual proof.

So you doubt their capability at least...

He didn't say he doubted that they have capability.

I don't discount the possibility. My comment on splashing in the Med was only half joking - just wondering if they are close to where our capabilities are - able to put a cruise missile in the third buttonhole of the second soldier to the right.

As for Iraqi airspace...Iraq who? I'll bet ya a dollar the part of Iraqi airspace crossed over wasn't controlled by Maliki.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Iraqi airspace is controlled by whoever happens to be flying through it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on October 07, 2015, 04:37:41 PM
Iraqi airspace is controlled by whoever happens to be flying through it.

Which is generally us at the moment, at Iraqi invitation. Things can get really interesting since we are in Syrian airspace uninvited and the Russians are in Iraqi airspace uninvited, with us in Iraqi airspace at the request of the Iraqis and the Russians in Syria at the request of the Syrians, or at least their government. What a mess!

Things like this can turn ugly fast:http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/07/politics/u-s-diverts-aircraft-to-avoid-russian-fighter/index.html

mirth

There's going to be a major incident. It's just a matter of time.

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on October 07, 2015, 05:37:00 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. It looks like we're quite consistent in leading from behind.

QuoteThe two planes were F-16s that had departed from Turkey's Incirlik air base and were on their way to a location near the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa, , a senior defense official told CNN. The U.S. aircraft that diverted were not able to complete their mission, the official said.

Since the Russians began operating in Syrian airspace, U.S. pilots have been under orders to change their flight path if there is a Russian plane within 20 nautical miles, according to the official.

Davis said the incident happened in the last few days but offered few additional details.

"We are taking action to ensure" the planes don't come too close to each other, he said, indicating there had only been one incident so far. There is no sign the two aircraft communicated with each other.

LongBlade

And linked to the above story is this gem.

How CNN publishes this drivel with a straight face is a mystery to me.

QuoteSecretary of State John Kerry has raised the possibility of a no-fly zone in Syria to protect civilians even as President Barack Obama has consistently rejected the idea, several administration officials told CNN.

Officials said Kerry has asked his staff to further develop the idea and raised the issue at a National Security Council meeting last week, where Obama discussed the U.S. strategy for stemming the bloody civil war in Syria with his top advisers.

Kerry "wants to revisit this and for it to be looked at more seriously," one senior administration official said, adding that the secretary of state has been advocating within the administration for "more robust measures" in Syria.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/06/politics/john-kerry-no-fly-zone-syria-obama/

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on October 07, 2015, 05:41:10 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. It looks like we're quite consistent in leading from behind.

QuoteThe two planes were F-16s that had departed from Turkey's Incirlik air base and were on their way to a location near the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa, , a senior defense official told CNN. The U.S. aircraft that diverted were not able to complete their mission, the official said.

Since the Russians began operating in Syrian airspace, U.S. pilots have been under orders to change their flight path if there is a Russian plane within 20 nautical miles, according to the official.

Davis said the incident happened in the last few days but offered few additional details.

"We are taking action to ensure" the planes don't come too close to each other, he said, indicating there had only been one incident so far. There is no sign the two aircraft communicated with each other.

I'm fine with giving the Russians a wide berth. I don't one of our guys getting popped and then having the White House follow-up with a "strongly worded protest".

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on October 07, 2015, 05:42:33 PM
And linked to the above story is this gem.

How CNN publishes this drivel with a straight face is a mystery to me.

QuoteSecretary of State John Kerry has raised the possibility of a no-fly zone in Syria to protect civilians even as President Barack Obama has consistently rejected the idea, several administration officials told CNN.

Officials said Kerry has asked his staff to further develop the idea and raised the issue at a National Security Council meeting last week, where Obama discussed the U.S. strategy for stemming the bloody civil war in Syria with his top advisers.

Kerry "wants to revisit this and for it to be looked at more seriously," one senior administration official said, adding that the secretary of state has been advocating within the administration for "more robust measures" in Syria.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/06/politics/john-kerry-no-fly-zone-syria-obama/

Brilliant.  ::)

Mr. Bigglesworth

I would bet on it. The question will be does O apologize for his plane being shot down.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on October 07, 2015, 04:28:27 PM

As for Iraqi airspace...Iraq who? I'll bet ya a dollar the part of Iraqi airspace crossed over wasn't controlled by Maliki.

It would mostly likely be flying over Kurdish held territory.  You know.. our only real allies in the whole region. 

I'm sure they weren't consulted.  Another statement from Putin, not just for Russian domestic consumption.

Mr. Bigglesworth

It looks like Iraq will be going to the Russians as well.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0S112120151007
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598