Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

I don't have much sympathy for him wheezing out in the foreground, but I kind of worry about the wailing woman in the background.  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

LongBlade

QuoteTwo federal agents operating under the umbrella of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) are claiming that eight Syrian illegal aliens attempted to enter Texas from Mexico in the Laredo Sector. The federal agents spoke with Breitbart Texas on the condition of anonymity, however, a local president of the National Border Patrol Council (NBPC) confirmed that Laredo Border Patrol agents have been officially contacting the organization with concerns over reports from other federal agents about Syrians illegally entering the country in the Laredo Sector. The reports have caused a stir among the sector's Border Patrol agents.

The sources claimed that eight Syrians were apprehended on Monday, November 16, 2015. According to the sources, the Syrians were in two separate "family units" and were apprehended at the Juarez Lincoln Bridge in Laredo, Texas, also known officially as Port of Entry 1.

Border Patrol agent and NBPC Local 2455 President Hector Garza told Breitbart Texas, "Border Patrol agents who we represent have been contacting our organization to voice concerns about reports from other agents that Syrians crossed the U.S. border from Mexico in the Laredo Sector. Our agents have heard about Syrians being apprehended in the area from other federal agents." Agent Garza added, "At this time, I cannot confirm or deny that Syrians have crossed, for security reasons."

source: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/18/report-8-syrians-caught-at-texas-border-in-laredo/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

OJsDad

There were also 5 Syrians detained in Honduras yesterday with fake passports from Greece.  According to the police they were heading for the US.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Centurion40

Quote from: OJsDad on November 19, 2015, 07:54:11 AM
There were also 5 Syrians detained in Honduras yesterday with fake passports from Greece.  According to the police they were heading for the US.

Stories like this make me wonder how many might be mixing with Latinos crossing the border illegally.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

I thought this had been happening for a while before the current problems.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Right. Why worry about the 10,000 coming here as refugees when the 10,000 coming here illegally will beat them here? Maybe they'll get confused and bomb each other. I say put big mirrors up in front of every Govt. building and when they see themselves coming, it will scare the shit out of them and they run the other way. It works with my cat.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2015, 08:45:57 AM
I thought this had been happening for a while before the current problems.

It has, but now the mainstream media might be paying a little attention.

panzerde

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 19, 2015, 10:38:01 AM
Right. Why worry about the 10,000 coming here as refugees when the 10,000 coming here illegally will beat them here? Maybe they'll get confused and bomb each other. I say put big mirrors up in front of every Govt. building and when they see themselves coming, it will scare the shit out of them and they run the other way. It works with my cat.

That...that's f'ing brilliant. I wonder, do you think they'd also chase a laser pointer if we shine it on the floor? :))
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

LongBlade

This just rolled across my email this morning. It's a defense of allowing refugees into the country - from a highly unlikely source.

I haven't vetted the numbers for accuracy yet but if they're true it's a thought worth considering.

Quote"In the 14 years since September 11, 2001, the United States has resettled 784,000 refugees from around the world, according to data from the Center for Migration Studies, a D.C. think tank. And within that population, three people have been arrested for activities related to terrorism. None of them were close to executing an attack inside the U.S., and two of the men were caught trying to leave the country to join terrorist groups overseas.

"I think I can count on one hand the number of crimes of any significance that I've heard have been committed by refugees," said Lavinia Limón, a veteran of refugee work since 1975 and the president of the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants. "It just hasn't been an issue."

QuoteDefenseone.com continues, that there are two reasons this isn't as big a problem as you may think ...

" ... The first is that there is a key difference between people seeking placement in the U.S. as refugees and the millions of people who have flooded into Europe seeking asylum. The Syrians in Europe in many cases are already at or over the border, having come directly from Syria in to Turkey and then Greece and elsewhere; that situation is more akin to the thousands of Cubans who have fled by boat to South Florida or the migrant workers from Central America who gathered at the U.S.-Mexico border last summer. A refugee applying for resettlement in the U.S., by contrast, must endure a screening process that takes as long as two years before stepping foot on American soil."

And the second reason?

"... since the program was briefly halted and then overhauled after the 9/11 attacks, refugee applicants are subject to the highest level of securitychecks of any type of traveler to the U.S. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees initially chooses which refugees to refer to the U.S. after doing its own check. U.S. officials then conduct multiple in-person interviews and verify a refugee's story with intelligence agencies and by running background checks through several government databases, including DHS and the National Counterterrorism Center. As a result of that extensive process, only around 2,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in the U.S. since its civil war broke out in 2011—a much lower number than many previous refugee crises."

Full article found here: http://preparedgunowners.com/?p=899

Bison

The statistics are not in favor of peaceful assimilation of non-like cultures.  See Europe for antidotal evidence.  The more interesting statistics would be to compare legal immigrant vs illegal or refugee across a broad spectrum of areas from crime to income levels to welfare support.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on November 19, 2015, 01:29:43 PM
The statistics are not in favor of peaceful assimilation of non-like cultures.  See Europe for antidotal evidence.  The more interesting statistics would be to compare legal immigrant vs illegal or refugee across a broad spectrum of areas from crime to income levels to welfare support.

Well, as they say on investment disclaimers, past success is no indication of future results.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on November 19, 2015, 01:42:42 PM
Quote from: Bison on November 19, 2015, 01:29:43 PM

Well, as they say on investment disclaimers, past success is no indication of future results.

Nor should consistent patterns be ignored out of a sense of feeling good or perhaps it'll be different this time. 

LongBlade

QuoteObama administration counter-terrorism officials have trained domestic Homeland Security law enforcement officers to focus on the behavior of people entering the United States, rather than their political, ideological or religious background.

The training directives from top Homeland Security officials raise questions about the effectiveness of the screening process for Syrian refugees.

source: http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/19/obama-officials-trained-to-focus-on-behavior-not-religion-or-ideology/

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on November 19, 2015, 03:10:59 PM
QuoteObama administration counter-terrorism officials have trained domestic Homeland Security law enforcement officers to focus on the behavior of people entering the United States, rather than their political, ideological or religious background.

The training directives from top Homeland Security officials raise questions about the effectiveness of the screening process for Syrian refugees.

source: http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/19/obama-officials-trained-to-focus-on-behavior-not-religion-or-ideology/

Oh please!  :2funny: :idiot2:
Any time is a good time for pie.