Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 07, 2017, 10:28:22 AM
The impression given this morning was that the Hawks were destroyer-launched, although I was thinking of subs, too.

The low casualty count suggests eyes on the ground giving real-time updates to strike coordinates, intended to smack low-pop areas. But I've also heard a major target were the runways themselves. Not many people out there. Although unless those Toms had Durandal capability I don't know how much good cratering the runways would do.

The important thing here was the bitchslap itself, not the damage done. It was a grave warning.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

JasonPratt

Unless the craters spelled out "DON'T GAS CIVVIES" in a local dialect, I suspect the regime will consider it ineptitude: they shot 60 missiles to kill 6 people, bwahahahaha.

Not noticing that the missiles cratered all their runways in straight lines like a sewing machine.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: bbmike on April 07, 2017, 08:25:41 AM
Meanwhile, Kim Jong-un be like:

We could put one through your window any dang time we chose, Jong.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Tillerson didn't pull any punches:

Quote"Clearly, Russia has failed in its responsibility to deliver on that commitment from 2013," Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson said on Thursday night. "So either Russia has been complicit or Russia has been simply incompetent in its ability to deliver on its end of that agreement."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/world/middleeast/missile-strike-syria-russia.html
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 07, 2017, 10:42:44 AM
Unless the craters spelled out "DON'T GAS CIVVIES" in a local dialect, I suspect the regime will consider it ineptitude: they shot 60 missiles to kill 6 people, bwahahahaha.

Not noticing that the missiles cratered all their runways in straight lines like a sewing machine.

Cratered runways, blew up a chunk of the Syrian Air Force, took out a radar station

QuoteThe American missiles destroyed a warehouse of material and technical property, a training building, a canteen, six MIG-23 aircraft in repair hangars and a radar station, according to the Russian military. A Russian television reporter, Evgeny Poddubny, who was at the air base, said nine planes had been destroyed.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on April 07, 2017, 10:57:06 AM
Tillerson didn't pull any punches:

Quote"Clearly, Russia has failed in its responsibility to deliver on that commitment from 2013," Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson said on Thursday night. "So either Russia has been complicit or Russia has been simply incompetent in its ability to deliver on its end of that agreement."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/world/middleeast/missile-strike-syria-russia.html

that might be the harsher thing Tillerson ever said in his life
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on April 07, 2017, 10:59:56 AM
Cratered runways, blew up a chunk of the Syrian Air Force, took out a radar station

QuoteThe American missiles destroyed a warehouse of material and technical property, a training building, a canteen, six MIG-23 aircraft in repair hangars and a radar station, according to the Russian military. A Russian television reporter, Evgeny Poddubny, who was at the air base, said nine planes had been destroyed.

Well, the regime shouldn't consider that ineptitude. To quote Brant upthread:

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 07, 2017, 08:54:04 AM

On the other hand, I bet medical supplies are being raced to the site on donkey carts even as we speak, to be thrown into the craters.  ::)  :-"

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Atilla60

Vlad has nullified military agreement with the US.

QuoteRussia suspends the Memorandum of Understanding on Prevention of Flight Safety Incidents in the course of operations in Syria signed with the US.
https://archive.fo/KR674
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Windigo

Quote from: Atilla60 on April 07, 2017, 04:17:18 PM

QuoteRussia suspends the Memorandum of Understanding on Prevention of Flight Safety Incidents in the course of operations in Syria signed with the US.

So they are saying what? Screw the safety precautions cuz we're mad? BTW where is the Russian POS carrier hanging out these days... still close to Syria?

OJsDad

Quote from: Windigo on April 07, 2017, 04:20:31 PM

So they are saying what? Screw the safety precautions cuz we're mad? BTW where is the Russian POS carrier hanging out these days... still close to Syria?

I thought it went back home. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Atilla60

Quote from: Windigo on April 07, 2017, 04:20:31 PM

So they are saying what? Screw the safety precautions cuz we're mad?

No, they are saying that from now on US-led coalition planes in Syrian airspace can be targeted by pro-Assad units.

JasonPratt

Okay, serious question: how is this action not effectively an act of war on the Assad regime?

I'm asking in terms of the options for Assad in politically responding. "The US has just declared war on us, except they haven't declared it. Are they going to make their act against us an official declaration of war, or try to pretend this isn't an act of war, or what?"

Windigo

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 07, 2017, 04:55:13 PM
Okay, serious question: how is this action not effectively an act of war on the Assad regime?

I'm asking in terms of the options for Assad in politically responding. "The US has just declared war on us, except they haven't declared it. Are they going to make their act against us an official declaration of war, or try to pretend this isn't an act of war, or what?"

They'll give it an impressive name like Humanitarian Driven Kinetic Policing Response

Gusington

It is an act of war on the Assad regime.

Anyway, from CNN:

"The US military official said the Pentagon was examining specifically whether a Russian warplane had bombed a hospital in Khan Sheikhoun five hours after the initial chemical attack, with the aim of destroying evidence."

For Chrissakes Russia, do you have to be the a-hole every minute of every day? You can take a break every now and then.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd