Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

I don't need a helmet.  I live near a priority first strike target.  Probably not close enough to get in the initial fireball.  House would stand from the blast wave too. I just have two rounds for my .45 for my wife and I.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ComradeP

Although I appreciate the military action, the Russian bullying bear stance and the volatile nature of Trumps character makes this worrying.

He's not exactly a master of brinkmanship when it comes to conflict. He'd just push that nice big button on his desk.

Starting with a simple problem: the United States, at the moment, does not have a Secretary of State/Minister of Foreign Affairs. Who would Lavrov or anyone else call?

Second fairly simple problem: Russia wants to retaliate, but seeing as how no Russians were injured or killed any strike against NATO armed forces would hardly be proportionate.

Besides: what would Russia do? Sink a US destroyer? Article 5, war with NATO. Attack NATO aircraft on airfields in Turkey or elsewhere? Article 5, war with NATO.

I hope the NATO reaction forces in the Baltic States got some good rest in the last few days, because they are not likely to enjoy a good rest any time soon if the Russians do attack a NATO target.

It's strange how, from one minute to the next, the world could face the next global war. Being at this point makes it a lot easier to understand how the First World War could occur.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Airborne Rifles

I have to wonder if the IAF strike a few days ago was a sort of "recon by fire" to confirm intel on the location of Syrian/Russian defenses?

Staggerwing

That seems a very real possibility. It could also cause the Syrians and Russians to move additional AA assets closer to future IAF inland incursion routes, possibly leaving some gaps on the northern Med side of Syria.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Saw a report on CNN that the Syrian Air Force did not even attempt to defend their airspace...probably on Russian orders to stand down.

I am still trying to figure out why the Syrians used chemicals so close to their final victory. Unless it wasn't the Syrian gov't, but some rebel group to make it look like it was the Syrian gov't.

Also, if I get incinerated in a nuclear fire because of Syria I am going to be pissed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on April 14, 2018, 09:58:14 AM
I am still trying to figure out why the Syrians used chemicals so close to their final victory.

I think I heard on our local news that the attack made (or forced) the last 'rebels' leave the area.  So Assad got out of it what he wanted.

Staggerwing

Also, Assad probably doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks of what he does, since to him his two choices probably appear to be:

1) Win at all costs
or
2) end up as a corpse hung upside down from a gas station canopy
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

No worries Gus. You can come shelter in my secret bunker under my pool.  Though.... the only game I have to play is Empire Total War so........ :-"
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^I guess it'll be incineration for me then.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on April 14, 2018, 05:25:37 PM
Who does the mother represent?

you need to pay a whoooooooole lot more money for any of us to give ou that kind of psychoanalysis
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus