Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

Quote from: Gusington on April 14, 2018, 09:58:14 AM
I am still trying to figure out why the Syrians used chemicals so close to their final victory. Unless it wasn't the Syrian gov't, but some rebel group to make it look like it was the Syrian gov't.

here is your briefing, Sir  :)

1. the Russkies had negotiated a ceasefire and orderly withdraw with the 'rebels' including supporters (family), which seemed to work fine first, then fizzled and then failed because of the ever struggling sub-factions and sub-sub-factions (welcome to the Orient) even inside that smallish 'rebels'-enclave.
They hided in deep dug tunnels in addition to existing cellars under the buildings. then a 'hazard industrial chemical', as a 'makeshift teargas/chem weapon' plus a grind of some real chemical weapons (Sarin?) (here comes the tricky part, who released that, was it in the mix before or did some rebels sub faction released a smallish amount when they got smoked out, on-top for White Helmet propaganda war purpose'?) was used to drive them and their supporting families out from those underground structures.
rebels returned to the negotiated plan after the 'smoke out' attack immediately, so it worked out very well for Assad and the Russkies (those surly don't want close combat in an urban environment clearing out tunnel by tunnel with squads, the causality rate can be up to 10:1 for the attacker) 

2. Assad's Syrian population in Damascus was outraged after fresh real! civilians death by shelling with rockets from that rebels enclave and demanded a fitting cruel retaliation (welcome to the Orient again) so the 'smoke them out attack' was also the political right thing to dare by the Assad-faction for his inner politics.

bayonetbrant

So I personally know 2 different neutral middle east experts - one's Canadian and another is Greek - that will both tell you in no uncertain terms that the White Helmets are the unsung heroes of the Middle East who are worked their damned asses off to do nothing more than save civilian lives.  They don't care which side you're on or how you got hit.  If you're in the free fire zone, they're trying to patch you up and get you out, at a significant exposure of themselves to personal harm.

I'll take the personal on-the-ground experience of a pair of people who I trust completely and were actually there at some point within the past 18 months over the long-distance disparagement of anyone claiming the White Helmets are some sort of nefarious plot to dupe/confuse people already prone to fall for the conspiracy-theory-du-jour.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Why not just wait the remaining rebels out, if you're the Syrian gov't, instead of using chemicals and pissing off the entire world?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 15, 2018, 06:24:10 AM
So I personally know 2 different neutral middle east experts - one's Canadian and another is Greek - that will both tell you in no uncertain terms that the White Helmets are the unsung heroes of the Middle East who are worked their damned asses off to do nothing more than save civilian lives.  They don't care which side you're on or how you got hit.  If you're in the free fire zone, they're trying to patch you up and get you out, at a significant exposure of themselves to personal harm.

I'll take the personal on-the-ground experience of a pair of people who I trust completely and were actually there at some point within the past 18 months over the long-distance disparagement of anyone claiming the White Helmets are some sort of nefarious plot to dupe/confuse people already prone to fall for the conspiracy-theory-du-jour.

+1

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Quote from: OJsDad on April 15, 2018, 08:15:41 PM
Putin warns of 'chaos' in international order if Syria gets attacked again - https://www.cnbc.com/id/105133001?view=story&trk=mostpopular::1:102527204

Putin should know- just look at Ukraine/Crimea.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

I have 4 gallon jugs of Chlorine to use in my swimming pool. Do I need to register these with the United Nations does anyone know? And am I now stronger than the Syrian Army?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Airborne Rifles

Add Iraq to the growing list of countries dropping ordnance in Syria: http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/20237/now-iraq-has-started-bombing-targets-in-syria-too

Of all the countries doing so, I kinda feel like Iraq has the best justification.

Staggerwing

Kind of like Pershing going after Panch Villa?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Missile fire over Damascus  (click to enlarge)

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"