TWILIGHT STRUGGLE (closed beta) activating soon on Steam

Started by JasonPratt, September 24, 2015, 11:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on September 25, 2015, 05:17:20 AM
Gots me, the VASSAL module works great multiplayer, it even automates a bunch of the activities for you and it's free.  Plus you can put a lot of smack-talk in you chat log.  It's *that* back and forth that makes TT games enjoyable and as I mentioned, you just lose that with PC games unless you headset up.

I could be wrong, but the new computer version will probably not require the player to actually own a copy of the board game.  While VASSAL does in theory.  Of course I'm sure some naughty folks play the VASSAL module without owning a copy...but that is another matter.  And if the new version has a decent AI...well that's a plus.

But I agree, the game does not do much for me solitaire, but face to face...its great.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Steam issues were resolved; closed beta keys are being emailed out over the next few days.

I honestly don't recall now what the hell package I bought...  :'( I think it was (only) the PC digital, but...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ubercat

I received, and registered, my Steam beta key.

I fired it up and submitted my new player account registration info. My account creation has been "pending" for about 10 minutes, now. I hope it isn't frozen up and I'm just in a queue of new players.  ???
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Got my key as well....looks like only multi player right now, was hoping to play single player...

BBMIKE, did you buy during kickstarter?  If so, then you would be sent the beta key via email.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ubercat on October 02, 2015, 06:18:05 PM
I received, and registered, my Steam beta key.

I fired it up and submitted my new player account registration info. My account creation has been "pending" for about 10 minutes, now. I hope it isn't frozen up and I'm just in a queue of new players.  ???

That screen never seems to go away...however, in the background you'll receive an email where you have to verify your account.  Once you do that, just cancel out of the pending screen and then login with your account.  That worked for me.

bbmike

Ah, no on the Kickstarter. I thought this had been released on Steam.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Ubercat

Damn Gmail with its splitting up Emails into categories! No wonder I couldn't see the confirmation Email!

Well, I'm playing now.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Ubercat

Quote from: Ubercat on October 02, 2015, 07:30:13 PM
Damn Gmail with its splitting up Emails into categories! No wonder I couldn't see the confirmation Email!

Well, I'm playing now.

We got about halfway through turn 1 and my opponent stopped doing anything. After more than a half hour I was informed by the game that he'd conceded. I don't know whether to wish that it was just a bug that he couldn't get past or that he was a thoughtless A-hole!

Interestingly, I couldn't find any functionality to communicate in game. I couldn't even say hi.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

jomni



JasonPratt

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 02, 2015, 12:46:35 PM
Steam issues were resolved; closed beta keys are being emailed out over the next few days.

Quote from: bbmike on October 02, 2015, 06:35:20 PM
Ah, no on the Kickstarter. I thought this had been released on Steam.

Yes, and no. Yes, activated now on Steam, after some trouble getting the game properly uploaded and set up on Steam servers. No, the activation is only for a closed beta right now.

The original email had been unclear about what exactly was activating on Steam. The email alert I got... yesterday? Thursday? ...and posted, was clear that the activation was closed beta -- which I clarified at the time.

It now occurs to me I should have fixed the thread title once matters became clearer. Very sorry, will promptly do so now.  :-[
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Cyrano

I"m in and up as Cyrano, but am not of a mind to play against those I don't know.

Anyone here about up for a game, just let me know?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Ubercat

I'm Ubercat on the server.

I'm not sure what all the variable game settings do. Forex, is the timing one a deadline for each player to submit their latest turn? It appears that you can invite a specific player to a game. In that case, go ahead and invite me. I'm about to go to work or I'd start one myself. I'd suggest the time to be 3 days to be safe. I'll look tonight when I get home, and should be good for several turns a day at least.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Cyrano

OK, they're in BETA, I get that, but, apparently, you can't set up a game and leave it setup for someone to choose it later even if it's a friend invitation?

That's something that needs fixing.

Also, once I cancelled my first attempt to create a game with Ubercat, it would no longer let me drag Ubercat to the invite box...

As I say, they're in BETA...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806