Seven Years War: Releases End of October

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 24, 2015, 09:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

sandman2575

I bought it but have only made a couple of attempts to play a campaign. It looks like K. is making some good strides toward making the strategic level / economy a little less confusing. 

Looking forward to Swatter's review.

JasonPratt

Bought it a while back; actually looked around in it a little a weekend or two ago, and toyed with starting an Absolute Newbie AAR campaign (as Prussia, because I'm suicidal like that). Decided I wanted to do the Fortresscraft AAR more, which I had been working toward already.

I haven't given up starting a Prussian (or other) campaign, but I'm waiting for the patching to slow down somewhat. I'm glad to support the game, but I consider it a pre-order -- some games I'm willing to pay to be a beta tester, and others I'm not.

(And I echo previous praise for the developer. :) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Swatter

I am slowly starting to figure out the economic part of the game and I have a very important tip for the developer: Everything needs tool tips! Whenever your mouse hovers over some sort of graphical icon, you need a tip that says what it does or what it represents. The UI is really not up to the task of supporting this fairly involved game and will inhibit people actually trying to play. Tons of tool tips will help. I don't think I like the help icon tool tips you implemented. Why not just have the standard hover-over tool tips?

I will credit the developer, the economy part is pretty good. Its a lot like Victoria. The military gameplay seems a lot like Empire: Total War, but much more realistic and detailed. I haven't gotten far enough to judge the AI as far as conducting war. I am feeling better about the game the more I play, but the UI is an obstacle to learning.


Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2016, 08:35:23 PM
Support his efforts with your wallet. He deserves it.

I plan to, after seeing the continued efforts. 

It's moved up fairly high on my wishlist but my game purchasing, and playing my current backlog, has dropped quite a bit recently.  :-\  I suppose it's a good thing for us consumers, having too many PC games to play, but the market must be pretty damn tight these days. 

magnus

This is an excellent game.

When he has fine tuned the game to there he wants it. I only hope that he then adds in a War of the Austrian succession,The great Northern war or The War of the Spanish succession or perhaps all three  O0

Hofstadter

Will make a psuedo economy tutorial within the next few days. The blue tips are really helpful, but they may need a little context into their direct cause and effect. Especially the different types of trade from the city screen.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Asid

Battle Pack DLC announced!
13 March


This should include:

- 6 additional historical battles
- custom made battles.

The DLC is scheduled for Q3. To vote for your favorite historical battle visit the following thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/400470/discussions/0/412449508285925363/   
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Update to version 1.102
13 March

Game enhancements:
- added scaleable windows (options menu), should be used if borders are cut off
- divisions in battle can now switched through in the hierarchy overview
- added information about necessary building and technology for activating recruiting of higher units (lmc on technology symbol next to unit jumps to the relevant tech category)
- added information about necessary technology for upgrading buildings (move mouse over disabled upgrade button)
- added building chain mouse over information (move mouse over top left corner of the building picture -> you will see the complete building chain)

Game balance:
- AI forms lines more properly in campaign battles

Fixed bugs:
- changed menu title "Reinforcements" to "News" for battle event information
- fixed wrong brigade and division reference when clicking on flags
- removed blue mouseover tooltips information buttons when recruiting menu is opened due to overlay
- fixed wrong bridge rotations on the battlefield
- removed possibility for foreign traders (& fleets) to pick up goods when returning to home city despite one sided trade treaty
- tech "improved loading ramp" now leads to medium supply depot (instead of small supply depot)

Layout:
- hiding windows mouse cursor when game is shown in windowed mode
- removed black borders around the campaign unit sprites
- improved water quality in campaign mode

Others:
- reenabled fullscreen mode although I recommend using windowed mode (if you have troubles setting fullscreen mode with steam overlay try to start the game directly from the game folder, steam is already working on this issue)
- polished German version of the game - many thanks to Michael Höhndorf!

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Hofstadter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1j96FJv3h8&feature=youtu.be

I made a tutorial. It sucks on a magnificent level.

Maybe you could pull an iota of wisdom from this pile of garbage
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Sir Slash

Thanks for the video Hof. I had no idea this game was so deep.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

keppelmueller

well done hofstadter!  O0
don't think it sucks...

JasonPratt



Hof's economy discussion for the game, recoded for convenience. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Out of date by now, but for comparison here is Oliver's (the dev's) own economic tutorial from late January this year.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Asid

Update to version 1.103
26 March


Game enhancements:
- polished battle statistics menu including best regiment and regiment with highest casualties
- adding side information if treasury is empty
- adding side information if allied meeting point is set and troops are within

Game balance:
- AI divisions now combine strength more often against enemy armies
- AI positions more garrison units in towns
- every city now has garrison quarters and one placed garrison unit from the start on
- reduced received/payed diplomacy points for prisoners exchanges

Fixed bugs:
- fixed memory access violation crashes in battles -> if you experience further crashes: right click on thesevenyearswar.exe and choose compatibility mode: start as administrator
- artillery units now not starting in line formation but limbered up
- fixed crashes when opening options menu in game
- fixed occasional drop to main menu during campaign game
- fixed not playing sound when ordering fife and drum music
- melee buttons now automatically deactivated at the start of each battle
- fixed additional attached unit when selecting brigades in battle

Layout:
- now auto scaling menus if resolution is smaller than 16:9 aspect ratio
- added more characters in battle unit hierarchy for brigades to see the brigade number
- production information of the building paths now is shown completely within the box

Others:
- added French and Spanish version of blue mouse over tooltips
- empty forts which are located on own terrain can now be chosen (to upgrade etc.)
- updated manual to version 1.103

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

bobarossa

The website mentioned "other platforms" to come.  Any idea if there will be a GOG version?