Main Menu

Diablo 3

Started by Bison, May 15, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Well.. using an e-mail as the login already gives hackers half of what they need. 

Since most webmail has been increasingly selling targeted (aka mail spied) advertising, the account hackers & phishers have found a new avenue of approach because they're some of the ones buying up mail account names that mentioned, for example, "blizzard" in some of their emails.  As you can imagine, they'll spam it with phishing emails related to the account, and in cases like this where the login name is your email name - they just do their best to hack passwords.  The easier, the faster.

LongBlade

I find it charmingly retro that we have to play an 8 GB game online instead of our hard drives.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

That's why you get the account authenticator.  Account hacking is unfortunately common in MMOs and frankly any activity done online.  Protect your accounts as best as you can and be vigilant especially if there is a financial account associated.

Huw the Poo

I've been reading this morning that it's a man-in-the-middle attack that steals a valid session ID, so an authenticator isn't enough in this case unfortunately.  Apparently the advice right now is to steer clear of Diablo wikis (and other fansites) and don't play with people you don't know.

Bison

You have a link?  I'd be interested to read about this.

Huw the Poo

Last night's RPS article is a good place to start, with plenty of links therein.

son_of_montfort

Blizzard maintains that none of the accounts hacked had an Authenticator attached to them. If you have a smart phone, you can get the Authenticator app for free. Otherwise, I believe you can get a keychain Authenticator for something around ~$7. To me, particularly if you also play WoW, it was worth it. The method RPS suggests of a "man-in-the-middle" attack has not been confirmed, so the easiest thing to do right now is attach an authenticator and hope for the best.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

I looked at the Authenticator on Android. It's free, but folks are claiming it's slow. The latest version isn't always on, which means it doesn't suck data like before, but since I'm only gaming solo and will likely only game multiplayer with you guys, I'm not too worried about my account being stolen.

I just finished Act I. That boss level was tough - had to play four of rive times to get through it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Is the MP component supposed to be like Gauntlet? Because that would rock.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Multiplayer is fun.  Harder monsters and better lootz.  As an added bonus, you can laugh at your friends when they die and blame them when you die!  It's a win -win.  What's not to like?

Gusington

^I'm with you and ready. How many people can be in one MP party?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Yeah.  Only with better graphics and without someone whinging "Valkyrie is about to die!  Valkyrie needs food badly!" all the time. 

Gusington

I have found that I can only really play for about an hour a time and then my wrist starts to get sore. Shows how long it has been since the last Diablo. I was 25 when that came out and could have played for hours. Not so much now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd