Armored Warfare open beta........

Started by AchillesLastStand, September 30, 2015, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

I'll add you to my list next time I'm in, MengJiao.

It's pretty fast-paced and very deadly.  Gotta use cover as much as possible.  The matches take almost no time to get into and don't last terribly long.

They've managed to make the Magic Cap Circles not matter so much, and encourage killing the enemy team.  They should still be there for those cases where the last person on the enemy team just keeps running, wasting everyone's time & prolonging his inevitable death.  It's great for forcing a fight when there's some kind of stalemate, and that's how it should be.  I rarely see matches won by people sitting in a cap zone.  O0

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 18, 2015, 04:27:38 PM
I'll add you to my list next time I'm in, MengJiao.

It's pretty fast-paced and very deadly.  Gotta use cover as much as possible.  The matches take almost no time to get into and don't last terribly long.

They've managed to make the Magic Cap Circles not matter so much, and encourage killing the enemy team.  They should still be there for those cases where the last person on the enemy team just keeps running, wasting everyone's time & prolonging his inevitable death.  It's great for forcing a fight when there's some kind of stalemate, and that's how it should be.  I rarely see matches won by people sitting in a cap zone.  O0

  I've only played in PvE so far, but I like the overall feel of the game and the huge number of options.  It also feels like your choices have a major impact on your fate -- you'd think most tactical games would seem like that, but the last few I've been in -- it felt like there was not much I could really do (Heros and Generals and Insurgency most recently) to change what was going to happen to me.    The maps in AW seem like a good size for fast battles where you find out whether you went the right way pretty fast and you can get a feel pretty quickly for what is going on.

Windigo

MJ,

you will find that Medium difficulty missions require a more conservative playing style to be sucessfull at.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Nefaro

Admittedly, I've only played one PvE match. 

This type of game, like FPSes, is all about multi-player for me. 

I realize that some people spend the extra time to grind out some of their upgrades in PvE, after they unlock a new vehicle.  Something I've avoided thus far, so I have little knowledge of PvE co-op.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 19, 2015, 11:37:54 PM
Admittedly, I've only played one PvE match. 

This type of game, like FPSes, is all about multi-player for me. 

I realize that some people spend the extra time to grind out some of their upgrades in PvE, after they unlock a new vehicle.  Something I've avoided thus far, so I have little knowledge of PvE co-op.

   I'm enjoying PvE.  For a while I buzzed around in AFVs and TDs.  Last night I just puttered around in the ("bonus") t-62 vet gathering upgrades.  I have the (now somewht trained) recon commander and special sighting gear so I can see pretty far for a MBT, though I'm lucky to get even one kill when I'm in missions with higher tier and much faster vehicles -- which happens a lot.  I guess I'll go try a PvP battle tonight.

Windigo

They are fun. You'll love the more complex environments and the LOS rules work as advertised.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Nefaro

#51
PvP battles can be brutal.  You gotta be extra careful when you're spotted.  Get acquainted with your vehicle's gun depression and/or missile launcher idiosyncrasies to stay as hull-down as possible when peering over terrain for the enemy. 

With instant team spotting in these games, you tend to get focus fired shortly after being spotted so don't sit there for long.  Play Peek-A-Boom until you sense the opportunity to push a flank that's crumbled.

EDIT:  However, the rewards for PvP matches are larger and the battles are shorter so you end up playing more.



They just released a huge update, adding a bunch of stuff.

Patch notes here.


Nefaro

Wow..

Just read the patch notes.

These guys aren't fookeen around.  I'm surprised at how much they've fixed & adjusted already, along with adding new goodies.



Looks like a good time to resume playing my British & German MBTs now that they've had some armor issues (& gun issue with Challenger 1) fixed.   8)

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2015, 11:45:42 AM
Wow..

Just read the patch notes.

These guys aren't fookeen around.  I'm surprised at how much they've fixed & adjusted already, along with adding new goodies.



Looks like a good time to resume playing my British & German MBTs now that they've had some armor issues (& gun issue with Challenger 1) fixed.   8)

A lot of work on PvE too!  (bot spawning, no more friendly damage)

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 20, 2015, 02:57:28 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2015, 11:45:42 AM
Wow..

Just read the patch notes.

These guys aren't fookeen around.  I'm surprised at how much they've fixed & adjusted already, along with adding new goodies.



Looks like a good time to resume playing my British & German MBTs now that they've had some armor issues (& gun issue with Challenger 1) fixed.   8)

A lot of work on PvE too!  (bot spawning, no more friendly damage)

But I think except for some work occasionally on new vehicles, I'll mostly be playing in PvP -- which is great fun!  I'm pretty bad at it and have only been in low tier tanks (the M-41 and the T-62 vet are the biggest things I've been in in PvP), but it is still amazingly fun.  I like how the balancing works etc.

Nefaro

#55
Quote from: MengJiao on November 21, 2015, 07:56:10 AM

But I think except for some work occasionally on new vehicles, I'll mostly be playing in PvP -- which is great fun!  I'm pretty bad at it and have only been in low tier tanks (the M-41 and the T-62 vet are the biggest things I've been in in PvP), but it is still amazingly fun.  I like how the balancing works etc.

I'm also all about the PvP even though I'm not as good at it as World of Warships and Steel Ocean. 

The roles start opening up more, in PvP, at Tier 3 and higher.  After seeing some gameplay in Tier 6, it seems to become even more specialized in higher tiers depending on what type you're in.

The monetization is the best there is for this type of game, and the xp/credit "grind" is balanced enough that it hasn't annoyed me. 

My biggest complaint, at the moment, is the need for more maps.  There are a couple I don't like and there aren't many more than that.  Five... maybe six PvP maps total IIRC?  Hope they add some sooner rather than later.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2015, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 21, 2015, 07:56:10 AM

But I think except for some work occasionally on new vehicles, I'll mostly be playing in PvP -- which is great fun!  I'm pretty bad at it and have only been in low tier tanks (the M-41 and the T-62 vet are the biggest things I've been in in PvP), but it is still amazingly fun.  I like how the balancing works etc.

I'm also all about the PvP even though I'm not as good at it as World of Warships and Steel Ocean. 

The roles start opening up more, in PvP, at Tier 3 and higher.  After seeing some gameplay in Tier 6, it seems to become even more specialized in higher tiers depending on what type you're in.

The monetization is the best there is for this type of game, and the xp/credit "grind" is balanced enough that it hasn't annoyed me. 

My biggest complaint, at the moment, is the need for more maps.  There are a couple I don't like and there aren't many more than that.  Five... maybe six PvP maps total IIRC?  Hope they add some sooner rather than later.

  I'm only now starting to recognized some of the maps in PvP -- but there aren't that many and more would be better.

eyebiter


jomni

Started playing. Does Pvp really take too long to join. My experience is 3 to 4 mins

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on December 19, 2015, 05:25:20 PM
Started playing. Does Pvp really take too long to join. My experience is 3 to 4 mins

That's on the long side. 

Probably just happened in the first couple tiers, though, because people level out of those extremely fast.  Once you reach around Tier 3 or 4 it will normalize.