15 Hours Until 7 Years War!

Started by Jarhead0331, October 29, 2015, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

Thank you, Grim.Reaper - your impressions were enough to get me off the fence, although not in the direction the developer would prefer.

W8taminute

Allow me to add my feedback now that I have a little over 2 hours of game play under my belt.



  • Fonts are too small on every window popup, tooltip, menu, etc.
  • Need to have the various icons explained either in tooltips or written manual.  Preferably written manual or guide.
  • The concept of converting raw materials into finished goods have been explained in tutorial videos but only at a very high level overview.  Specific work instructions for executing this concept are needed.
  • Goods inventory in city view.  Detailed explanation needed.  What do the red and green colored pips signify?  When a demand for a good is negative does that mean the city is consuming negative one lumber or does it mean minus one lumber from the city stockpile?
  • Navies and armies.  How do you supply them?  Detailed explanation required.  I have fleets that have zero supply yet when I move them to the harbor they are not resupplied.  Even when I click on the 'set supply harbor' button.  Same issue for land forces.

There definitely is a great game here but it cannot be played in it's current state not because of technical performance issues but due to a lack of detailed procedural explanations.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

sandman2575

Quote from: W8taminute on November 01, 2015, 06:54:41 PM
  • Fonts are too small on every window popup, tooltip, menu, etc.


This is a deal breaker for me. Really hope this gets fixed.

markh

Quote from: keppelmueller on November 01, 2015, 02:53:18 AM
hi folks, may i introduce myself, i am oliver, the developer of this game.

here is my youtube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbPafvWljII1U6CrAVk4YoX_kRcZsw9RQ
(don't mind about the older videos, graphics have been enhanced since then)

if you take a look to the tutorials you may get a sense of the game depth:
www.thesevenyearswar.com/tutorials.htm

and don't mind about rts - you can always pause the game and give orders. but rts gives a lot of nice features, like cutting enemy supply lines with faster detachments  O0

Hi Oliver

Thanks for joining the discussion.  I have purchased the game and, at first sight, I am impressed with what appears to be the detail and complexity.  However, neither the tutorial nor the videos are adequate in terms of providing me a clear, concise or effective understanding of game play.  I hope that you either produce more detailed video/audio tutorials or provide a copy of this game to one of the many gamer reviewers who produce "Let's Play ..." type videos so that a comprehensible video/audio tutorial can be produced.  I have great hopes for the game, and thank you for doing the production.  However, I am a busy professional who gets 2-3 hours on a weekend to indulge my computer game hobby - not enough time to 'stumble' through the gaming process using your current web tutorial and video tutorial.

Best wishes and hope that this is successful for you.


SirAndrewD

Really interested in this.  Love the period, love the detail that seems to be offered. 

But, yeah, holding back.  Looks like a game that might have to grow into its skin.  I really hope the devs keep up the good work and push this to something that we grogs can get behind.

Get a real sense here of Paradox meets Total War.  I really want to get this.  When its issues are ironed out I will.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I'm glad the developer popped into our forum, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we hear from him again. His activity in the steam forum is minimal and there are a number of threads asking questions that have gone without a response. A little unusual for a niche indie title.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Ian C

#51
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 02, 2015, 06:47:10 AM
I'm glad the developer popped into our forum, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we hear from him again. His activity in the steam forum is minimal and there are a number of threads asking questions that have gone without a response. A little unusual for a niche indie title.

Maybe he's fixing things.

One more interested. I really like what I see. If I weren't reading about the tiny font and lack of tutorials I'd be in.

Oliver, my advice to you would be first, to enlarge fonts and menus. Then, spend time on tutorials. You will then have more customers.
Good luck!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ian C on November 02, 2015, 06:48:31 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 02, 2015, 06:47:10 AM
I'm glad the developer popped into our forum, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we hear from him again. His activity in the steam forum is minimal and there are a number of threads asking questions that have gone without a response. A little unusual for a niche indie title.

Maybe he's fixing things.

Is that a statement, or a question?

I'm not criticizing, yet, only commenting...but I wouldn't be making excuses either.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Philippe

He may not be all that comfortable writing in English, and if it's a really small team, he probably has a lot of fires to put out right now (il a d'autres chats a fouetter).  I don't own the game yet but hope to get it after it grows into its skin.  When I look at this production I am reminded a bit of Histwar.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 02, 2015, 07:00:29 AM
Quote from: Ian C on November 02, 2015, 06:48:31 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 02, 2015, 06:47:10 AM
I'm glad the developer popped into our forum, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we hear from him again. His activity in the steam forum is minimal and there are a number of threads asking questions that have gone without a response. A little unusual for a niche indie title.

Maybe he's fixing things.

Is that a statement, or a question?

I'm not criticizing, yet, only commenting...but I wouldn't be making excuses either.

What I mean is - maybe he's literally still working on the game. If he's a one-man team and he's released the game and put out updates within days of release he must be working his ass off and doesn't have time to be everywhere at once. He doesn't sound like a shirker, so maybe his no-show on the STEAM forums is a genuine shortfalling and not an omen of dev neglect. Time will tell, I guess.


Jarhead0331

He definitely can't be accused of being a shirker. Heck, he posted his intro here four times! Three in one thread alone! :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


ArizonaTank

+1  game has some great ideas and concepts.  Just needs more polishing to be playable.  Biggest issue is the almost unreadable UI.  If the dev puts in some more work, this has the potential to be a great game.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Swatter

What really matters is the AI, but nobody has got far enough into the game to know.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Swatter on November 02, 2015, 10:42:19 PM
What really matters is the AI, but nobody has got far enough into the game to know.

+1
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

amandachen

Might try this when it's out of early access. Amirite?