15 Hours Until 7 Years War!

Started by Jarhead0331, October 29, 2015, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

My question then would be: what bug or "thing" needs to be fixed that causes you to wait? I've seen a ton of updates. I don't have it but I also am curious if anyone is right now?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Hofstadter

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 27, 2016, 04:42:05 PM
Anyone here playing this at the moment?  Am curious about the state of the game. (I'm still of the mind that Keppelmueller would've been better served by releasing this as "Early Access," but regardless).

How polished is the game at this point?  (A) "Very playable"? (B) "Incremental improvements but still needs work"? (C) "Promising but more buggy than not"?

Them's yer choices. Or come up with an option (D) if you prefer. Anyway, just would love to hear from anyone who's gotten hooked on this and is enjoying it.

I would get this game for the battles, those are really well done. The campaign needs a proper tutorial/flow diagram for the economics. Theres no real explanation for the different types of trade
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

sandman2575

Quote from: Hofstadter on January 27, 2016, 06:21:10 PM
I would get this game for the battles, those are really well done. The campaign needs a proper tutorial/flow diagram for the economics. Theres no real explanation for the different types of trade

That's what keeps me from picking this up, honestly -- the lack of a good Let's Play or in-depth tutorial -- everything on YouTube seems either outdated, too rudimentary, or not in English (...I could scrape by in German, but I'd prefer English  8)). The manual looks a little too bare-bones to be very useful.

The economics in particular sounds quite complex and not intuitive, from everything I've read. Hence the reason I'm looking for some reliable info./tutorial to help smooth out the steep learning curve before I commit.

Hofstadter

I want to do a campaign video series, I tried to do it but it looked kinda bad having to watch myself. Click on things going, i dont know this i dont know that.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

keppelmueller

hi folks, thx for your feedback - will try to add a short video tutorial about economics the next two weeks. and don't mind hofstadter, there will be enough left for the campaign to cover  ;D
thx for your work so far!

Father Ted

Quote from: mikeck on January 27, 2016, 06:02:41 PM
My question then would be: what bug or "thing" needs to be fixed that causes you to wait? I've seen a ton of updates. I don't have it but I also am curious if anyone is right now?

I'm not waiting for anything specific to be fixed.  I've found in this era of early access games that I can be put off a game by a bad early experience, so I'm just giving this a chance to be all it can be before I try it.

mikeck

Quote from: keppelmueller on January 28, 2016, 12:31:24 AM
hi folks, thx for your feedback - will try to add a short video tutorial about economics the next two weeks. and don't mind hofstadter, there will be enough left for the campaign to cover  ;D
thx for your work so far!

Remember, no one ever complained or DIDNT buy a game because there were too many tutorials or the manual was too comprehensive
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

Quote from: Father Ted on January 28, 2016, 11:29:14 AM
I'm not waiting for anything specific to be fixed.  I've found in this era of early access games that I can be put off a game by a bad early experience, so I'm just giving this a chance to be all it can be before I try it.

I'm of a similar mind. I haven't picked up 7 Years War yet, not because of the price (which is very reasonable), but because I don't want to have a bad first impression and then consign the game to Steam library oblivion.

The reports about the game's difficulty (steep learning curve, limited documentation / instruction on how to play) and problems with the UI (buttons / icons / text being too small -- the last is a killer for me) make me anxious to dive into this. Still, no one can claim that Keppellmueller isn't doing a ton of work to fix these issues -- his attention to the user community and willingness to fix things fast is truly commendable  O0

keppelmueller

Hi there,

have done a short video about the economy in The Seven Years War (1756-1763).



ps.: further ui improvements under way...

sandman2575

Very nice! And nice to hear the creator discuss his own game   O0

Helps to have an overview, although I must admit the economy still sounds a bit daunting! Love that you've created a deep system, though. I suspect it will take some hands-on trial and error to really get a grasp on it.

Amazed once again that 7 Years War was a one-man effort.


Asid

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 29, 2016, 03:31:18 PM
Amazed once again that 7 Years War was a one-man effort.
+1

Also that it's at a great price  O0
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Swatter

Let me say first, kudos to Oliver! It is amazing this is a one man project. You are a driven individual to see this through to completion.

I have a few areas that I would appreciate it if you could address, Oliver. First, I have not yet purchased the game. The reason for this is my experience with Empire: Total War. It may be unfair to judge your game based on that, but the two games share many similarities. The thing I am afraid of is the AI, particularly the AI that handles the strategic map decisions. Your game looks very involved and I don't want to invest the time necessary to learn the game just to find out the AI is brain dead on the world map. I could care less about the purchase price. I am worried about my time investment. I am waiting patiently for more feedback from my fellow grogs, but I would imagine they are also holding back for similar reasons. I really want to know if the AI for Great Britain or France can properly conduct overseas wars and continental wars for that matter. In E:TW, the AI simply wouldn't defend its colonies and could easily get steamrolled.

Boggit

Quote from: keppelmueller on January 29, 2016, 02:37:08 PM
Hi there,

have done a short video about the economy in The Seven Years War (1756-1763).



ps.: further ui improvements under way...
I've had a brief look at the battles, and agree with Keppelmueller on improving the UI. I find a lot of it too tiny to easily read. Please make the UI larger to make things easier to read. Some remodelling of the unit blocks to make them more distinctive as cavalry/infantry (larger?) would also be a big improvement. It's a very ambitious project, and the campaign I suspect is great when you get into it, but the UI does need more work to improve user friendliness.

To be fair your update schedule shows a lot of commitment to getting the game right already, which gives me hope that when you are finished it will be a polished gem of a game. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

keppelmueller

hi boggit, improvement of battle ui should go live in feb, unit sprites in march! greets

keppelmueller

Update 1.096 is out including first update of battle GUI and intelligent fire radius: