Main Menu

WW2-Pacific Theater

Started by Rayfer, November 06, 2015, 09:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boggit

Just wondering if the patch fixes the spawning issue where loading your game can result in dozens of enemy ships spawning at places you'd previously flattened them.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Pete Dero

Quote from: Boggit on November 07, 2015, 07:20:12 PM
I have this game on DVD. Will the patch work on the disk version, or is it only Steam compatible?

I have the Gamersgate version and the patch installed fine so i guess it should work with all versions.

bbmike

Quote from: Johnnie on November 08, 2015, 12:29:23 AM
Rayfer:  You must try War Plan Pacific by Shrapnel.  It's playable;  you can complete the entire war in an evening,  a long evening.  There are a few separate strategies available to the Japanese (I play the Japanese side as I consider it more interesting.)  The games play out quite historically.  It is area (not hex) based.  It looks like the AH game (Victory in the Pacific?)  The combat is played out, more or less, like Carriers at War.

Aside from being playable and surprisingly historically accurate, it is really a lot of fun.  It has been the  hard drive of my last three pc's and I don't upgrade often.

Oh, I'm 64 also.  Every time I think of it I sing the Beatles tune in my head.  It was the Beatles right;  it's so hard to remember.

Hmm, now you've made me want to go look War Plan again.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Rayfer

Quote from: Johnnie on November 08, 2015, 12:29:23 AM
Rayfer:  You must try War Plan Pacific by Shrapnel.  It's playable;  you can complete the entire war in an evening,  a long evening.  There are a few separate strategies available to the Japanese (I play the Japanese side as I consider it more interesting.)  The games play out quite historically.  It is area (not hex) based.  It looks like the AH game (Victory in the Pacific?)  The combat is played out, more or less, like Carriers at War.

Aside from being playable and surprisingly historically accurate, it is really a lot of fun.  It has been the  hard drive of my last three pc's and I don't upgrade often.

Oh, I'm 64 also.  Every time I think of it I sing the Beatles tune in my head.  It was the Beatles right;  it's so hard to remember.

LOL....love it there are old-timers around here like myself...."when I'm sixty-four"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzaOZfgf0M   I found the demo and intend to download and check it out on Monday.  Thanks for the reply.

Tuna

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 07, 2015, 05:41:34 PM
The idea that Pac. Storm is playable and actively being supported by a dedicated community was too much for me to resist.  Purchased and am downloading the community 1.7 patch now.  8)

So is it not updated from Steam? I fired it up last night, to try the tutorial. Screen Resolution seemed limited, it didn't seem to recognize my Joystick. Didn't look like anything 'changed'?

W8taminute

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 07, 2015, 10:55:52 AM
W8aminute -- I'm very intrigued by what you say about Pacific Storm -- a game I always looked at as having amazing potential but thought was left for dead by the devs. You recommend picking it up then? I've seen it on sale so many times for practically 'giving it away' prices, but always held off b/c of all the reports that the game was terminally unplayable.  But if you think it's playable I will definitely jump in!

(+1 to praise for Battlestations: Pacific and Battlestations: Midway -- both are very fun games, but definitely video games. Still, there are hours of solid Pacific theatre entertainment to be gotten out of them.)

Yes I enjoyed the game much better after a member of the community issued that 1.7 patch.  The game runs stable now on my Win8 machine.  The only problem I still have with this game though is if you lose three bases in the campaign then you automatically lose the war. 

The concept that makes me like this title is managing your nations inventory of hardware and assigning items to squadrons, ship divisions, and transport duties.  Managing how your raw materials are brought back to your nation so that you can construct ships and planes is fun.  Just be careful not to lose more than two bases and you should be ok.  If the game is on sale for under 10 then I would say get it.  It's worth about 10 hours of fun imho.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

Quote from: Tuna on November 08, 2015, 09:34:19 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on November 07, 2015, 05:41:34 PM
The idea that Pac. Storm is playable and actively being supported by a dedicated community was too much for me to resist.  Purchased and am downloading the community 1.7 patch now.  8)

So is it not updated from Steam? I fired it up last night, to try the tutorial. Screen Resolution seemed limited, it didn't seem to recognize my Joystick. Didn't look like anything 'changed'?

I think you have to manually apply the patch directly into your Steam apps directly for the game.  I got the game to recognize my joystick.  Make sure before you fire up the game your joystick is already connected.  Seems to make it easier for the game to recognize it.  I'm using a PC version of the xbox controller.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

#22
Quote from: Tuna on November 08, 2015, 09:34:19 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on November 07, 2015, 05:41:34 PM
The idea that Pac. Storm is playable and actively being supported by a dedicated community was too much for me to resist.  Purchased and am downloading the community 1.7 patch now.  8)

So is it not updated from Steam? I fired it up last night, to try the tutorial. Screen Resolution seemed limited, it didn't seem to recognize my Joystick. Didn't look like anything 'changed'?

You need to download the community patch ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/tzc4q5bvoooc35h/PSA_1.7.1.zip ) and install it manually : http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PacifcStormGamers/discussions/1/613938575218163622/

Tuna

The game recognized the Joystick before.. just didn't work.. I see online. .maybe I have to hit J key..

I downloaded the patch and my Hulls disappeared :-(.


sandman2575

Having a weird time with this. Applied the 1.7 and 1.71 patches. Everything works fine. But when I try to start a campaign as USA (or Great Britain), the game always launches the Japan campaign. It's bizarre -- I have no idea what could be causing this.   Is this a known problem? Haven't found any info  about it on the Steam PSA group forum (where the 1.7 patch is hosted)...

Pete Dero

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 08, 2015, 04:26:19 PM
Having a weird time with this. Applied the 1.7 and 1.71 patches. Everything works fine. But when I try to start a campaign as USA (or Great Britain), the game always launches the Japan campaign. It's bizarre -- I have no idea what could be causing this.   Is this a known problem? Haven't found any info  about it on the Steam PSA group forum (where the 1.7 patch is hosted)...

I don't have this issue.  Is the patch installed ok ?  You should see 1.7.10000 in the right top corner.


sandman2575

#26
Yup, have the 1.7.10000 showing up.

Really strange. I would have thought that if it were a corrupt install, I'd should get a CTD or something. But just tried it again. Selected USA for campaign, and it loads up the Japan campaign. Very frustrating.

Probably have to start over from scratch with a fresh install. Wondering if it's actually worth it -- PSA is graphically a lot more primitive than I thought it would be. I was expecting something closer to the graphics level of Battlestations: Midway, but it's nowhere close.  Still, I'm very intrigued by the campaign and don't want to give up on this just yet.

EDIT -- I wonder if I just didn't apply the 1.71 hotfix correctly -- I copied it over the main game directory, but maybe I was supposed to copy it over the PSA directory in the mod folder...

sandman2575

Quote from: W8taminute on November 08, 2015, 01:01:43 PM
The only problem I still have with this game though is if you lose three bases in the campaign then you automatically lose the war. 



Wait, what?  Does that mean if, playing USA, you lose the 3 bases in the Philippines, it's Game Over?  (Please tell me that's not the case -- that's beyond idiotic.)

W8taminute

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 08, 2015, 07:51:15 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 08, 2015, 01:01:43 PM
The only problem I still have with this game though is if you lose three bases in the campaign then you automatically lose the war. 



Wait, what?  Does that mean if, playing USA, you lose the 3 bases in the Philippines, it's Game Over?  (Please tell me that's not the case -- that's beyond idiotic.)

Unfortunately it is true.  Lose three bases and it's campaign over.  :(
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 08, 2015, 04:26:19 PM
Having a weird time with this. Applied the 1.7 and 1.71 patches. Everything works fine. But when I try to start a campaign as USA (or Great Britain), the game always launches the Japan campaign. It's bizarre -- I have no idea what could be causing this.   Is this a known problem? Haven't found any info  about it on the Steam PSA group forum (where the 1.7 patch is hosted)...

Found this possible problem : there is a typo in folder name in the 1.7.1 zip file PSA 1.7.1\data\scipts instead of "scripts".
To make it work correctly, copy everything from scipts to scripts.  Hope this solves the problem.