Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Started by Philippe, November 17, 2015, 11:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Quote from: mikeck on December 13, 2015, 09:20:00 PM
Sorry for the wall-o-text but so rarely am i this impressed with a game...and a WW2 game no less!

Don't be sorry. It's all correct.  O0

Queeg

Quote from: mikeck on December 13, 2015, 09:03:46 PM
But for whatever it's worth, this is the best strategy/operational war game I've ever played...not just WW2 game...I mean war game for any time period.

Agreed.  It's been a long time since I've played a game - of any kind - that was so sure of itself.  The guys who made this had a very clear idea of something really different that they wanted to do and weren't afraid to strip away the more traditional elements that would have made the game just more of the same old thing.  It's a truly impressive game design.     

JasonPratt

Quote from: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 09:17:31 PM
Umm... sorry for the delays...

It takes me about 1.5 hours to do the turns and take all the screen shots I need for the AAR. Then about 1.5 hours to write it all up and post it.

Really not a problem; I just figure it's hard to get a slot where you can feel pretty sure you won't be interrupted on the first half of that (since argh we elected not to be able to save midgame. LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES ALL YE WHO ARE CONSIDERING PBEM! Don't use the extra security unless you're dealing with a total stranger.)

Quote from: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 13, 2015, 09:20:00 PM
Sorry for the wall-o-text but so rarely am i this impressed with a game...and a WW2 game no less!

Don't be sorry. It's all correct.  O0

Also  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

panzerde

I'll join the parade of agreement with mikeck. This is probably the finest operational computer wargame I've ever played. I'm looking forward to seeing this engine used to put out some more really cool scenarios.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

Quote from: Queeg on December 13, 2015, 09:36:29 PM
The guys who made this had a very clear idea of something really different that they wanted to do and weren't afraid to strip away the more traditional elements that would have made the game just more of the same old thing.   

I think it's worth noting that the game, while large (because Barbarossa, duh), isn't all that large. Each front probably has fewer chits to shuffle around than, say, any mission of Unity of Command: Black Turn (which is also Barbarossa). And I'm saying that as the Soviet player! This isn't a game with 36 thousand tanks waiting for the Huns.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

I'll be pulling the trigger on this one soon.  It looks just too nice to pass up.

mikeck

Quote from: Bison on December 14, 2015, 08:30:24 PM
I'll be pulling the trigger on this one soon.  It looks just too nice to pass up.

It's a very well put together. I played GG western front for about 2 days because it was the same old game. This adds other dimensions that make it very unique
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Queeg

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 13, 2015, 11:09:05 PM

I think it's worth noting that the game, while large (because Barbarossa, duh), isn't all that large. Each front probably has fewer chits to shuffle around than, say, any mission of Unity of Command: Black Turn (which is also Barbarossa). And I'm saying that as the Soviet player! This isn't a game with 36 thousand tanks waiting for the Huns.

A refreshing respite from the traditional death by a thousand counters approach to war games. 

-budd-

Let me Sum up "this game is the SH*t" ;D
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Bison

Well that's the best game review I've read in a long, long time.  Thanks. Budd!

JasonPratt

Definitely worth full price, no question. Buy with confidence if you're interested in the topic at all.

I mean, sure, if you can get it on sale, duh. But to me it's worth the non-sale price.

That said, I wouldn't personally recommend going for the hard copy, at least on non-sale price. Having a backup on disc is something I'm always willing to pay an extra $10 for, but the hardback manual while large and shiny is really just bling.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Hot lead and dirty talk!

The hardcover manual is just chrome!!!!!! If you are playing currently as Stalin, shoot yourself for TREASON!!! :knuppel2:

It has been ages since I've seen such a fine manual. It brings back wonderful memories of; EA's Seal-team, Dynamix's Red Baron, LucasArts Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Sierra's Police Quest, Falcon series (never played, but always admired the manual). Ohhh the memories.

These manuals not only directed you play the game in a way that was realistic, they also gave you a history lesson. These manuals also inspired me to buy books that were based upon the real stories that the games were based on. It seems over the years that has been lost, at least that is the way I feel.

I think we should start a separate post on some of the best game manuals ever made.

Anyways keep up the posts on this game, the reviews here and at Matrix forums have me very excited about purchasing this game. On a side note, I have just purchased Osprey Publishing's- Operation Barbarossa 1941, 1-3 in order to get a better understanding of the battle I soon will partake in.

Have a Merry Christmas, armchair Warriors.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

Bison


JasonPratt

I didn't say the manual was just chrome. I said having it in hardback is just chrome ("while large and shiny is really just bling"). The digital game still has the manual on pdf, where by the way it's more searchable.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

to be fair, that's what he said  :D
Quote
The hardcover manual is just chrome!!!!!! If you are playing currently as Stalin, shoot yourself for TREASON!!! :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people