I am looking for a solitaire wargame

Started by DennisS, November 24, 2015, 08:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

OK..I just downloaded Aces of Valor, Beserker games solitaire game of World War 1 aerial combat.

Here are my initial impressions. Note that I have only printed out the manual, and reference sheet. The counters and other game materials will have to wait til tomorrow, when I can get to a high quality color printer, 100 pound card stock, and a laminating machine. Gotta love a wife that is an Art Department chair!

Rule book: Clear and concise. I read them through once, and the level of complexity seems just about right. I can see some house rules breing made up, to increase the historical accuracy, and to add an element of role playing here..but in general, I am very pleased at the layout and presentation of the rules.

Reference sheets: 5 pages, with an abbreviated sequence of play, and of the mechanics of air and ground targets.

One general note..the target generation and randomization of opponents, mission types, and locations is very well done. I can see very high replayability here.

I am quite pleased with my little $15 purchase. I have spend a hell of a lot more on a game, that doesn't appear to be anywhere near this good. I will follow up, over this next week (on vacation, yay!!) with a more solid AAR.

DennisS

A quick update on Aces of Valor, by Beserker Games.

All downloaded, printed, rules read, re-read, and re-written from 14 pages down to a single page.

All graphs, game aids and tables also placed onto a single page, for ease of use.

The original 10 aircraft that came with the game (ahistorical, in a big way) have been increased to the 43 aircraft in WWI with the highest number produced. A timeline for the campaign has been developed, with a percentage chance for upgrading your squadron, based on time, and frequency of production. Not many Gotha's were produced!!

I don't see any major revisions needed in the actual gameplay..which appears to be both well-considered, and passing the common sense test.

Now that I have invested perhaps 20 hours or so...I am close to actually start playing the game!

Barthheart

smittyohio

I didn't realize Conflict of Heroes had a solitaire system available until I saw this thread.   Watched a few videos about it, and couldn't resist.  I'm going to get the firefight generator probably also, once I've run through the scenarios in the solo system a few time.   Looks awesome!

TacticalWargames

Ostfront: squad scale, solo, Print and Play wargame has been released.

Looks interesting.

"The battle begins! 

Now available...
OSTFRONT is an eastern front battle simulator/generator that depicts tactical situations circa 1941. You are a German platoon leader who must outwit the Soviet AI as you and your squads push deeper and deeper into the Soviet Union.  The "game" consists of a highly detailed viewfinder that allows you to record in game information and ultimately frames the field of battle. Each scenario  presents a unique tactical puzzle that you must solve.  Succefully doing so translates into victory points which can be used to upgrade squad stats and accumulate awards. The linear progression of each campaign is threaded with a narrative of campaign plot points and random events.  Additionally, the idiosyncracies of your squads can be enhanced with individual squad characteristics. 

Not just a game...
Ostfront is much more than a subgroup of prearranged historical circumstances that you simply play through then toss on the shelf.  It is a tool kit that allows you to construct and fine tune your own scenarios such that essentially you can become the designer of your own game!

Disclaimer...
This fourth installment from H&S GAMES is unrelated to the Platoon Leader series and due to the level of detail is not recommended for the novice wargamer. "

http://hexesandsoldiers.wix.com/hsgames#!ostfront/cyqi

smittyohio

Received my Conflict of Heroes ATB + Solo expansion, ran through the solo rules, and have played the first scenario twice.   First time I kicked the AIs butt, but probably got a little lucky.   The 2nd game, I got slaughtered... captured the victory space after losing a unit, and then got wiped out completely.   So far, it's a helluva lot of fun with the solo expansion.   Best of all, it doesn't feel like I'm playing against a system, but against a fairly devious opponent (at least compared to my skill level).

chemkid

Atm, that academy games solo ai is my favorite opponent!
BTW, I finished blinging the OSTFRONT components, the game (solo, too) now looks worth a play through, IMHO!
Have fun!
chem!

Pinetree

I've been delving into Fields of Fire after viewing a few videos on it. You can play a "demo" by downloading the living rules from GMT and the Vassal modules for it. There's one each for WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. All I can say about it is, this game is incredible.  So much thought has gone into it to make it feel like you're an actual company commander. Needless to say, I've pre-ordered the upcoming 2nd Edition and I'm seriously considering pre-ordering volume 2 as well.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

smittyohio

Quote from: Pinetree on January 14, 2016, 06:05:53 PM
I've been delving into Fields of Fire after viewing a few videos on it. You can play a "demo" by downloading the living rules from GMT and the Vassal modules for it. There's one each for WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. All I can say about it is, this game is incredible.  So much thought has gone into it to make it feel like you're an actual company commander. Needless to say, I've pre-ordered the upcoming 2nd Edition and I'm seriously considering pre-ordering volume 2 as well.

I've been sorely tempted to get that as well...  I was eyeing Enemy Action: Ardennes earlier since it just today came back in stock at CoolStuffInc.  Just checked a bit ago, and both copies are gone.  Oh well.   I've been hopelessly bitten by the solitaire game bug lately... Ordered waaaaay more than I should have, but my wife has given her approval, so I'm going to stock up.   ;-)

Recently have played Legion of Darkness, Conflicts of Heroes, LOTR Card Game...  and have several others lined up.  It's a great time to be a solo gamer, since more and more solitaire games or rules systems are coming out.

Pinetree

Quote from: smittyohio on January 14, 2016, 06:20:21 PM

I've been sorely tempted to get that as well...  I was eyeing Enemy Action: Ardennes earlier since it just today came back in stock at CoolStuffInc.  Just checked a bit ago, and both copies are gone.  Oh well.   I've been hopelessly bitten by the solitaire game bug lately... Ordered waaaaay more than I should have, but my wife has given her approval, so I'm going to stock up.   ;-)

Recently have played Legion of Darkness, Conflicts of Heroes, LOTR Card Game...  and have several others lined up.  It's a great time to be a solo gamer, since more and more solitaire games or rules systems are coming out.

I like the look of Enemy Action: Ardennes, the price puts it out of my league though. US$190 incl. shipping converts to NZ$292!
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

TacticalWargames

I bought the first edition second hand a couple of months ago. It is a superb game and the 2d edition rules are much better.

smittyohio

Btw, here's a list of the Top 100 Solitaire Boardgames for 2015 per voting on BGG:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/200265/2015-peoples-choice-top-100-solo-games?titlesonly=1

Note that it's in reverse order, so the #1 game is #100 in the list.  Also, 101 and 102 are not really in the list.

Nefaro

Quote from: smittyohio on January 19, 2016, 10:48:40 AM
Btw, here's a list of the Top 100 Solitaire Boardgames for 2015 per voting on BGG:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/200265/2015-peoples-choice-top-100-solo-games?titlesonly=1

Note that it's in reverse order, so the #1 game is #100 in the list.  Also, 101 and 102 are not really in the list.

Sooo

Mage Knight Board Game got #1?

Not surprised at all.