Are there going to be any new HPS and or John Tiller games?

Started by reapagan, November 29, 2015, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Strela

Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2015, 09:23:02 AM
I would still be curious about new Tiller games but if they're only going to be sold with limited online activation DRM then I won't ever bother.

Not quite certain what you mean by 'limited online activation DRM'.

Tiller uses the same system as Matrix, a key that can be used for multiple installs. The two install limit was removed a long time ago. You only enter the key once on the very first time you start the game - it validates with the server and your done.

David

Nefaro

Quote from: Strela on December 01, 2015, 09:53:57 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2015, 09:23:02 AM
I would still be curious about new Tiller games but if they're only going to be sold with limited online activation DRM then I won't ever bother.

Not quite certain what you mean by 'limited online activation DRM'.

Tiller uses the same system as Matrix, a key that can be used for multiple installs. The two install limit was removed a long time ago. You only enter the key once on the very first time you start the game - it validates with the server and your done.

David


So it still has online activation?

Strela

Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2015, 11:02:05 AM
So it still has online activation?

Yes, but as I said it is only on the very first time starting of the game.exe. At that point it requests the key and validates it.

After that the registry maintains the key as valid and you never have to query the server again.

In my experience this is pretty standard with many PC war games.

The rationale is that as the game is only available for online purchase you will install the game pretty much after you download it. Access to the internet should still be available for validation. Once validated, you can even uninstall the game and reinstall it at a later date without having to query the server again.

David

Cyrano

@Strela -- Possibly difficult topic (hope not) but I was disappointed that MapMod doesn't work with the most recent update to Kharkov '43.  I very much respect the work that's being done to pump up the graphics in the release versions, but, for me, MapMod remains preferable.

Given that the author has been brought in on the WWI series, I would have thought more circumspection could have been used to avoid breaking these mods -- particularly as they affect only the visual aspects of the game, no?

Thanks as always for the continuing effort and development!

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

Quote from: Strela on December 01, 2015, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2015, 11:02:05 AM
So it still has online activation?

Yes, but as I said it is only on the very first time starting of the game.exe. At that point it requests the key and validates it.

After that the registry maintains the key as valid and you never have to query the server again.

While it's better than before, it is still present to some degree. 

Using it right now isn't the issue.  It's years down the road where such permission-based DRM can cause unforeseen problems.  It lowers the long-term value in my eyes.


Quote
In my experience this is pretty standard with many PC war games.

Not all that common in, overall, PC gaming these days.  The backlash in recent years has resulted in fewer indie titles using Online Activation these days.  There are many available without it, with more showing up nearly every day.

There is a huge number of games coming out lately.  More than I can spend the time on.  So DRM has an even higher impact on my purchasing decisions.


Quote
The rationale is that as the game is only available for online purchase you will install the game pretty much after you download it. Access to the internet should still be available for validation. Once validated, you can even uninstall the game and reinstall it at a later date without having to query the server again.

David

I do appreciate the improvement over the limited activation amounts.  I won't completely trash the idea of purchasing one of the new titles since such an improvement has been made. 

I just wanted to point out that having to "phone home" is firmly in the negative column, and I'm not alone in this thinking as a consumer.  With all the competition out there right now in the PC game market, that can't be good. 

Strela

Quote from: Cyrano on December 01, 2015, 01:02:07 PM
@Strela -- Possibly difficult topic (hope not) but I was disappointed that MapMod doesn't work with the most recent update to Kharkov '43.  I very much respect the work that's being done to pump up the graphics in the release versions, but, for me, MapMod remains preferable.

Given that the author has been brought in on the WWI series, I would have thought more circumspection could have been used to avoid breaking these mods -- particularly as they affect only the visual aspects of the game, no?

Thanks as always for the continuing effort and development!

Hi Cyrano,

Please have a look at the link in the first post in this thread.

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=67577

This should help you get Mapmod working.

Let me know how you go,

David

Strela

@Nefaro

I understand your concern. I can see both sides of the discussion. Tiller has tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

I also know he has a contingency if he decides to stop supporting the games/providing a DRM server.

He has been a pretty known entity when it comes to providing long term support.

Appreciate your commentary,

David

Boggit

Quote from: Strela on November 30, 2015, 07:57:06 PM
As far as Joe's latest art work - he started the ball rolling with the first iteration of Kursk. I have picked it all up from that point so most of what you see is my work. We have also retrofitted the new graphics style back into Panzer Campaigns Kharkov '43 and Moscow '42 in the latest patches. No need to pay for a graphics upgrade!
Glad to see it's in good hands! :smitten:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Richie61

Quote from: Cyrano on November 29, 2015, 11:48:01 PM
SB is a wildly under appreciated series for all its graphic limitations -- I marvel at those who prefer paper and cardboard squad level games to it -- and I, too, am quite interested to see where it heads.  WWI and the free Grenada were both really good installments.

I agree. Great series IMO. Plus you can mod the crap out of it  :)



Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Cyrano

and @Strela:  Thanks so very much.  Worked like a charm! 
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Richie61

Quote from: Cyrano on December 03, 2015, 05:11:02 PM
@Richie:  Who's counters are those?

Mine  ;) I am no Iron X and David (Strela), but I have fun doing them. I have used Junior General stuff and lots of others. I am even building my own top down counters now.
http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=68730

Never finished it, but even Panzer Corps units.



Even messed around with a soon to be released title  :D


Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Asid

Quote from: Richie61 on December 03, 2015, 07:35:58 PM
Mine  ;) I am no Iron X and David (Strela), but I have fun doing them. I have used Junior General stuff and lots of others. I am even building my own top down counters now.
http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=68730
Nice  O0
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Strela

Quote from: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:43:50 PM
@Strela :)

Fantastic news. I can hardly wait. O0 I do hope that the game will have a linked/dynamic campaign fro the reasons I mentioned in my above post.

A while back you hinted that you might so something to remedy the campaign deficit in PZB Kursk. Are you any further on, or has that been shelved :( (if so, hopefully temporarily) through pressure of RL and work?


@Boggit.

I think this might be what you're looking for...?






Current planned content for this new feature;






A huge post explaining it all here;

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=68266&page=36



David

Zulu1966

Quote from: Strela on December 04, 2015, 03:38:16 AM
Quote from: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:43:50 PM
@Strela :)

Fantastic news. I can hardly wait. O0 I do hope that the game will have a linked/dynamic campaign fro the reasons I mentioned in my above post.

A while back you hinted that you might so something to remedy the campaign deficit in PZB Kursk. Are you any further on, or has that been shelved :( (if so, hopefully temporarily) through pressure of RL and work?


@Boggit.

I think this might be what you're looking for...?






Current planned content for this new feature;






A huge post explaining it all here;

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=68266&page=36



David

OK - I think that just made me a buyer.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.