LGS Experience

Started by Bison, May 20, 2012, 02:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

(In response to AB):  Funny enough, I saw your mention of someone having converted the Elder Scrolls to that Savage Worlds game system.  I had this secret idea (although it's pretty obvious) to convert Skyrim to a table top RPG.  It would be fairly straightforward to do with the excellent game guide I have which basically walks you through the quests, has the maps, NPCs, etc...but I don't have anything like the kind of time it would take to do it properly.  Still, someday when I'm retired and have nothing be free time on my hands...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Double Deuce

Quote from: Bison on May 20, 2012, 03:20:09 PMI've also been looking at some of the virtual tt programs with the thought that those might provide a potential outlet to do some live gaming.

If you get the urge to look further into the VTT's I have an ultimate license for Fantasy Grounds II so I can host players with the unregistered/demo copy (ie/e no fees to anyone for their copy of the program). You would need to download and install the program and then connect to my server (running off my laptop). It has a built in text chat feature (but yu can use an external voice chat like Skype too) and I would be more than happy to give you, or anyone else, a walk through. I have access to several RPG rulesets such as Rolemaster, OSRIC (1e AD&D), Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, GURPS, 4e D&D and I think some others.

Bison

Wow now that looks awesome DD!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Bison on May 20, 2012, 08:49:24 PM
After thought perhaps I need to look at the 4e D&D too.  Bryant's suggestion that it's tactical focus is cool and lends itself more to solo play battling.

Yep, 4E is definitely a tactical game. I personally am a fan, but you'll end up with grid maps and you need something to represent the player characters and monsters...doesn't have to be minis, but you need something to put on the maps.

Double Deuce

Quote from: Bison on May 21, 2012, 01:04:19 AM
Wow now that looks awesome DD!

Yeah, there are couple good VTT's out there but I settled on FGII. Just seemed to be the best fir for my group at the time but, to be honest, what really sold me is  the 3D dice that bounce across the screen when you roll'em.  ;D

Bison

Well I supported them today with the purchase of the Pathfinder Begginers Box, which is a very well done product.  WotWC fell down with the Red Box Starter Kit in comparison. 

Contents:
64 pg Heroes Manual (Player Guide)
96 pg GM Guide
Set of dice
80 color pawns of heroes/monsters w/ a couple dozen bases
4 Pre-made character sheets useful for new players
4 blank character sheets
Reusable map w/ dungeon on one side and generic 1" grid on otherside

This box set really reminds me of the old Red Box and that is a very good thing.  You can actually create your own adventures with the content provided.  I'll start reading through the manuals tonight.  Very exciting.

Arctic Blast

The only complaint I've read about the Pathfinder box is that things like Skills lists expand out so massively in the full game over the starter set that you almost have to start over again if you decide to dive in to the full system. But if you end up liking it, that's hardly an issue anyway.

meadbelly

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 20, 2012, 10:45:27 PM
Bison- when I get a few minutes to collect my thoughts, I'll offer more concrete info about 4E and Savage Worlds both. Played a LOT of each over the last 3 years (almost to the exclusion of anything else).

Color me interested in your savage world experiences, particularly compared to D&D 4e. I have eyeballed savage worlds, and like what it looks like on paper. Haven't seen it in play yet.

I'm also intrigued by it's general applicability to non-fantasy genres. I've been reupping my GURPS knowledge for a little near sci fi martian goodness, and wondering if I shouldn't be spending the time on savage worlds.

Bison

The issue that I have with my LGS right now is that they must have a business policy of carrying only parts of games.  So for example they had A&A Air mini expansion packs, but no base set.  You know the one thing that gives you the rules and map board.  Or they have a boatload of Warhammer or War Machine mini's but no actual copies of the rulebook.  Who needs the damned rulebook?  Now in their defense they did have a copy of The Island of Blood, which has two starter armies and a condensed rulebook. 

Bison

Household 6 doesn't know it yet, but I've looked up the LGS and we are making a surprise stop by it this morning.  MAHAHAHAHAHA!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on August 01, 2012, 08:39:35 AM
Household 6 doesn't know it yet, but I've looked up the LGS and we are making a surprise stop by it this morning.  MAHAHAHAHAHA!

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

eyebiter

If LGS = local game store

What is MTG or VTT?

bayonetbrant

MTG = Magic The Gathering
VTT = Virtual Tabletop
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on May 21, 2012, 08:31:54 PM
Well I supported them today with the purchase of the Pathfinder Begginers Box, which is a very well done product. 

since you'd taken the plunge on Pathfinder, I feel the need to point out this week's free product at DriveThruRPG.com

Beginning Spellbooks for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Bison

Cool.  Actually the LGS I just went too only had the starter kit and no additional Pathfinder materials.