Starward Rogue (Alpha) - ARCENGAMES

Started by spelk, December 04, 2015, 07:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spelk

New footage of the palette cleanser Starward Rogue (a SHMUP Roguelike), in between work on the 4X Stars Beyond Reach.

Chris seems to be looking for testers and ideas for the title.


amandachen

It looks like The Binding of Isaac but in space and not as cool.

Huw the Poo

This is the first game by Arcen I won't buy because I have zero interest in the genre.  For fans of this type of game, though, I'm sure it will be a very worthy purchase.

Nefaro

Meh. 

Get back to the real turn-based roguelikes, Arcen!   >:(

spelk

Binding of Isaac was the first impression I got from the structure of the game... which isn't encouraging....

But I'll defer judgement, until I can see the usual Arcen flourishes in the game further down the line. I'm not overly against the SHMUP aspects to the game, if they work well and don't require Ikaruga levels of skill to enjoy the game.

A Valley Without Wind's 2d platformer incarnation didn't work all that well even with a bucketload of supporting strategy game surround... simply because platformers don't make good strategic/rpg games IMHO. Some genres don't blend all that well. But then, I still admired what Chris was trying to do and was willing to step into that genre to see how he could bring the Arcen innovation to it.

This is similar, I suppose. SHMUP action, with more Arcen depth and strategy, could be enticing if the RL aspects take on more of a role than is presented in this alpha. Anyway, I'll wait and see.

spelk

Starward Rogue is out, and I've given it the briefest of plays, it really is a twin stick shootah with procedurally generated content. Interesting bullet patterns to dodge and what not.

https://arcengames.com/category/starward-rogue/

But what saddens me the most is that Chris and Arcen are in trouble again, financially..

Here's his honest account with figures of their issues

https://arcengames.com/great-work-on-starward-rogue-team-now-youre-all-laid-off

I really hope their sales pick up, and they can keep eeking out a living and get Stars Beyond Reach to the point where its worth releasing and hopefully recouping some of the finance they've already ploughed into it.

Chris is truly a shining light in the indie dev world, and he really does deserve success, or at least enough success to keep Arcen afloat and his future game designs to fruition.

Nefaro

Yeah, I hope they can get it back on track.

I haven't necessarily enjoyed all the Arcen titles, but there are a few I certainly did. 

Seems like they've been a bit indecisive on what they want to do lately.  I wonder if it's due to finances or just overly whimsical creative urges. 

Was rather surprised and disappointed to hear the 4X game was put on the back burner in favor of a twin-stick arcadey top-down shooter.  :-\  When I think Arcen, I think strategy games. 



Makes me think they must need income so bad that they decided to put out a quick and inexpensive Arcade game in the hopes that all the twitchy Platformer-players pick it up.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


gameleaper

I always notice your off the beaten-path games link spelk:) I don't like this one though, but I'm glad after watching this video my games are not looking so bad now :)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: gameleaper on January 28, 2016, 06:07:32 AM
I always notice your off the beaten-path games link spelk:) I don't like this one though, but I'm glad after watching this video my games are not looking so bad now :)

No. Your games still look bad, gameleaper, but this one looks bad too.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


gameleaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 28, 2016, 07:06:20 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 28, 2016, 06:07:32 AM
I always notice your off the beaten-path games link spelk:) I don't like this one though, but I'm glad after watching this video my games are not looking so bad now :)

No. Your games still look bad, gameleaper, but this one looks bad too.  :crazy2:

I cant help it I'm a zx spectrum kid, but einstine says its all relative, so if you had never played any games the game above and my games would all look good :)

spelk

Starward Rogue looks a lot better on Launch, than in that Alpha preview.


gameleaper

yep that video is a lot better, I don't like the game but I can a lot more to it. I like rogues just not real time

Jarhead0331

It seems to me the developer at Arcen has some of you guys brainwashed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

#14
Quote from: gameleaper on January 28, 2016, 07:58:13 AM
I like rogues just not real time

Not a roguelike if it isn't turn-based.

This was obviously aimed at the so-called "rogue-lite" (aka Arcade) crowd.  There has been a steady brown stream of them lately.  Evidently some are selling.  :-\


The only roguelike Arcen did was Bionic Dues.  One of a pair of their games I've enjoyed, but it's bad art style and weird bot switching mechanic still gave it some cons.


I was hoping their new 4X would have some of the good bits from AI War.  But without the insurgency & tower defense stuff, being a 4X.  Not sure if that will happen since the dev tends to wanna drastically alter for the sake of altering.