I'm not getting TW: Warhammer and here's why

Started by W8taminute, December 12, 2015, 06:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Well the game has been out for a while now.  Is it really worth it though?  From what few let's play videos I've seen I'm not terribly impressed.  I'd probably get this title if it goes on sale for under 20 but that is extremely unlikely anytime soon.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I am waiting for a sale/price drop too. Then I will swoop in and take the plunge, grab the DLCs, etc.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

#48
Quote from: W8taminute on June 10, 2016, 06:12:48 PM
Well the game has been out for a while now.  Is it really worth it though?  From what few let's play videos I've seen I'm not terribly impressed.  I'd probably get this title if it goes on sale for under 20 but that is extremely unlikely anytime soon.

Not sure what it unimpressive if you like total war titles. The campaign map and unit graphics are awesome, the battle graphics and terrain are better than ever, you have multiple factions that all play MUCH differently, the AI is just as good as Shogun 2 and atilla. There are plenty of different units, you have a TON of RPG options with your heroes tailor making them into whatever you want, diplomacy is good. Frankly, the only thing that is "simpler" than attilla or Shogun2 is the building choices. But really, your only building stuff to either open up units, improve units or but units. Plus combat animation is good

I see people complaining that battles are over too fast. Yeah, they are...just like EVERY total war since Rome. You subscribe to one of many combat mods on the workshop and its solved

So if you like total war games, I'm not sure why you wouldn't like this one. I think a lot of it is people convincing themselves it isn't good because they don't want to buy it. That's my only guess. That and of course, some people don't like Total War games or fantasy settings.

Simply, the game is quite good. It's polished, I haven't heard of or noticed any major bugs (or minor really). It's seems to run well, etc
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

W8taminute

^All good points and I agree with you.  I guess where I'm coming from is not from a position of hate bashing or anything.  I've been playing total war since the first game ever came out and love this formula.  It's just that right now there are so many other distractions bringing in fresh new gameplay that I'm in no hurry to pick up this title. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on June 10, 2016, 08:29:50 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on June 10, 2016, 06:12:48 PM
Well the game has been out for a while now.  Is it really worth it though?  From what few let's play videos I've seen I'm not terribly impressed.  I'd probably get this title if it goes on sale for under 20 but that is extremely unlikely anytime soon.

Not sure what it unimpressive if you like total war titles. The campaign map and unit graphics are awesome, the battle graphics and terrain are better than ever, you have multiple factions that all play MUCH differently, the AI is just as good as Shogun 2 and atilla. There are plenty of different units, you have a TON of RPG options with your heroes tailor making them into whatever you want, diplomacy is good. Frankly, the only thing that is "simpler" than attilla or Shogun2 is the building choices. But really, your only building stuff to either open up units, improve units or but units. Plus combat animation is good

I see people complaining that battles are over too fast. Yeah, they are...just like EVERY total war since Rome. You subscribe to one of many combat mods on the workshop and its solved

So if you like total war games, I'm not sure why you wouldn't like this one. I think a lot of it is people convincing themselves it isn't good because they don't want to buy it. That's my only guess. That and of course, some people don't like Total War games or fantasy settings.

Simply, the game is quite good. It's polished, I haven't heard of or noticed any major bugs (or minor really). It's seems to run well, etc


+1


I think people are trying to convince themselves that they don't need another game just yet.  I do that often, and sometimes successfully. 

But this one breaks the mold enough, and is as bug-free as a TW release has ever been.  Therefore I have no regrets in purchasing it, unlike many other new games I've picked up in recent years.

My other speculation is that it's enough of a change from the usual TW stuff that a few long-time fans/players of the series are skeerd of leaving their cozy little box.  I usually reserve such jests for the ones who constantly stick to WW2 stuff, but there are similarities.    :P

FlickJax

It's excellent, if you love Total War you will love it and even more so if you love Warhammer.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: W8taminute on June 10, 2016, 11:43:42 PM
^All good points and I agree with you.  I guess where I'm coming from is not from a position of hate bashing or anything.  I've been playing total war since the first game ever came out and love this formula.  It's just that right now there are so many other distractions bringing in fresh new gameplay that I'm in no hurry to pick up this title.

No, I get it. I'm just saying that if you like TW and don't mind a fantasy setting, this is a great game and far more polished/bug free than almost all previous releases.

But I know where your coming from...I picked up Warhammer, HOI4, and Stellaris all within two weeks of each other. Can't get around to playing something before another game comes along
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

I absolutely hate warhammer, so I passed on this, but I will buy this for the 2016 christmas sale because I bet there will be an awesome game of thrones total conversion mod that I will just have to play.  Not to mention all the other awesome total conversion mods that will probaly come out.  For that alone I will be owning this at some point, just not today at full price.

Gusington

^From your keyboard to the WH gaming gods' ear!

You hate Warhammer eh?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

I'm not into WH.  But not too bothered as it's pretty much similar to any fantasy theme out there.

Gusington

I'm strictly a new initiate when it comes to both WH and WH40k, which is  one of the main reasons why I didn't by the TW game yet.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

#58
Quote from: Gusington on June 11, 2016, 06:56:27 PM
I'm strictly a new initiate when it comes to both WH and WH40k, which is  one of the main reasons why I didn't by the TW game yet.

Warhammer Fantasy is like many other high magic versions of Tolkien-esque fantasy.  Except the humans are in a very late medieval, or early renaissance period, as opposed to the usual medieval type settings.  The humies have some rare hand-built guns and cannon.  The "Dwarfs" are all that plus some extra Steampunkery.  A bit darker flavor than most due to some of the chaos gods/demons themes, and the accompanying witch hunter things on the other side. 

Not really all that different from other High Fantasy, in general, and it's magic is more Tolkien-esque than others (D&D and spin-offs like BG series) since using it is playing with fire (or the Winds Of Chaos in this case), and can have negative repercussions if not being careful.  Like being tempted by the dark side of the force, to give another example, but the dark side = Chaos in Warhammer.



WH40K is the odd setting.  It can be confusing until you spend some time in it.  Insane Sci-Fantasy in the year 40,000.  But with many fantasy tropes, such as Orks and Elves, mixed with later movie & novel inspired stuff like Aliens and Terminator.  Huge mixed bag which may take time to get used to.  Pretty unique stuff, and took the dark themes of Warhammer Fantasy to another step & in a different time/place.



Unless you just hate fantasy, or all your elves and vampires must have little sparkles around them, then they're fun settings to check out.  They were successful for decades because they broke out of the cookie cutter molds.  Despite the company owning the IP often souring fans with it's past merchandising strategies, paranoia-restricted digital licensing, and aggressive IP sweeps.  Looks like they've finally started loosening up on the licensing options, though, which is why we're seeing the promise of an occasionally good PC game with one of their settings.





TL/DR:

Warhammer Fantasy theme is easy to get into, if you're familiar with any Tolkien derived fantasy.  WH40K .. not so much.

Gusington

Are there witch hunter units in this game?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd