Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game

Started by MetalDog, December 12, 2015, 06:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Martok

Quote from: Freyland on February 26, 2016, 05:16:32 PM
Gents, my wife insists that I work on wallpaper tonight. I might escape at 11 pm est if both of you are still around.
She is a cruel mistress. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jamus34

Not sure if I'll be around that late. If I am I will gladly oversee the destruction of the Roman empire.
Insert witty comment here.

Freyland

There's no way I will be free even by that hour, sadly. Sunday?

Millipede

Sunday is clear for now. I'll do my best to keep it open. What time do you have in mind?

jamus34

Sunday evening is good for me too, as of right now.
Insert witty comment here.

Freyland

Still stuck with 9pm EST since I have to get kids to bed. 
So how does that work if one of us gets eliminated?  If Jamus does go down, are Roy and I just going to play ourselves thereafter? Or have two games running?

Millipede

I suppose it's inevitable that any game will eventually start eliminating competitors but, on the other hand, it wouldn't be as enjoyable with just two of us. I wouldn't object to taking everything we've learned and starting over if/when one of us is eliminated. Since Steam allows 4 competitors, maybe we could even find another to join us. What do you think?

Freyland

On one hand, I totally agree with you.  By the same token, that methodology means we will never finish a game-- even if we eliminate all the AI's, eventually one of us will probably get knocked out and then again it will be two.
Having clouded the water with that, for this particular game I would be fine on the restart since Jamus feels he is toast and I certainly am weak (but I am colonizing another continent that no one but the French seem to have found).  If you are at risk of being eliminated, logically if not imminently, then we could restart.  Still need to make a decision on handling the elimination issue though.

Millipede

Absolutely! It makes no sense to keep starting over when one of us gets eliminated but... it looks like the AI empires are going to end up deciding the outcome of our current game. Congratulations, good for the AI but that might detract a bit from our individual game enjoyment  ;).

If we could get one more "Groghead" to join us then we could keep going until it gets down to two live players and they could decide whether to keep going or not.

In the current game, I'm thinking that I've got to attack the Ethiopians... it's just a matter of deciding when and where would be the most effective. Of course, attacking him before he attacks me will always be preferable (duh).

MetalDog

The mp games I have played usually see the players taking out the ai's and then basically looking at the strongest player remaining and forfeiting.  I would love to see a game go all the way to the end and players working against one another as much as the ai.  And I'll play your fourth if you'd like.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Millipede

I'm not advocating an immediate restart. Let's keep going for a bit, at least until one of us is eliminated.

Millipede

Sounds good MD. We'll see how the current game develops.

jamus34

Let me add that I am not just rolling over waiting for either Zara or Suryanman to roll over me. I just think things are pretty grim for me right now. I also know I made a lot of mistakes. BtS adds some changes I didn't know about as most of my civ4 exp was with vanilla. Not saying I can rule the world however I should be a lot more competative next time.
Insert witty comment here.

Millipede

I'm having a bit of the same problem in that I've been playing the "Legends of Revolution" mod for the last several years and it takes time to relearn the differences between it and vanilla BtS.

Freyland

Alright, I'm a terrible MP partner.  I have to back out again tonight, unless we can start later and run later, as it is a matter of "fish or death".  Basically, the wife has gone on a fish/fish tank kick over the last two weeks (and who knows over how much money), and today we are urgently trying to transfer various large aquariums before expensive fish perish.  I Haven't even made dinner yet for family. Remember that wallpapering that got in the way of us playing last weekend?  That. Never. Happened.  It was all fish, all night.
If you guys can play later and stay later tonight, I should be available.