Main Menu

Squad

Started by IronX, December 15, 2015, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Quote from: Toonces on January 05, 2016, 07:23:33 AM
I usually sort the servers by number of players and I never see open COOP anywhere near the top.  It's all KotH, RPG, and Sandbox.

What servers rae you playing on, Jomni?

Australian ones.

Hofstadter

I dont get why people dont join a clan for Arma. Pretty much all the fun is in communication and yelling at each other.

I do love my clan, the 160th.

I cant wait for squad to get vehicles though, the game is already ridiculously fun for an alpha. My only problem is that youd think the russian army would have anough money for basic sights. Cant see anything with the irons
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Bardolph

The sight pictures are terrible. Like the programmers never shouldered an actual weapon. PR suffered from this as well, and they aren't the only ones. Most games suffer.
Can't remember what game this was from but they got it right:


I found a good description of the issue on some forum thread: "instead of looking through the sights like you do with a real weapon, in most games it's like your looking AT the sights". The pic I posted gets it right, the rear sight ring is out of focus, you are aware of it but not staring AT it when you are aiming.

A quick Google shows we aren't the only ones to notice, but a read of some of the threads on the issue over on the Squad forums shows the fanboys defending the way it is being done (surprise!) against people with (claimed) actual firearms experience. Also a lot of folks that don't understand basic ballistics at all.

Still watching this one, I'd love an ARMA light  :coolsmiley: that gets better performance in multiplayer but has that ARMA feel. Actually I just want an ARMA that runs better. I wonder that no developer has taken up that opportunity, ARMA II and III have done very well, granted in great part due to DayZ but they seem to be stuck on an engine that is getting pretty creaky at this point in time. Surely it is possible to do what ARMA does with a more modern engine that runs better on modern computers?

Jarhead0331

#93
The above photo looks like it is from one of the Brothers in Arms games, probably Hell's Highway. The proper way to fire a weapon through iron sights is to focus on the front sight. That means the rear sight, as well as the target will be blurred.



Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2016, 02:52:41 PM
The proper way to fire a weapon through iron sights is to focus on the front sight. That means the rear sight, as well as the target will be blurred.

It's a long time since I used any kind of firearm, but I would have thought that there must be some kind of transfer of focus during the aiming process.  What I mean is that the target must be in focus at some point, as must the backsight and foresight, though I can see (ahem) that the final point of focus would be the foresight.   I guess videogames have to abstract this in some way.

Jarhead0331

#95
^See subheading B - Point of Focus.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter2.htm



QuoteFigure 2-4c. Proper. Control alignment is precise. Focus limited to front sight only, renders the sights distinct and target indistinct and sight relationship can be controlled constantly.

1. It is imperative to maintain 'front slight point of focus" throughout the sighting and aiming of the pistol. The shooter must concentrate on maintaining the correct relationship between front and rear sight, and the point of focus must be on the front sight during the short period required to deliver the shot. If the focus is displaced forward, and the target is momentarily in clear focus, the ability of shooter to achieve correct sight alignment is jeopardized for that moment. Frequently, this is the moment that the pistol fires. A controlled, accurate shot is impossible under these conditions.

2. When the eye is focused on the target the relatively small movement of the arm appears magnified. However, when the eye is correctly focuses on the front sight this movement appears to have been reduced.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

I miss Brothers In Arms.

FPS can be really nauseating especially now with better graphics. The whole screen is highly detailed.

Jack Nastyface

Just listened to the grogcast about Squad, and am now reading this thread.  How come no-one has mentioned America's Army?  Is the latest iteration any good?  I recall playing that a while back, and having lots of fun with it.  Granted, the maps are a little bit small, but at least you don't have a dozen guys running around with sniper rifles.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Toonces

I've never played America's Army, although it pops in my queue on Steam frequently.

Regardless, everyone's not running around with sniper rifles in Squad, either.  When you spawn in you have to pick a role within the squad that isn't taken, and the kit is restricted by your role.  Project Reality works in a similar manner.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Has Squad improved any since its initial EA release? Has any additional content been added? New maps? New modes? New weapons? Vehicles?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Hofstadter

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 03, 2016, 05:19:40 PM
Has Squad improved any since its initial EA release? Has any additional content been added? New maps? New modes? New weapons? Vehicles?

They added a couple of scopes I think, buts been focused on making sure the server doesnt run like garbage
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Ranger33

Squad limits the roles in each squad nicely, so you usually end up with a good variety. There can't be more than two of any role, and snipers are actually limited across the entire team. So right now if you have 30+ players on your team there wil only be three snipers, regardless of how many squads there are.

Also, word is the next big patch will come out this week or next. I think vehicles are still out for now.

jomni

Looks like Americas Army became twitchy based on the vids.

Skoop

I saw pics of Russians, did they add those ?  Would be nice if there was more than just Taliban vs US.

IronX

#104
Latest developer's update shows off some visual effects improvements, new map progress and upcoming weapons: https://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=75.

Edit: V 4 has now been released and includes optics for Russian troops along with a number of other changes: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/11691-alpha-4-update/.