'The Jacobites' Rebelion skirmish Turn-based Hex&chit PC windows

Started by gameleaper, December 21, 2015, 01:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

The Jacobites by Mark Ainsworth ref210665

Make No Mistake this game is not the basic rout nap game, this has assets from the old UI but the game engine is a vast world away.

first of you can move more than one hex , you have move points. you can rally any given hex in the rally phase at a price, there are combat effects that can shake a unit, a shaken unit cannot fight but it can be rallyed. you can fire upto your hex range 2 hexes in all directions, you can fight in a hex and get detailed battle logs for things like misses hits total fire power.

you can select any number of attckers on the bottom left, then select the targets bottom right, this is an amazing feature, each unit in a stack can be targetted sepratly.

gameleaper

who wants to play scots and redcoats then :) Ive been busy with this project for some time very glad I made the xmass deadline.

gameleaper

one thing to look out for, is when the computer is taking its turn, it can shoot at empty ground and get hits, this is part of the game, you can attack anything you want, the computer is just using all options. It looked like it shot at itself, so I hope I cleared that up.

bbmike

gameleaper, I tried this and didn't get too far. You are right that the interface is very quirky. Here's a couple of other problems I had.
1) The unit background colors are too close. I can't really tell them apart (at least on my screen). I drew a red border around the English chits (not the best solution) and that help me a bit more.
2) I can't tell when units are stacked just by looking at the screen. I didn't even know the English had entered the same hex as me at first!
3) It is also hard to tell what units have moved and fired just by looking at the screen.
4) When I shoot at a unit it is hard to tell if I actually shot or what the damage was.

I'll give this another go later. I think you have a good game in the making here. Also, your game graphics (map, units) are starting to look really good.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2015, 09:44:22 AM
gameleaper, I tried this and didn't get too far. You are right that the interface is very quirky. Here's a couple of other problems I had.
1) The unit background colors are too close. I can't really tell them apart (at least on my screen). I drew a red border around the English chits (not the best solution) and that help me a bit more.
2) I can't tell when units are stacked just by looking at the screen. I didn't even know the English had entered the same hex as me at first!
3) It is also hard to tell what units have moved and fired just by looking at the screen.
4) When I shoot at a unit it is hard to tell if I actually shot or what the damage was.

I'll give this another go later. I think you have a good game in the making here. Also, your game graphics (map, units) are starting to look really good.  :)

Thankyou bb for the feedback, I'm on it like a fly on the brownstuff :) I have a few other updates in mind like having a gold corner on the button for the current phase. I indeed am spured on by your comments -  I may put a flag on the brit counters utill I get more done, that might help a bit with seeing whos who

gameleaper

Ive done what you suggested bb, much better now thanks, I did a few other improvements too

Ive added a red boarder to stacked chits, so you know its a stack

Ive restricted rallys to once per hex.

Ive added a gold corner to the buttons relating to what phase is current

Im adding flags now to display what side is who.

the chits below 100 are your chits, the computer plays with chits above 100, this is only important to setup a game

gameleaper

ok done another item partialy on the list, you can now see a shaken Marker on the selected chits, so it gives another layer on the combat, also you can hover bottom left on the selected chits and display info on chits

gameleaper

ok bb Ive put fired and moved indicators, you was correct in mentioning it

ok forgot the flags, its in now

gameleaper

If your reading this don't be put off , the game has a brilliant feature you select what units fire and then select the targets in a stack, its very unusual to find this mechanic, also have you ever had a Jacobite battle?

The UI takes a minite to learn, but once you know its easy, but you can just bash buttons, the help file is only a few hundred words, but you need to grasp the fine control you have in stacks.

the game is a skirmish type game where the scots harras the brits, with snipes, the british stack to macamise firepower. give it a try for xmas its free

bayonetbrant

is there a Mac version?  I might poke around with it a bit over the holidays
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

gameleaper

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 21, 2015, 08:53:41 PM

Hi I will try to get to a Mac tomorrow to compile a Mac version for you, thanks for the interest bay

gameleaper

final update, and I got a Mac version too

gameleaper

Mac version aswell as windows
Ive added a Random button, to set up an instant random game, the game is best setup manualy for realistic battles, but for a fast skirmish this will do it

gameleaper

Mac & windows versions included

Ive improved how the shaken modifier applying to much, Melee casualties cause shaken now