Steam achievements website

Started by W8taminute, January 03, 2016, 05:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

W8taminute

Hi guys,

I know many of you aren't really into keeping track of your Steam achievements but I found a website that efficiently let's you keep track of your completion percentage. 

https://truesteamachievements.com/


"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

Totally serious questions: Is this more for your own curiosity?  Or is there something more important in knowing your Steam achievements?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

I worry a little that these kinds of sites are ripe for exploitation since lots of folks will probably create a profile that uses the same password as their Steam account, either because they are lazy or because they actually think that they must to see their Steam info. Then, if someone hacks the site's server info they will have access to a great many Steam accounts.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

Actually websites such as these give you the option of using the Steam API ("sign in with Steam") which doesn't require creating an account or anything.  No need to worry.

Staggerwing

So none of the account info is visible to the secondary website when using the Steam API?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Freyland

Not sure there is anything I could be told to make me comfortable linking or exposing my Steam account to a third party.

W8taminute

I've been signing up to these kind of sites for ages with my Xbox and PS accounts and have never had any problems.  All they ask for is an email and a password which you can make different from your Steam account.  You can also sign in using your Steam account but I chose to just link my Steam account with my duplicate True Achievements account.  I'm not worried.

MD:

Yes I like seeing how much I've 'completed' a game based on the number of achievements I've unlocked.  It's sort of like keeping track of your favorite football stars seasons stats.  Since I don't like sports that much this is my thing that floats my boat.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

I like seeing that stuff sometimes, too.  Isn't there somewhere on Steam to get that?  Or is the site in the OP the only way?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 03, 2016, 07:40:39 PM
So none of the account info is visible to the secondary website when using the Steam API?

What do you mean by account info?  The third party can't access your password if that's what concerns you, but obviously it can access profile information because that's the whole point.

Quote from: Freyland on January 03, 2016, 08:00:09 PM
Not sure there is anything I could be told to make me comfortable linking or exposing my Steam account to a third party.

How about this: the only information you're giving the third party (provided you use the Steam API) is your profile name.  Same as you'd give to a friend so they can add you on Steam.

Here's how it works: You want to use a third party website but you need an account.  You use "sign in through Steam" which takes you to the Steam website, and you login there, not at the third party.  The third party then asks Steam "is this guy who he says he is?" and Steam replies "yes, he's logged in with us - here's a limited selection of his publically-available profile information".  Third party says "kthx" and provides its service to you.

MikeGER

#9
a Steam achievement is not an achievement  :P
(so i notice them but don't care about them ...and surly don't make efforts to get any )

getting a given education certificate
climbing a given mountain top
running/biking/hiking a given distance in a personal goal time
loosing or gaining a certain personal chosen amount of weight
reading a good book to the end
finishing a solo board game (campaign) to the very end
visiting a exciting given spot on earth once as a personal goal 
...
are achievements

when it comes to the virtual worlds
i would say, experiencing getting into the flow while doing 'virtual stuff' can be seen as an (psychedelic) achievement  ...but on the other hand there are so many factors the subject can not control, so it might be more a wish being granted or a lucky choice of parameters (topic chosen, software, hardware, scenario, mood you start gaming in, sudden distractions from the realword) , then a real achievement

to spin the idea a little further
Steam should invent an Immers-o-meter for the nerds which tracks body parameters (like a polygraph or even an EEG) and maybe track the eyes too to scientifically measure the personal degree of immersion a subject experiences while in a certain game situation

W8taminute

Quote from: MetalDog on January 04, 2016, 12:11:31 AM
I like seeing that stuff sometimes, too.  Isn't there somewhere on Steam to get that?  Or is the site in the OP the only way?

There is but it doesn't really tell you much and it's very tough to find the stats page in Steam.  This website provides you with details and let's you see a simple bar graph of your accomplishments.


Quote from: MikeGER on January 04, 2016, 03:22:13 AM
a Steam achievement is not an achievement  :P
(so i notice them but don't care about them ...and surly don't make efforts to get any )

getting a given education certificate
climbing a given mountain top
running/biking/hiking a given distance in a personal goal time
loosing or gaining a certain personal chosen amount of weight
reading a good book to the end
finishing a solo board game (campaign) to the very end
visiting a exciting given spot on earth once as a personal goal 
...
are achievements

when it comes to the virtual worlds
i would say, experiencing getting into the flow while doing 'virtual stuff' can be seen as an (psychedelic) achievement  ...but on the other hand there are so many factors the subject can not control, so it might be more a wish being granted or a lucky choice of parameters (topic chosen, software, hardware, scenario, mood you start gaming in, sudden distractions from the realword) , then a real achievement

to spin the idea a little further
Steam should invent an Immers-o-meter for the nerds which tracks body parameters (like a polygraph or even an EEG) and maybe track the eyes too to scientifically measure the personal degree of immersion a subject experiences while in a certain game situation

Getting a video game achievement takes work and planning in many cases and provides a different kind of joy then getting a diploma from the university in real life.  I like your idea of a nerd-o-meter though.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk