Main Menu

Goodbye Dad

Started by Gusington, January 13, 2016, 07:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

John Walker, one of the Rock Paper Scissors crew, just lost his Dad. He wrote about it here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/13/rip-hugh-walker-1949-2016/#more-340399

Hard not to read that and get emotional.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Shit, Gus. I thought you were saying your dad passed away.  :-[

That's a heck of a read.  :'(

Jarhead0331

Very moving. I hope When the time comes, my children will be able to look back at our lives together and have the same feelings of love, pride and joy. You can really tell that Mr. Walker was an excellent father, the kind of father we should all strive to be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Oche

May he rest in peace, and God grant Mr. Walker comfort and strength to bear his irreparable loss. I lost my dad recently (7 months ago) and i know how that goes when family is very close as it should be for everyone, that's all that matters, FAMILY, always be close to yours no matter what.

MengJiao

#4
Quote from: Oche on January 14, 2016, 09:12:28 AM
May he rest in peace, and God grant Mr. Walker comfort and strength to bear his irreparable loss. I lost my dad recently (7 months ago) and i know how that goes when family is very close as it should be for everyone, that's all that matters, FAMILY, always be close to yours no matter what.

  My father also died about 7 months ago.  He was very organized about it and we had funny conversations up until the day he died.  He grew up in Texas during the Depression and after that sort of serious stretch everything seemed to be a matter of pure comic enjoyment -- especially the early days of computing once he got out of doing Cold War stuff (boring! boring! boring!  he said) and went to work on Geology and eventually all kinds of games, killing large animals with big rifles, C++ and so on.
  A few more random facts:  he could repair anything with anything.  It was really quite odd.  I once saw him fix a car with a pocket knife and some barbed wire.  Watching him repair TVs back in the vaccuum tube days was mesmerizing.
  Oh and he was a dance instructor.  While working at Strategic Air Command, he moonlighted as a dance instructor.  So for example he could samba on command (making his own beat etc.).

   He never taught me to Samba, but he taught me to skip, climb trees, enjoy movies, and boxing and football, read Sci -Fi, play all sports reasonably well and fence and hunt and fish and to hike like a geologist.
 




Gusington

Sorry if I mslead with the subject line.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I lost my Father back in 1994 to cancer. There's not a day that goes by that I don't still think about him and my Mother. So much here that he would laugh about. That would be a great sound to hear again.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RedArgo

The part that hit me was the wanting to call his dad.  It was a long time after my dad passed that I didn't go to call him to tell him about something my kids were doing.  It also makes me makes me think about making sure I'm available to my boys when they want me, doesn't happen as much anymore (they're 14) and I'm sure it will get less before it gets more.

Jarhead0331

This is definitely one of the most depressing threads we've had around here in a long time...so...


BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mirth

Dad always did love a good pair of bewbies.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Even a bad pair of bewbs is better than no pair of bewbs.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 14, 2016, 07:45:26 AM
Very moving. I hope When the time comes, my children will be able to look back at our lives together and have the same feelings of love, pride and joy. You can really tell that Mr. Walker was an excellent father, the kind of father we should all strive to be.

Amen to that. It is after all, pretty much all most of us leave behind, but is the only hope for making the future a better place to be.

But I must admit to being affected by hearing of such things and the increasingly small margin between my own age and the subjects.

But in the interests of lifting spirits ....



"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

sandman2575

The John Walker piece was definitely moving.

*sigh*

The deaths of the great David Bowie and now the great Alan Rickman are not improving my mood.   :'(

Rickman's performance in Die Hard was just ridiculously awesome... I honestly don't think there has been a film villain to top him. I laugh just thinking about lines like, "Asian Dawn?" "I read about them in Time Magazine..."

Yeah, so anyway... boobs are good.   O0

BanzaiCat

I'm going to have to have an Alan Rickman movie marathon this weekend. I'll have to gently break it to my daughter, because she's a HUGE fan of the Harry Potter films but absolutely LOVES Rickman's Snape character. She's going to be even more bummed than I am.  :-\

sandman2575

To me, Rickman will always be the nefarious Hans Gruber first and foremost...

"After all your posturing, after all your little speeches, you're nothing but a common thief."

"I am an extraordinary thief, Mrs. McLane, and since I'm moving on to kidnapping, you should show a little more respect!"

;)