Browser running, turn-based strategy games?

Started by JasonPratt, January 27, 2016, 12:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

So, I heard from the Bro that the executives (including him) where he works will be getting new Surface tablets soon.

But, naturally, they don't want any actual programs installed on the systems beyond an approved business suite.

But, the Bro is who got me into strategy gaming very long ago when we were kids, and we've been wanting to get back into playing together somehow, someday.

This leaves me looking for a type of game that I have (almost) no experience with, but which I expect exists.

SO THUS I COME UNTO MY FELLOW GROGS FOR ADVICE WITHAL!  :D


Criteria:

1.) Assume the system will be Win 8.1 or Win 10. (I doubt they'll be getting an earlier version of the Surface running whatever it ran, even if those still exist.)

2.) It must be a browser based game. No extrenuous software.

3.) Assume it must be turn based, as we're both old geezers now and I'm dubious that we'll have the reflexes to play each other in real time. (Some minor r-t action might be acceptable.)

4.) Just about any strategy genre will be fine, unless it verges on porn (e.g. Tanto Cuare or whatever that moe-ish maid-harem rewrite of the Dominions card-game system was called). He has little daughters, so graphic violence should be avoided, too. Think of 40K Regicide and its multiple Ork stomach gibblets as being beyond the limit for comparison. It's likely he won't want to go for Lovecraftian horror or something overtly anti-Christian either. (Again, some 40K games might be okay if they don't go into background cosmology details; others would be pushing it. I doubt he'd go for something like Mordheim by comparison either.)

5.) It doesn't have to be combat. It can be resource management strategy or sports strategy or whatever. He likes all kinds of combat topics, though.

6.) It doesn't strictly have to be multiplayer. (I want him to have some fun even if we can't play together.)

7.) Asynch would be preferable to synch for multiplayer (so that we don't necessarily both have to be playing at the same time.) But synchronous isn't excluded.


Example: the failed MechCommander Online experiment would have been a good recommendation. (We played the Crescent Hawks computer games on the C64 as kids; he would let me advance the plot, while keeping up with how things were going occasionally, and I'd call him in when the turn-based fighting was ready.) Browser based, turn based, not particularly vulgar. I can't recall if it required synch play.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

gameleaper

I have been playing with RPG Maker, and its turn-based and real fun making your own games, but you can get games already made if your not the creative type, the new version RPG Maker MV has the ability to be created for any platform java ios android windows mac and web-browser. I got a game going in an hour, It it really really fun using premade maps and linking them then editing a Map or two, but creating a new map is great.

so I hope Ive give you an idea

Ubercat

#2
I greatly enjoyed Everknight for a year or two back around '04. It aint pretty but the strategic aspect is very good.

In one memorable game, I was in a war with a woman who had a somewhat superior geographic position to me which enabled her to steadily recruit more troops than I. She'd come after me with a massively larger army, and when we fought, I'd cast just the right spell to give myself a better kill ratio. She failed to second guess me every time. Her army would get butchered and mine would get crippled. Then she'd raise another massive force while I ran around my demesnes, desperately scraping up troops to rebuild my army before the next invasion!

I remember her chasing me around mountain chains in my territory while I kept trickling more troops into my force until I was ready to turn and meet her. I felt like Hannibal or Lee! I ended up losing too, though I may have eventually conceded. I don't recall.

The one thing that I eventually gave it up for was player collusion. I tried to make peace with that woman early but she'd been playing for a while and had already agreed before the game to ally with another experienced player. Maybe the old hands finally figured out that ganging up on the new players wasn't good for their long term gaming prospects?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus