Order of Battle: Morning Sun

Started by JasonPratt, January 29, 2016, 01:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

So, I heard from an advertisement somewhere that it's out now.  >:D

I've been meh about picking up the first game thanks to very mixed reviews, but I'm interested in this due at least to its unique setting; and maybe the engine will work better here...? Although on the other hand, this isn't a standalone game, but an expansion, so -- if the base game is dubious, even if this is good would that make enough difference to necessarily invest in both?

Anyway, here's a thread for first-adopters to tell the rest of us your thoughts.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Purchased due to the subject. Have not played yet. Hopefully this weekend.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

I would have loved the original game if not for the heavy scripting. But because of that I can only say it was 'good.' I am also very interested in the setting ao like JH may get it at discount just for that.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2016, 02:17:34 PM
I would have loved the original game if not for the heavy scripting. But because of that I can only say it was 'good.' I am also very interested in the setting ao like JH may get it at discount just for that.

They are in the process of developing a skirmish mode that will have AI that is not scripted.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2016, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 29, 2016, 02:32:25 PM
NATO counters?

No. Not yet. I believe they are working on it.

The NATO counters are drool-worthy!!!!  The best I've seen.




Jarhead0331

Do you know ETA on when they will be ready?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni


Swatter

One of the cool pros about Unity is the ability create cool effects (like realistic looking counters) fairly easily. The game had a 2D mode all along, not sure why the counters are taking so long. One of the cons of Unity is that modding is more difficult, which I imagine is why you haven't seen any counter mods.

bbmike

I know they are working on Vassal 4. I hope it looks like that.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Crossroads

Quote from: Swatter on January 29, 2016, 09:28:55 PM
One of the cool pros about Unity is the ability create cool effects (like realistic looking counters) fairly easily. The game had a 2D mode all along, not sure why the counters are taking so long. One of the cons of Unity is that modding is more difficult, which I imagine is why you haven't seen any counter mods.

Well they shouldn't have put such a teaser in place if they're not going to implement it  :knuppel2:

This boardgamegeek buys in the second they have the boardgame counters  :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Boggit

I've just added it to my OOB Pacific game, but haven't yet got around to actually playing it. It looks like a lot of content has been added though.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

airboy

Has anyone played this enough to have an opinion?  I'm really interested in the historical campaign and would like an interesting simulation that does not require a massive time investment like War in the Pacific.

With all of the hours I'm putting in at work, buying the base platform and this expansion is not a major expense.  It could happily collect dust on the shelf until I step down from management in December!

DicedT

How does this differ from Panzer General?