Help Me Hardcore Star Wars Fans...You're My Only Hope

Started by Wes, January 30, 2016, 11:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Wes on January 31, 2016, 04:32:47 PM
...but as long as I get to take a shot at some Sith ass this coming week I don't mind :)

You must know Starfury...
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Wes

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

And ending with, "You gotta leave. My husband's home!".

MetalDog

And in six posts we have another batch to add to the HoF!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Wes

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Wes on January 31, 2016, 04:30:32 PM
Now here is where you earn your merit badge: the url for the Space:1999 uber wiki

And Go!

not so much much a wiki as a resource dump, but this probably what you're looking for
http://www.heliograph.com/space1889/
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Wes

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 31, 2016, 05:55:40 PM
Quote from: Wes on January 31, 2016, 04:30:32 PM
Now here is where you earn your merit badge: the url for the Space:1999 uber wiki

And Go!

not so much much a wiki as a resource dump, but this probably what you're looking for
http://www.heliograph.com/space1889/

Now this one I do know!

I think they are the same folks who did the system based on Stanley G. Weinbaum's work (checked and is a different group but still awesome nonetheless: http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/ff11/index.htm)

But at least I can make sense of the website! :) (damn wikis).
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

Wes

And I have officially lost my mind on this Star Wars project.

It all started because they are closing out the latest Risk Star Wars and I thought 'Damn, I can make a tactical fighter game from the bits for less than one expansion for the FFG game' and less than a week later I have more coming in the mail and am starting on large space tiles to break it out on.

If anyone wants in they are selling it for $18.08 at Wal-Mart online and Amazon is price matching it. I understand this is the cheapest anyone has ever seen it.

Now back to compiling my list of battles from the Galactic Civil War...it's gonna get bloody all up in here :)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

BanzaiCat

Wes

I've read mixed reviews of the game proper (its not really being Risk (traditional) the biggest complaint).

I just know that mini for mini you can't get that deal anywhere. I'm doing Capital ships as tokens and pulling planet tiles from Disaster Looms to match the planets from the Star Wars Atlas. Finding the rules from the issue of Star Wars Gamer magazine for Star Wars Silent Death looks like a good place to start.
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Wes on February 02, 2016, 10:21:22 PM
I've read mixed reviews of the game proper (it's not really being Risk (traditional) the biggest complaint).

No, it's definitely not Risk, insofar as the base game is concerned.

However, it's fun to me because it has several things going on at once. It reminds me a lot of the old game Queen's Gambit, which I'd love, love to have but is so out of print and in demand that you'll find copies for upwards of $600 online.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-the-Queens-Gambit/dp/B00005EBA9

My daughter and I played it four times during Christmas break...all in a row. The Rebels won each time. The game is heavily in their favor, though winning is not always a sure thing. In one of our games with me playing the Rebels, she was decimating my forces. Last minute I was finally able to bring the Death Star shield down and managed to get one X-Wing next to her Death Star...and rolled a '6,' blowing it up. (I had maybe three Rebel fighters left, whereas I think you start with 40 or so of them.) LOTS and LOTS of luck, but that meant a game that was nail-biting and went right down to the wire. We liked it a lot.

Wes

I've bought a ton of Risk games lately that are 'themed' I guess is the right word and think they all read pretty good. Other folks seem to have a problem with them but with all the great bits inside you can't help but find some fun in there somewhere :)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.